User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
ktm33b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
registering a gs from NV to CA plates

Just wondering if any of you guys in Cali have bought an out of state bike and how much the fees/ hastle it was to get done. Is there special CA only smog equipment that comes with a california model. The bike in question is a 2009 f800gs. Thanks in advance
ktm33b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
FullSails
Rugged

Oddometer: 30
I think all BMW's are 50 state legal and as long as the bike has over 7500mi all you need to do is insure and register.
FullSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
ktm33b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bikw only has 3k. One of the reasons for the post.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 674
If your bike has the charcoal canister, you'll be fine.
The fees have gone up, that's the price for living close to great riding.
PM me if you're going to be in Norcal... I'll show you some fun places to ride/eat/camp.
Cheers,
S.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
A quick look on the DMV site will reveal all you need to know but;

All BMWs are 50 state legal so mileage is NOT an issue.

You will need to know where three things are on the bike; vin # location, engine # location, CA emissions sticker location.

Have these three items clean and point them out for the DMV tech when you get there for your inspection.

There is no need to go to the CHP and there is no equipment inspection. Only the items I stated are reviewed along with the title and paperwork you fill out. Fill ALL the paperwork out before getting to the DMV. If you are near Placerville I will be happy to help you.

You will have to pay taxes if this is a purchase. Know the value you are claiming as this is the value you pay sales tax on.

I have done this process several times and it is so stupid easy as long as you do the above and are nice. Don't cop an attitude and don't expect the DMV tech to know anything about where your information is or should be. Full out your paperwork, have the information clean and identified bstore you get there and all will be in and out in 30 minutes from the time you get to the counter. Seriously!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
In general it is very simple and straight forward as 1bmwfan already pointed out.

However here's the problem that you might run into. The bike only has 3K and the rules say that the vehicle to be registered has to be older than 6 month and >7500 miles driven before.

When we moved it was no issue as I was able to proove that my 4 year old KLR650 was bought while living outside of CA. Otherwise they might have given me a problem (and I would not have been the first one having this issue either).

Check with the DMV first. Be VERY friendly. If they say NO it is game over.

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,861
I went thur some hassles bringing my 06 KTM 950 from AZ a few months back,its gonna depend on who you get stuck with at the DMV also. I had to strip the bike to show the 50 state emission legal sticker on the frame under the fuel tank even when the KTM manual clearly stated "all 950s" are Ca emissions compliant, had to show the Vin#, EPA saftey equpiment sticker, mileage on ODO & engine#...3 times to 3 different techs.
I was told and shown documents to support if a bike is sold and the title/mileage affidavit or BOS shows it had less than 7K miles at the time it entered Ca you cannot register it in Ca. If anything leave the out of state plates on it,dont fill out the mileage part and ride the hell out of it till it hits 7+K miles.
Its a F'ing joke here in Ca anymore, I took copies of the DMV website info on bringing a bike into Ca and they said its wrong and needs updating, here's the reg book which they showed me which was different and about 500 pages long.
There used to be a $300 impact fee for bringing a vehicle into Ca, at least thats gone but it still cost me $500.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post

However here's the problem that you might run into. The bike only has 3K and the rules say that the vehicle to be registered has to be older than 6 month and >7500 miles driven before.

Reiner
The rules do state that BUT the rest of the story is that this ONLY applies to vehicles that are NOT emissions compliant to CA rules as new. Since ALL BMWs are 50 state legal this rule is not applicable.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan View Post
The rules do state that BUT the rest of the story is that this ONLY applies to vehicles that are NOT emissions compliant to CA rules as new. Since ALL BMWs are 50 state legal this rule is not applicable.
I've heard of enough cases where the DMV didn't care about the last part. Plus once it gets rejected it is in the system and you will NEVER be able to register the bike under your name.......

While technically it is possible and if the DMV people have enough experience with the process it should be a simple matter of showing all stickers etc. However if you deal with a person not having it done before you're options are nill. This has always kept me away from buying anything below the 6 month/7500 mile limit out of state.....

Reiner
'05 KLR650
Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
I've heard of enough cases where the DMV didn't care about the last part. Plus once it gets rejected it is in the system and you will NEVER be able to register the bike under your name...
Wait... Are you suggesting that some bureaucrats at the DMV are ignorant, inflexible, irrational, and inconsistent?

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Wait... Are you suggesting that some bureaucrats at the DMV are ignorant, inflexible, irrational, and inconsistent?
I would never do that, Sir!

Reiner
'05 KLR650
Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
ktm33b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Scary! !!!". Clearly two different schools of thought. Shall I roll the dice? Hmmm...
Old 04-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm33b View Post
Scary! !!!". Clearly two different schools of thought. Shall I roll the dice? Hmmm...

There is no rolling the dice! As long as you have the emissions label in place along with the other items it's a breeze.

I want to hear first hand from ANYONE who has actually had a 50 state legal bike denied registration when the required items were in place. Anyone! No he said, I have an uncle's brother's neice's sister's cousin either.

Yes, many stories of gray markets, baja kits, bikes that aren't properly or legally marked. I get that. But here's the simple fact, if you have the VIN, engine number, and emissions sticker that states 50 state legal and the numbers all match each other and the title you're done. Simple!

These chicken little the sky is falling stories are really just that.

I showed up with a Texas registered R1200GS Adventure with 800 miles on it. I had the paperwork filled out, I knew exactly where the numbers/stickers were, I had my paperwork filled out, I knew where the out of state corresponding paperwork numbers/info were located and I was in and out in less than 30 minutes from the time I got to the counter, with plates in hand.

Yes, there are ignorant employees. That's why you do their homework for them and have it all done before you get there. No questions asked.

PM me and I'll help you with it. It'll take me less time than reading and replying to this thread.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan View Post
A quick look on the DMV site will reveal all you need to know but;

All BMWs are 50 state legal so mileage is NOT an issue.

You will need to know where three things are on the bike; vin # location, engine # location, CA emissions sticker location.

Have these three items clean and point them out for the DMV tech when you get there for your inspection.

There is no need to go to the CHP and there is no equipment inspection. Only the items I stated are reviewed along with the title and paperwork you fill out. Fill ALL the paperwork out before getting to the DMV. If you are near Placerville I will be happy to help you.

You will have to pay taxes if this is a purchase. Know the value you are claiming as this is the value you pay sales tax on.

I have done this process several times and it is so stupid easy as long as you do the above and are nice. Don't cop an attitude and don't expect the DMV tech to know anything about where your information is or should be. Full out your paperwork, have the information clean and identified bstore you get there and all will be in and out in 30 minutes from the time you get to the counter. Seriously!!!!
This post is exactly right. I've been through it three times myself.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
ktm33b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, spoke directly to the DMV district supervisor on the phone regarding the issue(for over 30 monutes). What a cluster frack CA is. Apparently the 50 state legal law carries no weight IF a vehicle was purchased from another state with LESS than 7500 miles on thebike. There are a few exceptions but those are so fn ridiculous they are not worth mentioning. I pointed out rhe obvious "this is a 50 state bike" and having all of the numbers and paperwork ready.....The short answer from the DMV is they absolutely unequivocaly will not register any out of state car or motorcycle over 50cc..period. CA is a joke in my opinion. I must move soon.