Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 09:06 PM   #31
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
The first time I did one was at Passy and Vrago's Sacto Tech Day on ex-GSpilot, now LC4pilot's '02 Adventure. Quick and easy it was... and it sounded bitchin' too!

Vrago's brilliant idea to stuff a wooden dowel into the hole as a guide for the centering drill bit was ah... brilliant!
I meant with the carb and rejetting part.

Yeah, wish I had thought of that when I did my exhaust. Nothing like trying to hold the exhaust and the drill, to get it out. The words monkey and football come to mind.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #32
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
I meant with the carb and rejetting part.

Yeah, wish I had thought of that when I did my exhaust. Nothing like trying to hold the exhaust and the drill, to get it out. The words monkey and football come to mind.
What's even funnier... you are a carpenter kind-O-guy.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #33
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,576
Thank you gentlemen.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #34
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave
Thank you gentlemen.
Send me a bottle of Bailey's and we'll call it even.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #35
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,249
Not a lot of miles on mine yet but here goes...

SWmotech sidestand
Knobbies
HD tubes
Pro-Tapers (Pastrana FMX)
Re-jet
Air box cover
Muffler
Wolfman Tank bag and tail bag
KTM road book holder
Touratech MVG GPS mount

There goes your grand
Old 02-02-2005, 06:38 AM   #36
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,840
Quote:
Thank you gentlemen.
Hey SSD- could you pls post a detail pic of the front brake reservoir and clearance between it and the handlebar on the '05?? Thank U!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:47 PM   #37
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Hey SSD- could you pls post a detail pic of the front brake reservoir and clearance between it and the handlebar on the '05?? Thank U!
Sorry - have the '02.

'13 350EXC-F
Old 02-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #38
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Your mods are almost identical. You start out with a 142.5 main jet, so you'll be going to a 152.5 as a starting point. If anything, it may be a bit rich.
Some folks with pre '03 LC4s have felt the need to richen the pilot circuit. This can be done by installing a richer fuel jet or a leaner air jet. You will have to decide for yourself if this is really needed.

Creeper
I really don't want to punch holes in the airbox sidecover right now for several reasons. Among them, if I understand correctly, with the FCR it's OK to just use the open top cover for the airbox. Assuming I fall in love in love with the Adv and decide it's a long-term keeper, I'll pop for the FCR down the road. So, at this point, I'm going to to do all the other mods except the airbox side holes. I thought I might try a 150 main first since it should be flowing a little less. Without reading all the old threads, is the open airbox top cover really a bad idea on a BST40? I'll go with your opinion on the matter.
Any of you guys remember Dael Lineaweaver's "magic airbox" for the DR350? Added like 4 or 5HP just by airbox design. Too bad no one has one for the LC-4.

'13 350EXC-F
Old 02-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #39
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
I really don't want to punch holes in the airbox sidecover right now for several reasons. Among them, if I understand correctly, with the FCR it's OK to just use the open top cover for the airbox. Assuming I fall in love in love with the Adv and decide it's a long-term keeper, I'll pop for the FCR down the road. So, at this point, I'm going to to do all the other mods except the airbox side holes. I thought I might try a 150 main first since it should be flowing a little less. Without reading all the old threads, is the open airbox top cover really a bad idea on a BST40? I'll go with your opinion on the matter.
Any of you guys remember Dael Lineaweaver's "magic airbox" for the DR350? Added like 4 or 5HP just by airbox design. Too bad no one has one for the LC-4.
The standard side airbox part should do it - isn't it the same as the one Sommer KTM tested and gave the thumb's up?

The BST wants a tuned airbox, but I doubt its a prima donna, like the FCR is in other ways...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:49 PM   #40
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Well, I think you're making a mistake. I just bought the KTM Hard Parts open airbox racing cover, and installed it on my bike yesterday. The difference was immediately noticeable. The part cost $31.45. I still have the stock cover to go back to (or carry in case of serious water crossings) anytime I feel the need.

Alternatively, you could just hack up your stocker, and fabricate some mesh covering for pennies. Then, if and when you get that FCR down the line, you can just buy a replacement cover. The stock plastic one costs $10.04 available at any KTM dealer. That price is from the KTM World site. For $10.04, you can have your cake and eat it too. Trust me, it's tasty cake. Why would you want to deprive yourself of some very inexpensive and tangible performance enhancement?

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:59 PM   #41
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfphoto
I just read the thread about what to get first for your KLR, well, I would like to address that for the KTM 640 Adventure.

If you had a brand new one, what would you get first? or what needs to be changed first?
ahh budget.. $1000
Since I haven't answered the original question yet, here's my $.02, and I do have a brand new to me '02 that was bone stock with 1200 miles on it when I picked it up about 3 weeks ago.

Mod/Part Cost
Rejetted to 152.5 Free*
Drilled ports on Slide Assembly Free**
Raised Needle one notch Free**
Cored Stock Supertrapp Exhaust Free**
Added a few disks to total 11 Free*
KTM Open Air Box Racing Cover $30.45
TT Headlight Protector $39.00
TT Sprocket Cover (Bling) $52.10
TT Rear Rack Extension $53.50
Blue Ridge Stage 1 Tool Kit $119.00
Motion Pro Feeler Gauge .006 $4.00
KTM Billet Fuel Cap (Bling) $44.05
Check valve for fuel cap Vent $14.95
Orange Anodized Master Cyl. Cover (Bling)$23.63
SW Mototech Side Stand (on order) $99.00
EXC Chain Roller Guide (on order) $43.70
Grand Total $523.38
$ left over to play with $476.62

* 152.5 Jet courtesy of a kind soul from NorCal LC4 640 Tech Daze (I forgot who though... was it Vincent?!)
** Thanks to Creeper

Down the line:
Conti TKC-80’s (SOON!)
Renazco (Boejangles) Dual Sport seat (Soon)
Garmin 276C GPS + TT Mount (Not so soon)
Akrapovic Exhaust (maybe, but definitely NOT so soon)
Panniers and hard side cases (definitely, but maybe not so soon)

Nom de Guerre screwed with this post 02-03-2005 at 11:38 AM
Old 02-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #42
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Send me a bottle of Bailey's and we'll call it even.
Gee, hate to entrust that to a freight carrier; perhaps I can just give it to you next time you are passing through Georgia...

I was actually in the middle of typing this last night when lightining hit a tree about 15 feet from the house, ending my surfing for the night. Goodbye cable modem, VoIP router, cordless phone, sprinkler controller, DVD player, etc.

'13 350EXC-F
Old 02-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #43
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Well, I think you're making a mistake. I just bought the KTM Hard Parts open airbox racing cover, and installed it on my bike yesterday. The difference was immediately noticeable. The part cost $31.45. I still have the stock cover to go back to (or carry in case of serious water crossings) anytime I feel the need.

Alternatively, you could just hack up your stocker, and fabricate some mesh covering for pennies. Then, if and when you get that FCR down the line, you can just buy a replacement cover. The stock plastic one costs $10.04 available at any KTM dealer. That price is from the KTM World site. For $10.04, you can have your cake and eat it too. Trust me, it's tasty cake. Why would you want to deprive yourself of some very inexpensive and tangible performance enhancement?
As usual, I'm confused. I assume you are talking about the open airbox TOP cover. I though that was not recommended for BST's, but OK for FCR's. I thought Creeper was talking about punching holes in the SIDE cover of the airbox. I would love to put the open airbox TOP cover on. I know it would add some cool intake noises regardless of performance. So did you add 583.06.002.200 or 584.06.003.200 or 587.06.003.100? I'll order what you ordered. Thanks to all.

'13 350EXC-F
Old 02-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #44
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,660
You might want to read the link below...

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Manufacturers, in fact, cannot prohibit use of aftermarket engine stuff and then withhold warranty repairs..........I 'spose this point is up for debate, and even think I saw a thread on it somewhere here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
i took things from a different angle because of warranty... mine is 5 years. i couldn't get into dickin with the engine as far as replacing silencer or mods because the warranty doesn't allow it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:13 PM   #45
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As usual, I'm confused. I assume you are talking about the open airbox TOP cover. I though that was not recommended for BST's, but OK for FCR's. I thought Creeper was talking about punching holes in the SIDE cover of the airbox. I would love to put the open airbox TOP cover on. I know it would add some cool intake noises regardless of performance. So did you add 583.06.002.200 or 584.06.003.200 or 587.06.003.100? I'll order what you ordered. Thanks to all.
No, I am also talking about the side air cover, NOT the top. Creeper was talking about the side air box cover, and so am I. Leave the snorkel/top alone for the BST is also what I've been told by Creeper and others. The side open air box cover is part # 584.06.003.200 (I think). My point was (and still is) that I don't understand your hesitation or reluctance to either mod your air box side cover or get the KTM one. Either solution is cheap (modding being the cheapest), and as I mentioned before, if you go that route (modding your stocker), you can always buy the replacement plastic part for $10.00.

Then, when you get that FCR + full Akra, go ahead and put the stocker side cover back on, and remove the snorkel/top if you wish.

In other words, just because you MAY get an FCR down the line, there's no reason to deprive yourself of the performance gains by opening up the side air box cover via either of the two suggestions above. One way takes some fiddling and costs $10.00 to have a backup intact stock cover. The other way requires no fiddling, and costs about $31.00, and you get to keep your stock one intact from the get go.

Nom de Guerre screwed with this post 02-03-2005 at 05:34 PM