User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
TDMTAM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Laugh Scotland, The Rang way Roon

Excuse my first attempt at a RR but thought I'd share my resent trip I have just done with a few of the guys I work with.
First off the name "the Rang way Roon" (has to be said with a Scottish accent) its a name we came up with whilst discussing & planning the trip at work. It is bit of a p**s take of Ewan & charlies adventures (not that I have anything against them after all it was their adventure & they still had to do the mileage)

The Route was set to take us up the west coast of Scotland then along the top to Dunnet Point & John O'Groats before heading back down the east coast, then through the Central belt back to Glasgow.
The Bikes; there was myself on my Yamaha TDM900 & my fellow workmates were on BMW R1200GS, Triumph 750 Trident, Honda CBF600 & finally a Suzuki 125 Marauder.
The Pictures;

After an early start we stopped for Breakfast at Tyndrum a bit of a gateway for heading out to the North West of Scotland. After a quick refuel of food we then headed on up through Glen Coe up passed Fort William then on to the Eilean Donan Castle

Then a quick ride over to Skye for a spot of lunch at The Hebridean in Broadford.

before back tracking a bit back up the kyle of Lochalsh to our first nights dig at the Ratagan Youth Hostel. You will notice the pace was not a fast one as wee had 2 novice riders in the group.
Day 2 seen us head of from Ratagan back down the Kyle of Lochalsh before turning off for Loch Carron

and then heading north for Ullapool

Ullapool
From Ullapool we continued north to Durness

Durness

At this point we had gone as far north as we could go on the west coast so changing direction we started heading east towards Castletown passing the stunning views from the Tongue causeway

We spent that night at the Castletown Hotel a biker friendly place.
Next morning we set off with the aim of visiting the most northerly point of the British Main land Dunnet Head the has a lighthouse was built in 1831 by Robert Stevenson, grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson & during WWII housed a radar & observation center to protect the Naval base in Scapa Flow.

Whilst we were in the vicinity it would have been rude not to visit John O'Groats to see the famous sign post

That you have to pay 5 to get your picture taken at. As you can see they remove the sign when they are not there!

Not to worry we improvised.

Near by there is the Duncansby Head another site for a light house

and also the rock formation the call the Duncansby Head Stacks

I will continue this soon if I have not bored you all to sleep.
Excuse the grainy photos as they were taken from my Oregon ACT5k cam on the bike.
TAM

TDMTAM screwed with this post 04-10-2011 at 12:53 AM
TDMTAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
Always enjoy Ride Reports from Scotland. Isle of Skye is one of my favorite places on earth. Weather looked decent for Scotland.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote