Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,220
XR650R dual sport - I'm confused (electrical)

I'm currently making a dual sport setup for my XR650R. I am either going to re-wind the stator myself or go with a Ricky Stator 200w one. Here's my question.

Ricky Stator's website shows a AC Voltage Regulator for $19, and a single phase rectifier for $53. I know that the voltage regulator will give me ac power, and the rectifier will give me dc. With the rectifier I would have to add a battery or capicator. My question is, what componants could I use to just keep the A/C power and not mess with the DC? I found some Autozone LED's that I can use for the blinkers and brake lights, but I don't know if they will light up with AC power. Also, if I were to use AC power and LED blinkers, what would I use for the flasher relay?

My plan is for right now to get the stator done and get turn signals and brake light hooked up, keeping the stock headlight. Later on when I have some extra money laying around I'll upgrade the headlight, but for now I just want it legal to ride. I'm in Ohio, with no inspection, so I'm not worried about a horn or having to have the lights running when thebike is off. I probably have enough juice off the stock stator to run the brake lights and turn signals if I go LED, but if not it's no big deal.

Thanks for the help. It seems like every post I read says something different, I can't find a straight answer.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
The stock stator will power the stock headlight + turn sigs and stuff. You only need to re-wind if you want a headlight > 35wts really. My XR came with a 55W headlight and stock stator. That was dumb on the PO's part as the headlight only works if its revved up and I don't touch the brake

I intend to send the stator out to baja designs for their 250W re-wind here soon

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
My stock stator powers a 55w headlight and tail/brake light ok. Dims at idle a little.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Ridin Dirty
What day is it?

Oddometer: 182
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421789
Ridin Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
anatinae
As Bad As Can

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I'm currently making a dual sport setup for my XR650R. I am either going to re-wind the stator myself or go with a Ricky Stator 200w one. Here's my question.

Ricky Stator's website shows a AC Voltage Regulator for $19, and a single phase rectifier for $53. I know that the voltage regulator will give me ac power, and the rectifier will give me dc. With the rectifier I would have to add a battery or capicator. My question is, what componants could I use to just keep the A/C power and not mess with the DC? I found some Autozone LED's that I can use for the blinkers and brake lights, but I don't know if they will light up with AC power. Also, if I were to use AC power and LED blinkers, what would I use for the flasher relay?

My plan is for right now to get the stator done and get turn signals and brake light hooked up, keeping the stock headlight. Later on when I have some extra money laying around I'll upgrade the headlight, but for now I just want it legal to ride. I'm in Ohio, with no inspection, so I'm not worried about a horn or having to have the lights running when the bike is off. I probably have enough juice off the stock stator to run the brake lights and turn signals if I go LED, but if not it's no big deal.

Thanks for the help. It seems like every post I read says something different, I can't find a straight answer.

I have some of the same questions but definitely do not want to get into adding a battery. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the BRP in the 1st place. Simplicity rules on this bike, IMO. I am getting ready to rewind my stator, but have to locate a vendor that has 18ga mag wire.
anatinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
You need a variable load flasher that is available at numerous auto parts stores. However, I believe they only work on DC and not on AC. Most LEDs work on DC, but some will go either way.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty View Post
Read it, couldn't find my answer. Seems like most guys are switching to DC for the turn signals. Guess I should have posted in there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
You need a variable load flasher that is available at numerous auto parts stores. However, I believe they only work on DC and not on AC. Most LEDs work on DC, but some will go either way.
Does anyone know where I can get a variable load flasher that will work on AC, and LED's that work on AC?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I rewound my own stator with 22 gauge magnet wire from radio shack. 22 gauge is the stock size but only on four poles. I left the stock winding and added the other six poles and tied them all together. (Larger gauge would be MUCH better but 22 was the largest I could find two days before a night endurance race) I use only DC voltage with a Baja Designs regulator and a small NiCad battery pack (Bunch of AA batterys). Powers up a dual sport kit and a 35 watt HID head lamp. Everything works at idle. I have two 35 watt HIDs on the bike but I havent got to see if both work at idle yet because I broke one head light off before I could run them.

I don't think a full dual sport kit will work on AC but I could be wrong. DC is much easier for me.

Capt. Egregious screwed with this post 02-01-2011 at 07:36 PM
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

The led signals I have work AC but I have yet to find a flasher that will work. I've heard the BD flasher will work but I have not tried it.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 AM   #10
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
The led signals I have work AC but I have yet to find a flasher that will work. I've heard the BD flasher will work but I have not tried it.

Where did you get your signals at? It's a start anyways. I'm going to start making phone calls today, hopefully I can find something out about a flasher. I'm half tempted to just have a push button for each side and flash them myself.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Where did you get your signals at? It's a start anyways. I'm going to start making phone calls today, hopefully I can find something out about a flasher. I'm half tempted to just have a push button for each side and flash them myself.
They are cheap eBay ones. I'll hafta look and see if I still have the link. Mine has a regular bike switch. It's kind of a pain to do manually with this type of switch but that's what I've been doing. I'm like you, I don't want a battery, I like the simplicity. Even if I made or bought a rewound stator I would still not want a battery.