Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #46
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I love it! That's some New Yankee Workshop stuff right there.
Thanks Brad

I just went back and had to turn both spacers down to about 20.1-20.3mm to make them a nice fit in the damper tube... setting up the socket as the "live center" (is that correct nomenclature?) the second time was a PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 04-24-2011 at 03:15 PM
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #47
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,020
Solo, Love your lathe. Pretty is as pretty does, dude.

Haven't read the whole thread, but briefly can you tell me why folks are so anxious to swap the original triple clamps on all these conversions?

Is the trail dimension increased beyond what is usable with original trees at airhead steering rake specs?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #48
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Solo, Love your lathe. Pretty is as pretty does, dude.

Quote:
Haven't read the whole thread, but briefly can you tell me why folks are so anxious to swap the original triple clamps on all these conversions?

Is the trail dimension increased beyond what is usable with original trees at airhead steering rake specs?
My first test is going to use the stock triples (KTM that is) and see how it works... Marcus Best liked the R-Dubb triples with shortened Extremes until he changed to an HPN frame and extended swing arm in S. Africa (via Dustdevil). He mentioned in another thread that he thought the longer swinger changed the handling to the negative, and using the shorter off-set KTM clamps may return the handling. I am afraid I haven't studied up enough on the subject yet to comment.... but will at some point.

Quote:
Old 04-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #49
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Let's finish that Leg!

With the inner damper rod removed, you invert the rod and unscrew the "tap rod" from the "piston rod". As usual, I didn't have the fancy WP vice jaws that lightly by firmly hold the piston rod without marring it, so I improvised...

The spring was a tight fit, and I had to wiggle it off while gripping it with pliers

Here is the new travel-limiting spacer installed, spring and "tap rod" re-installed (if i can find an appropriated size washer, I will put one between the spacer and spring)

Below is the end result, shortened on the left, stock on the right (obviously)... The shortened one has no oil yet (forgot to buy some )

I removed a 3.5" spacer on the comp side and installed a 3.75" spacer on the rebound side. A few years ago I had a set of shortened WP Extreme's that I sold to roadsacallin' who rode around the world with 'em... I can't remember what their total length was, but they were almost identical to an R100GS's overall fork length... 3.75 was just a guess on my part for these no math was involved This added a bit of more preload then I started with as re-installing the top nut took a bit more force to get done (pushing down on the cap nut while pulling up on the tube) hence the >3.75" end result

Total length of the shortened side, from approximately the middle of the axle

Same measurement on the stock forks of my G/S

Yesterday my new Acerbis Baja fender arrived for this front end (thanks Simonpig!)

Thanks enough for today, it's beer o'clock for me

Quote:

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 04-24-2011 at 05:44 PM
Old 04-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #50
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,553
Old 04-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #51
simonpig
Packin' Heat

Oddometer: 861
Just caught this thread. I see why you want the fender now. Going all HPN on us. Subscribed.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #52
Lornce
Lost In Place

Solo, genuinely curious:

You have the overlength swingarm, which cause me to suppose you're going to raise the rear of the bike.

Why are you shortening the front end if you plan to use it in conjunction with a raised rear?

Please don't say I have to go back and read the whole thing...

Old 04-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #53
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Solo, genuinely curious:

You have the overlength swingarm, which cause me to suppose you're going to raise the rear of the bike.

Why are you shortening the front end if you plan to use it in conjunction with a raised rear?

Please don't say I have to go back and read the whole thing...

My plan is to fit the front end ASAP, in the shortened length and ride for the summer. The extended swinger is going to take some time and some cash to complete... so it is a fall/winter project. The frame may also need to be strengthened for the front and rear mods.

Pulling the forks apart again to re-extend them is perhaps a hour or two's labor at worst, and I have to admit I do like wrenching as much as riding so no down side for me there.

I am still deciding if I want to go all HPN on the frame (big $$$, long wait), or Paul Rooney (don't know much yet about that option) or something else. I am considering if I really want to mod my stock '81 frame, or do something else... I am a bit of a purist and don't want to trash my bike (nothing against you Brad )... lots to consider here.

Quote:
Old 04-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #54
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
My plan is to fit the front end ASAP, in the shortened length and ride for the summer. The extended swinger is going to take some time and some cash to complete... so it is a fall/winter project. The frame may also need to be strengthened for the front and rear mods.

Pulling the forks apart again to re-extend them is perhaps a hour or two's labor at worst, and I have to admit I do like wrenching as much as riding so no down side for me there.

I am still deciding if I want to go all HPN on the frame (big $$$, long wait), or Paul Rooney (don't know much yet about that option) or something else. I am considering if I really want to mod my stock '81 frame, or do something else... I am a bit of a purist and don't want to trash my bike (nothing against you Brad )... lots to consider here.
Oh, I see.

Sorry to interrupt.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #55
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 3,998
I've got an excuse for not calling Paul Rooney this time! I trashed my bike

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #56
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I trashed my bike
Whod'ja do?

Old 04-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #57
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

the pin holding in my main bearing fell out and blocked an oil passage. I got a new engine in and fired it up today. It's been a loooong week.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #58
Lornce
Lost In Place

That's got to be fairly uncommon.

Thankfully.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #59
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Snobum said it's RARE. And you know he wouldn't put it in all caps, big fonted and yellow for nothing

Dean said he's seen it happen several times and so did David Woodburn. I don't know if the way I ride the bike contributed or not. I guess if I ride this engine in the same way and knock another pin loose I'd be safe in assuming 'yes'

Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #60
ontic

Oddometer: 1,029
Great update!
I've been going into withdrawals here. I've run out of WP50 related stuff to read and my WP50 front end seller seems to have gone on holiday before he worked out postage to me

Interesting you'd be considering Paul Rooney. Has anyone ever mentioned the cost for him to reinforce a frame? I like to know. I thought I read somewhere that he used to be able to sell a reinforcement/gusset kit? Something else I'd be interested in.
My parts guy often sells frames to Paul, GS mainly I think. I might have to put a few feelers out.

about frame reinforcements, I'm in a similar thought process. I doubt I will do it. I too don't want to screw with my bike too much. I probably won't need it reinforced, but the temptation is there to do it right the first time. I am completely undecided yet. My bike aint matching numbers, so I don't think there is much point being too puritanical.

I love your Poormans Lathe. I used to do the exact same thing. I've even turned up metal with set-ups like that (it gets interesting when you use your set up turning metal and then an angle grinder instead of a chisel). Now I've got a funny old lathe that someone took the time to hand make, that I mainly use to do all my polishing. It's set up outside the shed with a tarp over it... forgot the tarp the other week, it rained, the power was on, and something has shorted. Bugger. Might have a look at that today.

Looking forward to the next update,
Cheers,
ontic is online now   Reply With Quote