Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I am all for the engineering it takes to put those massive forks on it ... custom triples and all. But ... DRZ400 forks are a bolt on swap ... Just saying (and they're 49mm)

(I'm also quite sure that the WP forks are are a large upgrade in quality ... But I don't know ... )
Beater,

Gotta say I love your airhead... but I would say that you and I started with different questions. Yours may have been something like "What can I put on the front of my RT that will make it a better airhead dirt bike, is easy to find and is a relative straight forward project?"

Where mine was something like, "OK, I already have an Airhead dirtbike (although it is a great big heavy pig) if I was going to replace the front end with another conventional fork, what would be the optimal match given my desire for easily tuneable comp and rebound damping, being already fit to a larger (read heavy) bike to avoid significant internal valving changes and springing and carrying a sufficient front brake to stop this big and heavy bike with easily obtainable and stock off-the shelf parts?"

I am sure your DRZ front end will be superior to the stock RT one, and better than the stock G/S front end... you will be able to change the springs, add an emulator and buy a super-moto brake if you want or ride it as is too. The WP front end has the lead in the other areas... also going into my consideration were the opinions from the WP users discussing this front end versus many others.

just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #17
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer: 195
Have you ever considered just gutting the internals of the stock R100 forks (beefy, good axle size) and then fitting a cartridge insert? I know that the BMW (HPN) one isn't available anymore, but MY suspension guy thinks that this is still the best route. He seems to think that he can also rig up a way to add pre-load adjustment. He call the inserts "suspension pumps' and supposedly all modern forks have these. 25mm is the size he recommends.
Seems like an easier change and then you get 2011 technology.
espressodrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #18
ontic

Oddometer: 1,048
is this the same sort of set up?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...648518681.html
I've been watching them on ebay. Glad I wasn't hoping to buy them because I never would have won
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #19
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressodrinker View Post
Have you ever considered just gutting the internals of the stock R100 forks (beefy, good axle size) and then fitting a cartridge insert?
Well, no one makes internals for the stock R100GS forks now... and HPN's (as well as the Ohlins version not for BMW's) were really expensive. Going your route will require some custom machining to make the caps work as well as custom valving and springing.

A R100GS front end by itself can be >>$500 (complete) add to that the cost of these cartridge internals that allow adjustment at the top, not the Race Tech emulators) and it's more that I will spend.

I had an R100GS with stock forks and Race Techs for three years and they were OK, but nothing like what these WP's can be. Remember, I will also need longer travel on the front end when I put on the extended swingarm.

Quote:

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 09-26-2011 at 04:27 PM
Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #20
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
is this the same sort of set up?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...648518681.html
I've been watching them on ebay. Glad I wasn't hoping to buy them because I never would have won
That's exactly what I have now, perhaps I should sell mine in Germany?????

Well actually those aren't from a 640 and are from something smaller.. the brake is only 260mm

Quote:

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 04-11-2011 at 01:21 PM
Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #21
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Beater,

Gotta say I love your airhead... but I would say that you and I started with different questions. Yours may have been something like "What can I put on the front of my RT that will make it a better airhead dirt bike, is easy to find and is a relative straight forward project?"

Where mine was something like, "OK, I already have an Airhead dirtbike (although it is a great big heavy pig) if I was going to replace the front end with another conventional fork, what would be the optimal match given my desire for easily tuneable comp and rebound damping, being already fit to a larger (read heavy) bike to avoid significant internal valving changes and springing and carrying a sufficient front brake to stop this big and heavy bike with easily obtainable and stock off-the shelf parts?"

I am sure your DRZ front end will be superior to the stock RT one, and better than the stock G/S front end... you will be able to change the springs, add an emulator and buy a super-moto brake if you want or ride it as is too. The WP front end has the lead in the other areas... also going into my consideration were the opinions from the WP users discussing this front end versus many others.

just my opinion...
Yep. That was exactly my thought process. It's good to see yours ... and how WAY different they were/are from mine ... Mine was more ... "Let's see how inexpensively I can make an Airhead trail rider."

Your thread just seems to be, "How can I make the BEST Airhead dirt bike."

This is a great thread Solo! Always love to see your creations!

Beater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

This should really be in a later update for brake options, but I just ran across this photo in the DR Big thread, posted by bluesman and find it very interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Beringer 4 pot supermoto caliper. Virtually same with motomod and Lucas by look of it. This is my current caliper. Excellent combo of power and progressive feel, very compact, can be fitted to DR forks and direct bolt-on (as my subtype was for KTM) to my WP Extreme forks. Unfortunately with direct bolt-on it is made for 310 mm disk and I have 300. So I have to shave off a bit of edge from brake pads to use that on 300 disk. Still, it takes 10 mins to adapt pads with Dremel and 3 mins to change them. Does not require change of master cylinder as per Beringer recommendations.

Quote:
Old 04-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
i had a few ktms with the 50's, excellent off/enduro fork. if i do a conversion on the g/s. i would use them. just can't bring myself to changing a g/s. i have r100 that has the frame already done, needing front forks and a swing arm job and a few shocks.
98 vtr1000 superhawk (fun)sold
2xdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,338
Lookin good so far. Speaking of more powerful discs I just missed a complete KTM 950 adventure front end by minutes. It's super light and has double discs. Damn.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #25
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Lookin good so far. Speaking of more powerful discs I just missed a complete KTM 950 adventure front end by minutes. It's super light and has double discs. Damn.

Speaking of discs, my new Braking USA 300mm full floater lands today (pix later) and I just got the news that my 640 caliper also shipped this morning.

There will be a mock-up in the near future!

Left to acquire:
Handle bar risers (7/8th inch to run the stock BMW bars for now)
Front wheel bearings
Brake pads (Galfer green's)

Parts to sell:
Stock 2000 640 Adventure lower triple clamp
1998 125 SX front rotor

In other news, I threw a tape on my G/S as well as the KTM triples with the BMW stem and all looks good there. I will provide some measurements on the custom stem once I verify it works as intended (but doubt that CrazyIvan got it wrong). The real question is mounting of the stock instrument pod as well as steering stops.. more about these as solutions come about

The Forks have a stock internal 3.5" spacer on the comp side that needs to come out, and Roadsacallin has provided me a bit of information on the WP Extreme's he ran on his G/S. Prior to switching everything to an HPN frame with an extended swingarm in South Africa his WP's had had their travel shortened and they worked well with the stock rear end on his G/S. He pulled a spacer on the rebound side, and added one to the comp side and they were back to the stock travel. I will document the shortening of my forks in the near future

His WP's actually came from me, and I got them from another ADVR member local to me that had been running them on a 1999 KTM 640 that had been lowered for it's PO.

Quote:

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 09:53 AM
Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
Thanks for this Solo. Your making what otherwise seemed like a too much for me job into a hmmmm maybe its time to keep an eye open for a ktm front end daydream.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #27
ontic

Oddometer: 1,048
Hey Solo,
a basic question, one that is probably covered and well discussed in many of the numerous threads about this sort of conversion (most of which I've read but obviously not absorbed too well).
With the understanding that you are going for more of a dirtbike-oriented set of modifications- how are these forks and the extended swing arm (etc) expected to ride ON-road? ie, any potential negative/scary effects when hitting the bitumen twisties and high speed sweepers? Or is this the having of cake and eating of it too? Of course I would expect some sort of trade-off- just wondering how it should pan out.

I ask this because you've got me all turned around (again). I am about to rebuild my G/S (money burning hole in pocket as I speak) and was about to go for the GS front end with cartridge emulators. Ohlins rear shock (which I will still get regardless), and possible small swing arm extension.
This was an appealing path for the simple 'plug and play' ease and me not having to work too hard to figure things out.
The only thing that has me concerned about attempting the fork swap that you are doing is the whole triple tree thing.
If going the GS front end, I have sort of justified it to myself that I can always do something more radical later. And I was also entertaining those thoughts of 'keeping it BMW'. These thoughts are fading, as are the thoughts of holding onto all my original G/S stuff that is removed for the long distant possibility that I might want to sell the bike and be able to offer it with the items to turn it back to stock.
Screw it- I am thinking now. This bike is a keeper, and I will sell off the front end and anything else not required, and I want to go with the best option I can feasibly do.

Considering how much this rebuild is going to cost, in time and money, I am right now very very seriously considering going down this same path instead. A quick google of various ebays seems to show that I can get most of these parts (sans triples) for cheaper than the GS options.
Gaining a bit of over-all bike height is actually something I want in a fork swap and swing arm extension. At 6"1' my airheads, though piggish and heavy, feel a bit low. I want to be able to really get into the dirt on the G/S, but it needs also be great for many long runs on the bitumen. I don't want a dirtbike G/S, I just want a better G/S.

So, help me out of this existential crisis
p.s. Pm on the way
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #28
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
Hey Solo,
a basic question, one that is probably covered and well discussed in many of the numerous threads about this sort of conversion (most of which I've read but obviously not absorbed too well).
With the understanding that you are going for more of a dirtbike-oriented set of modifications- how are these forks and the extended swing arm (etc) expected to ride ON-road?
After riding some real dirtbikes with serious suspension I am angling towards gaining in the dirt and will take some loss of road manners (but hope not to compromise too far). That said, I have seen some dirt bike riders who ride their bikes FAST through twisty roads... so I am hopefull.

The guy to ask this of is Roadsacallin... here are his two threads, one in building his G/S with the WP's and a second talking about how the whole package worked on his RTW trip:

Building his G/S LINK

What worked and what he'd change LINK

Quote:
Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #29
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,229
I know, I know. I keep meaning to call about the braces. I'll get to it.

Hey, think you could do the ADV world and favor and weigh that front end? AW listed those r100GS weights and it'd be nice to see how it stacks up to the biggest fork on the planet. I bet it still weighs more.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #30
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I know, I know. I keep meaning to call about the braces. I'll get to it.

Hey, think you could do the ADV world and favor and weigh that front end? AW listed those r100GS weights and it'd be nice to see how it stacks up to the biggest fork on the planet. I bet it still weighs more.
Sure, I can to that... can you link me to the reference standard as to what from front front end I weigh and what I don't?

Quote: