Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #61
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Mine's still doing nicely too. It has collected some bumps and bruises along the way but is easy to read in all light.
Why are the second hand numbers bigger than the hour numbers?

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #62
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post

bill
Military style, countdown, stuff like that.

It's a designer choice, we don't really have the answer about "why".
Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #63
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
I just received my new Lum-Tec 500 M.
It gets its' name from it's water resistance rating of 500 meters or
1600 + feet.

@ 18 mm thick, it's pretty much like wearing a vault on my wrist.
It's automatic and manual wind and has a hugely clean face.

I think it's supposed to double as a door stop or weapon.

http://www.lum-tec.com/collection/cu...pre-order.html

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642

Terrytori screwed with this post 05-26-2011 at 05:55 AM
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #64
bootzilla
Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer: 555
I use a Suunto Vector on the bike, but that's digital. The other suggestions made are good - an analog G-Shock would probably be ideal, and the Seiko 5 is solid if you want an auto.

Traser and Luminox are also good choices - most have tough polycarbonite cases and the tritium is really cool at night.

Others that come to mind - a Seiko Monster, either Orange or Black (I have the orange - totally rocks, and the lume is awesome). For something with a battery, I've read a lot of good comments about Bertucci watches - design is simple, size isn't out of control (good for wearing under gear) and they are supposed to be tough. The Momentum Atlas is pretty cheap, nice dial and tough...and the Citizen BM6400 offers the same design in an eco-drive.

Of course, if you don't mind a boat-anchor on your wrist, you could try to track down a Citizen Promaster Super Tough. Hard to find those, though.

5 Different Nachos
bootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #65
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Citizen World Perpetual. Has atomic time keeping, and is solar powered. I got the titanium one (gift from my wife). Much lighter and won't scratch like the stainless, but you pay the price for it. Thin enough to fit under a riding suit.

http://citizenwatch.com/COA/English/...ber=CB0030-56E

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #66
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
1600 + feet.

Hopefully you'll never test it's max depth in a free dive.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #67
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Hopefully you'll never test it's max depth in a free dive.

My big fear is that the sheer weight of the thing will pull me down to those depths in spite of my best efforts to stay afloat..

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #68
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootzilla View Post
I use a Suunto Vector on the bike, but that's digital. The other suggestions made are good - an analog G-Shock would probably be ideal, and the Seiko 5 is solid if you want an auto.

Traser and Luminox are also good choices - most have tough polycarbonite cases and the tritium is really cool at night.

Others that come to mind - a Seiko Monster, either Orange or Black (I have the orange - totally rocks, and the lume is awesome). For something with a battery, I've read a lot of good comments about Bertucci watches - design is simple, size isn't out of control (good for wearing under gear) and they are supposed to be tough. The Momentum Atlas is pretty cheap, nice dial and tough...and the Citizen BM6400 offers the same design in an eco-drive.

Of course, if you don't mind a boat-anchor on your wrist, you could try to track down a Citizen Promaster Super Tough. Hard to find those, though.

Boot,
I like the way you think especially about the Tritium lume. Once you have it you want it.

My Suunto Vector died completely today. It has been through 3 batteries and ridden around the world on the rally bar of my KTM 640 plus it spent the winter getting hammered in Guatemala and Mex on the topes and rough roads.

What I realized(finally) is that the battery is dead. I put a new one in a couple of months ago but it apparently died quickly, not sure why but the good news is the watch may be OK. I ordered a new battery and will know it's fate tomorrow.

As for the MWC Tritium watch, I am working with the company on a replacement. I have a warranty extension so they may cover it.
The problem is the second hand popped off. I am thinking I need a good jeweler to crack it and fix it if it's out of warranty.

Anyone know a good watch repair shop?
I need a pro.

If that fails I am gonna buy the resin cased Traser Tritium.
It is offered for less than a hundred bucks and have a Swiss quartz movement, Tritium lights.
bill

Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 12:04 AM
Old 05-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #69
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
1600 + feet.

Holy crap man! Do you strap a 5 lb. weight to your other wrist just to feel balanced? My dad has an Omega Speedmaster and says that thing is workout to wear too. I'll stick with high speed, low drag. Nice watch.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #70
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,500
I can't recommend Superdry

they get really scratched

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #71
fatpony
Dixiecrat

Oddometer: 218
Seiko 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post

bill
I also go with the military theory but, the shorter hour hand points out the closer hour numbers, and the longer minute hand points out the minutes much better than a standard face.
This weekend the blue faced, blue fabric band Seiko 5 is $54 shipped from ewatch.com. Mike
Old 05-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #72
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,355
Well, it depends on what you want to spend.

I've ridden a lot with my Breitlings and the only thing that went wrong on mine has been a screw fell out of the band.

Speedmaster heavy? Have an auto speedy and It's the second-lightest I own, the TI Breitling is lighter, but the speedy is a lot lighter than the Breitling Colt in stainless. However, as a daily rider, I'd be afraid of major rainstorms - the speedy Pro is not very waterproof.

Maybe off road is too rough for an autowinder, but mine's been fine for a long time on the bike for road riding.

I just bought a Seiko beater auto dive watch for days when I don't want to wear a nice watch - you can get the 009 with a metal bracelet for $150 on Amazon, it's a 21 jewel movement with day/date and it's not too bad on accuracy for the price. But THAT is one bulky watch.

My current thinking in my next durable watch is a Ball - they have some nice looking stuff, it's all Tritium lights, ETA movements and their prices are quite reasonable for a really waterproof swiss watch, but that being said, they are more than a grand, some are several grand. However, they do have pretty high shock ratings for their watches, which might be worth considering. That's no cheapo riding watch though.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #73
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Hey Guys,
Very happy , a new battery 'fixed' my Suunto Vector. It was never broken, just a new battery that failed in about two months.
Fooled me into thinking it was broken.

It has survived life on my rally motorcycles through S. America and back and RTW through Russia and Mongolia. I am singing praises.
It is a tough MF.

Now to fix my wrist watch or buy a new one.

Tracer, Timex, Casio, Luminox are affordable.

I like a simple face. My MWC is supposed to have a Ronda 705 Quartz movement. If the hands could be made to stay put maybe it will last?
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #74
cactusjack
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoose View Post
I have owned an Omega Speedmaster for years and it works great, but not for off road. The true Speedmaster is a self wind mechanical watch. The winding wieght would shear the main shaft. Other than that it is a great watch I bought mine in the early 70's, wish I would have kept the box it came in, makes it worth alot more.

Good Luck

EDIT: My mistake the Moon Watch is NOT a self wind, of course. NO gravity, no wind.

Sometimers disorder is taking more of my time. Sorry for the misinformation.
Ahh, but a self-winder would have worked just fine in the microgravity environment of earth orbit after all! The primary force responsible for the winding of automatic watches is inertial acceleration from the movement of the wearer's wrist, which is not affected by the presence or absence of gravity. Gravitational acceleration plays an additional part when gravity is present, but it is such a small component that automatic watches work perfectly fine in microgravity/freefall.

It is a commonly repeated misconception that the Speedmaster was chosen because it was mechanically wound. NASA chose the Speedy in 1961, after purchasing various watches from a retailer and, without telling any of the manufacturers, submitting them to some brutal tests. The watch question was not revisited again until 1972, when the Bulova watch company lobbied NASA to use an American-made timepiece -- but upon retesting, NASA chose to stick with Omega.

So why did they choose a mechanically wound watch? Simple, there were no commercially available automatic chronographs (i.e. self-winding stopwatches) available in 1961. The first automatic/self-winding chronograph was presented in January 1969. Strictly speaking, NASA could have switched to automatic chronographs in time for the July 1969 launch of Apollo 11, but the Speedmaster had performed reliably for them for more than four years, and the automatic chronograph was a brand new, and untested, technology.

Jack Swigert actually wore a Rolex GMT Master alongside his Speedmaster on the Apollo 13 mission. As a long-time test pilot, perhaps he was just used to flying with his old faithful. The Rolex was a self-winding/automatic mechanism.

Sorry for the lengthy post...but I love history, and have a fondness for fine mechanical timepieces as well. Speedmasters rock, though at the moment I have only a humble Seamaster (I find that non-chronograph mechanisms stand up better to abuse...my Seamaster once joined me on a 100+mph tumble when I forgot to take it off before a race, among other abuses, and it's still within a few seconds per month). It doesn't seem to mind trips of any length on a KLR650, which isn't the smoothest ride out there, but I wouldn't take it on a RTW trip for a number of reasons.
cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #75
takman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I wore a new Speedmaster Schumacher edition for ~3 years straight, it never left my wrist.
Unlike most of the previous posts, I hated it.
Even this COSC which was always self-winding, lost considerable time.
I needed to adjust the time every week or 2 to keep up.
After the initial maintenance service ($300 back in 1999) by an official Omega service center, it fogged up after and kept worse time than before.
So I had it serviced again at another official service center ($360 this time) and it was just the same.
The metal band's pin that attached to the watch broke loose a couple times too.
If the watch wasn't so heavy, I would have lost the watch and not noticed.
A few grand for a watch and $660 in service and yet a $20 Timex is more reliable.

Sure, it got lots of great comments because it looked awesome, but functionally it left much to be desired so I sold it after 4 years of dissapointment and went back to quartz driven watches.
Now I always have a phone on me so I rarely wear a watch, but on long rides I wear a Casio Pathfinder in case I need the compass as a backup to the GPS.

I suggest you stay away from any Automatic movements, they simply don't keep good time.
takman is offline   Reply With Quote