User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,845
Review: Wolfman's Rolie Bag system.

Disclaimer: The owner of Wolfman is a buddy of mine. He gave me the small Rolie bag in this review at my 40th birthday party a few weeks ago; so I did not pay for it. That said, I like the system and would have been happy to pay for it. Eric did not ask me to do this review; I'm doing it for my fellow Orange Crush Imates - not for him

If you do call Wolfman to ask questions about Rolie bags (or for whatever reason) please be sure to tell Eric or Dusty that "Geek says you are a hoser and you owe him a beer"

Wolfman's Rolie Bag System.

The first time I got to see the Rolie bag system was during the wolfman photo shoot last fall. They were the bags (large size) installed on my bike's fuel tanks (both as tank paniers and as a tank bag) during the photo shoot that day

...at the end of the day I was sworn to secrecy (as the product hadn't yet been released) and the bags went back under cover.

It was the reason the jump photo had to be mosaic'd when I posted it

What's up with that?

Fast forward...

In the Back in Black thread last week I mentioned that I had gotten the rolie bag and was thinking of using it on top of my rear pelican case. When I put my Safari tanks on I lost the use of my A990 crash bar bags (which are awesome) and was looking for a new place to carry a few fundamentals I always like to have on the bike.

If you have crash bars, the A990 bags are a GREAT way to store some gear on your bike

the Rolie Bag system is just that - a system. It was designed to be completely waterproof and versatile and work in a number of ways on a number of different bikes with the different mounting options and bag size options. Rather than try and explain it all.. take a look at their website if you are interested; I'm just going to show in this thread how it went together on my 950.

This was loosely the plan:

I got around to actually mounting it today.

The eyelets/tiedown points I chose are from a wolfman "bottle mounting kit". The price is right at $15.
http://wolfmanluggage.com/Accessorie...lster_kit.html
The cool thing about them is they come with rubber washers to seal the holes so that my pelican remains waterproof

Basically 4 of these setups:

...and then as you tighten them down they squish out the rubbers and seal it up

..and voila - I now have 4 cool tie downs for strapping stuff on my pelican

The Rolie bag itself comes with straps that include strap "holders" (for the loose ends) and velcro for mounting.

I stuck the velcro strips in between my tie downs like so:

so that they lay down through the eyes

Note the strap holders go "upside down" so that when I pull the strap up and over they'll be right side up.

go up through the clip (or whatever you call it )

then back through to secure it

Then the little clips hold the loose ends

...the bag is now secure on top of the case

This Rolie bag is the small size. It doesn't hold a lot.. only 4 or 5 liters maybe?

In mine I put:

my first aid kit:

...and one heavy duty tube

...and it is pretty much full. I could probably squeeze in some duct tape, jbweld and some zip ties just so I always have them if I need them.

That's all there is to it. I now have a completely waterproof storage bag in a convenient location that I can easily open/close/use without having to mount/unmount anything.

I'm going to buy a medium size bag and maybe a large size bag as well. The bags are stackable and clip to eachother. I figure having one of each size will give me more versatility... but even with just the small one on there I now have a great place to carry a tube and my first aid kit all the time without having to carry my luggage.

Geek screwed with this post 04-05-2011 at 03:54 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
I'm considering the large as a tank bag, a waterproof place for the SLR. Can you comment on riding standing with the large tank bag? Was it reasonably out of the way when riding technical terrain?

Your black beast is looking trick trick trick!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Actually I was pretty surprised by how well it worked as a tank bag. Due to the shape it is extra-low when you stand over it so you aren't "humping" it. I rode offroad with the thing all day and never noticed it whatsoever

Personally I'm not a fan of tank panniers so I doubt I'd ever run those even though they seamed to work well enough.

All the Rolie's are definitely water proof. As for how well it'd work as an SLR case.. How big is your SLR and what are you going to pad it with?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
skipman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Is that the wolfman saddlebag mounts? If so are the easily removed when not in use?

'10 KTM 990r
skipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Those are the gobi racks.. works well with the wolfman bags as well.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
that's a cool idea and think that is what I need for the top of the Happy-trail.com panniers. Thanks for the idea
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Actually I was pretty surprised by how well it worked as a tank bag. Due to the shape it is extra-low when you stand over it so you aren't "humping" it. I rode offroad with the thing all day and never noticed it whatsoever

Personally I'm not a fan of tank panniers so I doubt I'd ever run those even though they seamed to work well enough.

All the Rolie's are definitely water proof. As for how well it'd work as an SLR case.. How big is your SLR and what are you going to pad it with?

Maybe you remember my set up from last summer: A shaped, padded SLR bag INSIDE my KTM tank bag. I like that system for quick access, but the drawbacks are the waterproofness and discomfort riding in a relaxed standing position. I'd like to get a tank bag that can still accomodate my camera bag but is smaller/lower/forward for more standing room, and waterproof would be a great bonus.

How fiddgety would you say the roll-top openings are? Can it be opened and closed relatively easy while, say, seated on the bike (if used as a tank bag, with the opening end facing towards you, back/down)? I think maybe I need to see one in person to know if it's really gonna work.

I'm also thinking of modifying the SLR bag itself and making IT the tank bag. I'd need to make some sort of harness, similar to the Rollie system perhaps and add straps and D-rings. Hmmmm... I'd need some sort of rain cover and/or everything in zip-lock bags.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Personally.. i really like the roll top. The bag on pelican because of the way its attached allows me to unclip, unroll, pull something out, roll back up and clip in a few seconds without touching the mounting system.

That said, I dunno how well it'd work with your camera.. would you put the opening toward your lap or the top? I guess you need to trial fit it to see
Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
that's a cool idea and think that is what I need for the top of the Happy-trail.com panniers. Thanks for the idea
You live in Mena? Lucky you! I always thought that'd be a great town to open a motorcycle bed & breakfast in.

I can't count how many knees I dragged on the Talimena scenic biway back in my sportbike days

Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
You live in Mena? Lucky you! I always thought that'd be a great town to open a motorcycle bed & breakfast in.

I can't count how many knees I dragged on the Talimena scenic biway back in my sportbike days

How many knees do you have?

Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to happen upon someone with a large Rollie bag "in the field." Sweet.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Or.. when you come visit me, the wolfman factory is 10 miles away; we'll go for a visit

p.s. you live in Texas.. have you gone up and ran the Talimena from Mena Ar. to Talihena, Ok?
Great way to spend a weekend.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:

yep fun road, lots of DS riding here as well, but I spend most of august in Colorado normally just before and after Greg's big dog ride
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Or.. when you come visit me, the wolfman factory is 10 miles away; we'll go for a visit

p.s. you live in Texas.. have you gone up and ran the Talimena from Mena Ar. to Talihena, Ok?
Great way to spend a weekend.

I'm FROM Oklahoma! Talimena is a hoot to ride, haven't done it in a long time. The only fun road in OK, and it's on the way out! I've ridden NW Arkansas a few times, good fun. Isn't that where there is a road sign that reads "Dangerous Curves next 77 miles?" I mean,

Well okay then, we'll go to Wolfman! Summer is approaching fast... Bring it.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I need to get back and visit the region.

Arkansas is definitely sportbike nirvana. I never tried any dual sport riding around there but was always curious about all the fire roads & the like in the Broken Bow area.

You mentioned northwest: We had a run we called the "Chicken Run" (because of all the chicken coops along the way) which included the Pig Trail. It ran from Boonville Arkansas to Eureka Springs - 100 miles of nothing but 30mph signed corners

Yer from Oklahoma? That explains a lot...

Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Any photos of it mounted as a tank bag?
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote