Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #211
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Not disconnecting the throttle cables from my carb while doing an engine rebuild. I draped them over the handlebars. Next day my dad helping out on the bike moves the bars and my carb swings like tarzan into the jack stand and breaks a tab the cables hook into. 30$ and a week later I have a replacement part. I was lucky to have lost a replaceable piece.

other bad one was not noticing the motor I was building had a bent connecting rod until I had purchased all the parts for the rebuild. Had to scrap the whole bottom end. Long sorry short, half my new parts were not compatible with the parts bike bottom end I was now building off...
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #212
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
I don't know were to start, there have been so many. But my favorite is back when I had a 741/2 MGB my wife and I came home one night, the MG was in the garage, I hit the garage opener, when the door opens we noticed the floor was all wet, we get out of the car and the smell of gasoline is enough to make your eyes water. Seems the little car was a bit incontinent and a fuel line to the gas tank broke dumping it's contents. The thing is I was amazed the garage didn't blow up when I opened the door and not only that, but the fumes made it to the basement where the furnace with a pilot light was.
Then there was the time with the arc welder and setting a lot of rags on fire,,,,,,
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #213
red83gt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
i pulled the engine in my mustang to put head gaskets on,,had it on the engine stand and decided to do some "while im here work"..any way i put it back in filled it with all vital fluids,reconnected everything,,tried to start it and nothing,,it just turned over and refused to fire...damn,,it was running fine when i took it out!!!!checked everything,,timeing,,gettin volts everywhere im supposed to be gettin volts,,woundnt fire,,,pissed off i went to bed and my wife asked me why im so pissy this morning,,so i told her the story...she asked "did u connect the fuel line??" of course i did im not stupid......so im standing in the garage lookin at the engine sippin a cup of coffee then i saw it...yeah im not stupid the fuel line was connected to the carb......but the line from the fuel tank to the fuel pump was not!!!!! yeah im stupid and she still laughs at me!!!!!LOL,,so do i!!!!
red83gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #214
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
earned a nickname

Standing outside my 1st car.
just installed some sweet speakers in the fiberboard headliner.
Ran wires under the plastic trim around the windshield sides.
pushing the screwdriver against the self taping screws firmly upward.
screwdriver slipped and went straight up my nose! Not a stubby.
I fell straight back. Screwdriver still in. Water running out my nose.
My friend fell down in laughter and pissed himself.
I was numb for two weeks. Only on the right side like my body was split in two straight down the middle.
it wasn't water I later learned. But I'm ok I swear
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #215
Panick
shake, rattle & roll

Oddometer: 23
cracked case

I had a faulty ignition pick up in my 1993 Duc Monster. Got a good used one from Ebay.
So I decided to remove the leftside altenator cover. I made a puller myself and removed all the allen head screws (I thought!) Installed the puller and started pulling. Hmmm that cover is tight. Pull a bit harder. Hmmm seems to stick a bit, Pull some more. Still stuck. Fiddled with it for some time got pissed of and just screwed the puller until.... the cover broke in 3 pieces. I had forgotten the small allen head that sits behind the clutch slave cilinder.
That was FU no. 1.
Got a good used cover from ebay after some weeks.
Decided to paint it as it was a bit scruffy.
So I cleaned it up and painted it. Next day I went to paint the other side cover. I cleaned and prepped it with a cloth with paint thinner. Then laid that cloth on the work bench. Some time later I had to move my fresh painted left side cover and for reason unknown I decided to put it on the cloth with thinner thus destroying my nice paint job.

Sometimes I am so incredibly stupid........
Panick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #216
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Was fabbing some side tables for my lift when a buddy stopped by to pick up his bike I had been working on. Grabbed a gas can from the pole barn, splashed a gallon or two in his tank and sent him on his way.

Went back to my welding and at my next break was horrified to find that I'd set the plastic 1/2 full gas can down under where I was welding while shooting the BS with my buddy and forgot to move it. It had bits of slag and such on it. Definitely a runner up for a Darwin award that day!
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #217
sebastianhammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Centerstand

Just this week, I was replacing a leaky front fork seal on my BMW airhead. It was on the centerstand, wheel off, and I was tugging hard on a new rubber gaiter to get it over the lip on the fork slider. One particularly hard tug and the bike starts to slowly tip over, then forward off the centerstand. Fortunately, its fall was cushioned by the plastic container that held the old fork oil, which exploded and sent oil in all directions.

