User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
aDave
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 184
Nicely done!

This sounds very interesting. Good on you for taking what machine you have and going exploring.

Please continue!

Dave

Pacifism is a luxury of the defended.
aDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #17
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Big thumbs up to you both.

Ride happily.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
MisterShandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Great report so far; I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures.
MisterShandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
Dachary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Awesome!

Dude, this is awesome. We left three days after you from Boston and did this trip on two BMW F650GSs - just got home a week ago. Until late last summer, I was seriously pondering doing this on my used '99 Ninja 250. I'm so glad to see someone doing it! Ultimately I didn't want to deal with the riding position on the Ninja - too leaned over for me to be comfortable doing the day-after-day riding for a trip like this - but I'm so glad to see people proving that you absolutely *can* do a trip like this on a bike as simple as the Ninja. Looking forward to reading the rest of your report!
BOS -> CO - 2 dogs in a Ural - 2012
Find us on SPOT
Dachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
Rogdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Keep it coming

I'm enjoying your ride and the fact you are doing it right, with what you got and when you have the time. Two wheels, a motor that runs and room on the seat for two!

Keep the stories coming.
Rogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
Rangerrat
Adventurer Rat

Oddometer: 27
Wow!!

Great story, awesome photos, and 2-up on a Slinja, I mean Ninja. Keep it coming guys, so that I can dream some more!!
Rangerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #22
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 816
Keep it rolling! Be safe and enjoy every minute.
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #23
Free Radical
High speed drifter

Oddometer: 1,402
Two thumbs up. WAY UP!!!

You guys are great.

"A cheeseburger, a tank of gas, and the hell out of here!" -- Graffiti, Men's Room, Fontanelli's Tavern, Norman, OK c 1974
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #24
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Thank you
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,424
Great Adventure.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #26
stromwrecker
wantabe

Oddometer: 30
I'm in. Love the story so far!

Subscribed
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
BostonGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
This is great stuff...that's 125cc's for the each of you, which makes it more like riding a loaded up scooter...and I thought the 650 two up with gear for days was an adventure.

Ninja on my friend...ninja on.
BostonGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #28
jordan325ic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdec View Post
Enjoying the rr so far ,great pics .I thought that road was called "THE DEVILS SPINE"!.
Rode it twice so far ,was a blast .
Looking forward to more pics
irishdec
It is indeed called the "Espino Del Diablo", I have now learned. I guess Michelle's uncle was a confused on his satanic anatomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachary View Post
Dude, this is awesome. We left three days after you from Boston and did this trip on two BMW F650GSs - just got home a week ago. Until late last summer, I was seriously pondering doing this on my used '99 Ninja 250. I'm so glad to see someone doing it! Ultimately I didn't want to deal with the riding position on the Ninja - too leaned over for me to be comfortable doing the day-after-day riding for a trip like this - but I'm so glad to see people proving that you absolutely *can* do a trip like this on a bike as simple as the Ninja. Looking forward to reading the rest of your report!
I'm a tall guy. 6'5¨. This ex250 is my first and only bike, so maybe I just have nothing to judge it against, but I have no comfort issues. We´ve done many 8+ hour days on it and no complaints really, other than a sore butt.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
jordan325ic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
We check out of our Mazatlan hotel and look for breakfast. Above all the street level vendors in the central market there are second story restaraunts. Very cheap, 15 pesos for breakfast, which was delicious and filling. Definitely a good find if you're on a budget. Too bad we didn't find it earlier. Also had "cafe con leche", which is coffee made without any water, just coffee and milk. Very tasty. We also sent postcards to the folks back home, which was a little time consuming, so we got a late start. We camped near Tepic, off a little farm road. Very noisy with the trucks engine braking down that area, we didn't sleep well. The farm workers started going down the road when we were packing up. They were confused and-or amused by the spectacle.

We stopped in Tepic to eat our breakfast of fruit, bread and butter we had bought the night before. There was a great little park not too far into town, very picturesque.

We were now on the "Ruta De Tequila" according to the highway signs. Tequila is made from the blue agave plant, looks like a blue cactus, and there were enormous fields covering the hills and along the highway.

Also a wierd field of black rocks. Didn't look like the other brush-fire fields we'd seen.

Very hilly, simple but beautiful.

We ate in Tequila, famous for it's many tequila factories. We were going to take the tour, but our waitress said it was 250pesos per person, which was out of our budget, so we skipped it. We did buy a very overpriced bottle for our friend we were meeting in the next week. It was 160 pesos, which is similar to the price in the US. I didn't realize that tequila is only a fraction of the price here in Mexico. A few weeks later I would be shocked to see 750ml bottles of apparently decent tequila going for around $3.20USD.

Just before Tequila, the camera took a soft little tumble into the sand. So no pictures of Tequila, but I did get it going again on the last day we were in Guadalajara, so I could take some pictures.

We get to Guadalajara just in time for rush hour. We had no idea where we were going, no idea where any hotels were, no idea how crazy Guadalajara traffic was. I liked it. Motorcycles cut through traffic, pop onto sidewalks, go the wrong way down one-ways. I was burdened with extra wide saddlebags, so I wasn't as nimble as other bikes, but we got around. After over an hour of riding around cluelessly we randomly found a couple of hotels on a strip that were actually decently priced. We chose "Hotel Astur", About $20usd per night, but it was clean and we could park the bike in our room. Little did we know, but we were actually in the Historical District, right in the middle of the city, walking distance to the Libertad market, several museums, tons of shopping, and countless cathedrals and plazas. Very lucky, we were so tired we would have taken anything. Our faces were a blackened from all the soot in the air.

(If you're going to Guadalajara: Calle Independcia Sur was the road with Hotel Astur, we found less expensive hotels around the block on Juarez)

We only had 97 pesos left, and the money changers were closed. We ate dinner in La Libertad market. Tortas, potato chips with salsa, a coke, and cerveza for the both of us = 96 pesos ($8usd). Gotta love it.

Next day we change money again, not so good this time, as expected. We get 11.70 pesos to the dollar (compared to 12.5 in El Paso, TX). We spend the day walking around and updating the blogs at a ciber. We both love Mexican food but decide to do something different, and get pizza slices on the street

While we're waiting in line there is an attempted kidnapping. A man grabs a 6yo boy who is eating pizza with his mom and brothers, the kid freaks out and gets free, runs to his mother, who is panicing now as well. She rushes all of her children into the pizza shop doorway. Everyone around was pointing at the man. I had no idea what was going on at that point, but Michelle says she saw the man kick the boy as he struggled free and that he walked right around us, as if he was still intent on nabbing the kid. He split, and the police were called. I doubt they caught the guy, he easily vanished into the crowd. Michelle's older brother was almost kidnapped in Guadalajara when he was a baby. Luckily there was a policeman around the corner and kidnapper ditched him to not get caught.

We spent the rest of the day getting lost walking around Guadalajara. We went to the market, which was very cool.

Chille rellenos, with canzome and the most delicious tortillas I've ever had, $2us.

Lots of plazas, cathedrals. Very beautiful part of the city.

Next day we went to the Museum of Contemporary Art. It was the day before christmas, so we didn't expect anything to be open. We were surprised to find it would be open for another 2 hours. (Bring your school ID, half off for students, 70pesos regularly). Incredible building, and the work housed inside was fantastic. The first chamber (old Cathedral) is covered by 57 murals by Jose Clemente Orozco. Probably my favorite of what we saw. The main dome has a huge painting entitled "El Hombe De Fuego", which is breathtaking.

(not my photo)
We saw as much as we could before they closed.

Museum from the outside, later that day.

Guadalajara definitely has a "big city" feel. Different than any of the other places we've been to in Mexico. Feels more modern, or perhaps more Americanized. Wonderful to visit though, perhaps my favorite part of Mexico yet.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 252
Great report, thanks for posting.

I will be following you guy's journey
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote