Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Thefunisover OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
1971 R60/5 project - sitting 15yrs!

Hi all,
I recently acquired a '71 R60/5 that had been sitting covered outside for 15 years. It is stock and complete save for the headlight/speedo--the person I bought it from bought the whole bike just for that unit, rode it home and it was sitting since. The engine turns freely and he had the title so I went for it.

The plan is the make it suitably reliable for a daily commuter and relatively short distance camping trips. Since it is missing what I consider to be one of the most important original parts, I'm less interested in a straight up restoration than making the bike serve my purposes: around town commuting and occasional two-up trips that might involve dirt roads.

So far I've done some cleaning, including an epic battle with a spider living in the spark plug cavity, and stripping the rotted seat down the the pan.

My next step is rewiring to see if I can get it to fire. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I'll be completely redoing all of it with a new headlight, is there a simple diagram out there?

Thanks for checking this out, I've already learned a ton about Airheads just reading through this forum.

Thefunisover screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 01:26 PM
Thefunisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,853
Check my signature for my /5 that sat for 15 years. I went ahead and replaced all gaskets as they were all petrified from not running for 15 years. I highly recommend the same for you.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 637
Cool2

Font size too small> DID NOT READ.
Nice pics, tho.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
kentuvman
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Nice Project - just completed freshening up a '73 R60/5 with @ 80k on the clock.

Resources for your bike - you should be able to find a used speedo & headlight bucket on Ebay or IBMWR - a forum member, Terry aka Wirespokes overhauled my speedo and does a terrific job.

I guess w/out the speedo you don't know how many miles are on the bike, thus you really need to pull her apart and create a maintenance baseline. My go-to parts resources were Northwoods Airheads, Hucky's Spare Parts, and Motobins (England).

Does the engine turn over? Transmission, FD & Driveshaft gear oil need to be drained. I'd pull off the valves covers and see how things look - chances are the engine is okay by the picture.

Here's what I did to mine:
R&R front & rear wheel bearings and swing drive - cleaned & packed with fresh grease (swing arm requires new fittings on the re-install).

R&R main seal & "O" ring & replaced the clutch.

R&R the Type 53 carbs - bought new O rings & float bowl gaskets - everything else was okay (not much too these carbs) - ran both carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner - the jets were clogged - make sure to use compressed air when finished cleaning & disassemble jet stack.

New handlebar controls - wires were shot - there are schematics in the Hanes & Clymer books - check to see if yours if fused or unfused. Would be nice if you could find a headlight bucket with the nail ignition assembly and a headlight ring but you can buy all these parts from Hucky's - his service is quite good and his prices are about as reasonable as one can expect - the good news is the parts are available.

You'll want to replace the tires & carefully removed the exhaust nuts & clean up the header pipes & mufflers - my crosspipe broke - rather than buy a BMW part, I followed advice from this form (thanks guys) and used trap pipe from the hardware store to make a new crosspipe.

Oh yea - the drum brakes are adequate but don't stop like disc brakes!!!

Also, the sidestands on these bikes is horrible - I bought a Farley sidestand - it's amazingly well built. The owner told me he'd send it out and if I was happy, to send him a check for $135 - how many businesses do that?

Anyway, I'm sure more to be revealed as you get into your project. You'll get a lot help here. Eager to follow your progress. R60/5 - a nice machine.

p.s. what is your last picture of?
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 186
A few questions -

Do you have a good set of tools? Are you handy (mechanically inclined?). Ever done a bike restoration before? Do you have a budget in mind?

Best regards.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 694
The previous owner bought the bike just for the headlight and speedo, that should give you an idea of how hard they are to come by and how much they cost when you do.

Personally, I would change all the oils, clean the carbs, clean the inside of the fuel tank then get it running. You will have to deal with the wiring, fit some sort of headlight, add an ignition and, of course, a battery. Don't waste your time replacing all the seals and gaskets, fifteen years storage for a BMW or any bike isn't all that long. Once the bike is up and running, it will tell you what it needs.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
The previous owner bought the bike just for the headlight and speedo, that should give you an idea of how hard they are to come by and how much they cost when you do.
The bucket is no sweat...the gauge is the tricky/expensive part. I have a spare one in pieces just in case I need something for my other one.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
WooPig
Oh Glory!

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by spo123 View Post
Nice pics, tho.
Yeah, me too. Could be age related I guess.
Looks like a great bike and a great project. A fine place to start!

WooPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I have a /6 headlight bucket that I bought because I needed the trim ring and glass. You are welcome to the bucket if you would like it. Then you can pick up an Acewell Speedo/tach unit and fit that if you would like. Just drop me a PM if you want the bucket.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by r60man View Post
I have a /6 headlight bucket that I bought because I needed the trim ring and glass. You are welcome to the bucket if you would like it. Then you can pick up an Acewell Speedo/tach unit and fit that if you would like. Just drop me a PM if you want the bucket.
/6 bucket is different from /5 and uses external gauges and different fork ears...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,970
You are usually better off if you buy as much of the needed parts as possible from the get go. Since you need so much it would not be good at this point to get a lens, then a bucket, then a trim ring and a few other things to only find out there is later a complete unit available near by and you don't need the complete unit anymore.

There are parts coming off bikes that the owners are making Cafes or something else from. Take your time. These parts can take time.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,654
Also, new reproduction gauges are available for about $350, much cheaper than the BMW originals and about the same price as getting one rebuilt...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
Thefunisover OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post

Personally, I would change all the oils, clean the carbs, clean the inside of the fuel tank then get it running. You will have to deal with the wiring, fit some sort of headlight, add an ignition and, of course, a battery. Don't waste your time replacing all the seals and gaskets, fifteen years storage for a BMW or any bike isn't all that long. Once the bike is up and running, it will tell you what it needs.
I have the mileage on the title from when it was sold, roughly 30,000 if memory serves, then was sitting since. What you said is basically my plan, with an aftermarket headlight and speedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Woodman View Post
A few questions -

Do you have a good set of tools? Are you handy (mechanically inclined?). Ever done a bike restoration before? Do you have a budget in mind?

Best regards.
I have a decent amount of the necessary tools but will potentially need some of the BMW specific stuff. This is not the first bike I've owned and worked on, but will by far the most in-depth restoration I've attempted. I had a CZ 250 twin that required a complete rewire so hopefully this won't be much more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
Nice Project - just completed freshening up a '73 R60/5 with @ 80k on the clock.
Thanks--any advice is welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spo123 View Post
Nice pics, tho.
Fixed

This might be slow going due to money, but I'm planning on doing a little cosmetic work on my running bike (1996 Sportster) and selling it to free up some cash. I'll be figuring out a headlight this week and diving in to the wiring ASAP.

FYI the third pic is of the seat pan after removing the rotted foam. It was in much worse condition than any other visible parts but all the rust is surface level. I'll take a couple more general pics in the next day or two to keep it interesting.
Thefunisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Beater
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunisover View Post
I have the mileage on the title from when it was sold, roughly 30,000 if memory serves, then was sitting since. What you said is basically my plan, with an aftermarket headlight and speedo.
First, it's your bike. Do what you'd like. In my opinion the headlight and gauges are the sexiest part of a /5. you can get a /5 bucket for not much ... and there are some aftermarket speedo's that will 'fit' into the headlight bucket hole.

Just think about it. Those /5's are lovely little bikes, and to me at least, the headlight and guages are what does it.

Just my 2 cents.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 637
Cool2 very nice...

The /5 headlight and instrument assembly is one of the most significant aspects of a slash 5.
It CAN be changed, to non stock.
Thanks for the larger font.....Dammit, my eyes...I can't see so good....they ain't as good as they used to be.
The "clean" photo does look so much better.
Good luck with your project.
spo

spo123 screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 04:10 PM
spo123 is offline   Reply With Quote