Only my pride was damaged, as I had to call my son in to help me get the poor bike back on its feet. It really IS a good idea to secure the stand when you have a wheel off.
sebastianhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #218
TEXASYETI
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grider Pirate View Post
45 years of doing dumb things in my (various) garage(s)! It would be difficult to pick just one, and I tend to do really complicated dumb things. Heres a simple one: Completely rebuilt a Toyota engine (with only 60,000 miles on it) that wasn't running well. Everything measured fine, but it was apart, so it got new rings, valve job, and bearings. Still ran like shit when I finished, so THEN I spent 10 minutes and 10 bucks on new spark plug wires. Ran fine, and I never opened that motor back up for over 320,000 additional miles.
That's my MO. Spend weeks and thousands of dollars fixing something that was a much smaller and less expensive problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Oh, oh, I got another one. I have 4 capacitors in my big machine (floor sander) and one had a hair line crack in the body, so I thought I should replace it. Well, I forgot one important detail. I forgot to discharge the capacitor...and I've no comment after that as the details are still.... fuzzy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
Don't put your finger directly under whatever it is you're drilling into, especially if it's thin fiberglass. That way you don't have to slowly unscrew the bit out of your mangled, bleeding flesh. The same goes for holding whatever wood chunk you're whittling with a Dremel tool and its tiny circular saw blade.

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #219
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianhammer View Post
Fortunately, its fall was cushioned by the plastic container that held the old fork oil, which exploded and sent oil in all directions.
When I got my R90 out of a pile of trash in the previous owners garage, I took an oil bottle off the seat and set it on the floor. He pulled out a ladder and started pulling parts out of the rafters. He jumped backwards off the ladders second step (), landed on the oil bottle, and it exploded in a splash of oil covering everything.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #220
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
red hot steel and bare skin

needing a bracket, I cut it out with the cutting torch. the still glowing red hot piece fell to the shop floor. with my gloved hand holding the pliers, I tried to pick it up, however I could not grab it as it was too flat on that side. so, with my ungloved hand, I reached down and turned the red hot bracket over so I could pick it up with the pliers. I am still amazed at how stupid I was to do that .
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #221
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 563
Junkyard engine...

When my son turned 16 we let him have my wife's old car, a Mazda 323 with a crappy engine. I had him help me put a junkyard engine in it so he'd gain confidence in wrenching. Started it up, ran fine. Next day he took it over to his buddy's house about 20 min away. I'd forgotten to make sure we tightened the heater hose. It overheated, stranded him on the freeway and cracked the head. I think what he really learned was Dads do dumb things. We had it towed to a junkyard.
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #222
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 719
Fuel Line

The stupid thing I ALMOST did in the garage:

I was trying to push a 30 year old clear plastic fuel line onto a carb nipple (?) and the old plastic was so inelastic that try as I might, I just couldn't get it to go on. I stretched the opening with a screw driver to no avail.

While I didn't ACTUALLY do it, I kept thinking, maybe if I just heat the end of this tube (the other end of which, was connected to the gas tank) with a lighter, it will go on much more easily. This thought, fortunately, was immediately followed by the thought "NO IDIOT--THIS IS A GAS LINE!!. I went through the same process: EPIPHANY, REALIZATION, DERISION, FRUSTRATION several times throughout the course of the afternoon. Somehow, I finally got it on without blowing myself up.

Chico screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 01:37 PM
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #223
Barnwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Not jacking the front end off the ground before pulling the fork caps on a '78 GS1000. I think the springs hit the ceiling after the second cap cleared the last thread..
We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous.
Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:28 AM   #224
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,109
Probably time to dredge this thread back to the top & see what other people have been up to in their garages... so that I can comfort myself that I'm not the only self confessed idiot of there.

Here's a lesson to all you aspiring BMW mechanics. You block the crank to stop the crankshaft moving forward when you are changing the flywheel or replacing the main or oil pump seals. This stops you having to do a crank up rebuild when the thrust washer comes off its peg.

Conversely, it's generally a good idea to remove the object you have blocked the crank with before you start the bike. Otherwise at first start up there is this horrific squealing, then a big bang, & you discover that this has happened...

. and you get to spend some more money at Motorworks.

Maybe next time I'll write myself a note... Steve

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #225
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post

. and you get to spend some more money at Motorworks.
JB Weld and duct tape
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote