User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Colombianito OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Yamaha XTZ 250 vs. Honda Tornado 250

I would like serious opinions on what the overall concenus is regarding these 2 Dual Purpose machines is. Having been a dual sport rider most of my life....... i had given it up a dozen years ago. Now retired and living in Colombia, i am looking at one these bikes to purchase. I have spent the last 7 months putting around on an AKT 150 TT for practice and economy. But obviously the machine lacks sorely for anything beyond a quick spin around town or a short jaunt into the surrounding countryside.

I am interested in which bike can also be best outfitted with baggage for the times i want to get out of town for a bit......... figure a few days to a week.

I would love to ride an epic journey like some of you gents do someday and realize a 250 is limited in that regard. But could a Colombia to Tierra del Fuego trip be REASONABLY POSSIBLE with either of these bikes? Thanks for the help. Anybody passing thru Popayan, Cauca , Colombia welcome to stop in anytime. I have extra room in my clean, small and safe home here. C
Colombianito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,725
I have had the Lander for a few years and have been happy with it. I found it a bit too heavy last summer in Guanajuato climbing mountains and steep rocky terrain. I chose it over the Tornado due to the fuel injection and dual disc brakes both of which the Tornado did not have.

Since you are in Colombia I would look into the new Tenere 250cc which is an overall "better bike" than the Lander or Tornado.

http://tecnoautos.com/motos/yamaha-tenere-250/

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato

Animo screwed with this post 04-10-2011 at 11:21 AM Reason: added link
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Tornado all the way!!

HI, well I will put my opinion and yes it could be very pro Honda.

I had a Tornado for about 6 months and was able to put only like 5000 km and I did just about everything with it except grocery shoping. And here is why I bought this instead of the Yamaha.

Both bikes are very close in many aspects if you look at the charts.
Honda 6 speed vs 5 from Yamaha
HP +1 or 2 for HOnda
It has a bigger ground clearance 281 mm vs 245 mm
Price (here in Mexico is around $4000 pesos)
weight 134 HOnda vs 141 kg.
a bigger tank by 0.5 liter (almost nothing I know)
The motor is DOHC instead of SOHC (this is not important to me, but it is there)

The seat is tall very close to what you will find on a KLR650 (35 in.) or 880 mm

Those are the stats how ever what I have heard people say about these bikes is that the XTZ has more torque but the TOrnado has more HP so top speed is better on the tornado.

I like this bike a lot for city duties, off road it's lite and agile, and first gear feels just right for the tecnical stuff, and 6th gives you a more relax hwy cruising at around 70 mph or 110 km/hr, with a top speed of 120 km/hr on a flat surface. Never did 2 up on it.

The front end does feel light but not too bad. Tires are from Metzeler, Saharas and rated at 50-50 and very good, but expensive in the USA not so in Latin America.

Around here there is not much as option of lagguage. My father in law has my bike and has put a Givi top box, but nobody builds side racks, so he could use soft luggage. In South America, Brazil they have a very big fallowing so you could be more lucky than us in hte north.

Would I pick this bike to go to Tierra del Fuego? YES, There is a video of a Tornado that just run the Dakar and it is almost stock, so it can handle it. THe only thing I would worry is about the small tank, with 12 liters or 3.2 US Gallons your range will not be that big, at 55 mpg you get sround 150-170 milles before you run completly dry (including the 1 gallon of reserve) so add a 2 gallon tank. And yes top speed could be a thing to considere, but anything under 65 mph is easy.

Sand, NO problem if you know how to ride, I do not know and did ok in the small areas I did venture.

I hope it helps

Damasovi

PS This is what I wrote about the Tornado back in the day when I just had it
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284631

damasovi screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 11:45 AM Reason: included link
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Colombianito OP
Adventurer

Glad to announce that i now have a 2012 Honda Tornado in my driveway!!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombianito View Post
Glad to announce that i now have a 2012 Honda Tornado in my driveway!!

no pic mean it did not happend!!! so get on it!!! congrats on the new bike!

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Cool, I was going to recommend the Tornado, another rider left one at my place once and it's a nice ride. What do you do in Colombia, are you Colombian?
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
Colombianito OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJourneyman View Post
Cool, I was going to recommend the Tornado, another rider left one at my place once and it's a nice ride. What do you do in Colombia, are you Colombian?

Agreed, it is a fine bike. I am an American living in Colombia and married to a local gal.

I enjoy riding around the countryside in my spare time.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianito View Post

i enjoy riding around the countryside in my spare time.

+1
Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Colombianito OP
Adventurer

I had to spend some time routing wires inside the routing guides and tighten up some bolts. Is this normal for most new bikes or just bikes assembled in Brazil???
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
afear
n00b

Oddometer: 2
What about a Ktm?

they are built like a bullet. Or an Akt? Bulletproof stuff, isn't it? The Honda Tornado is just a wind not even a storm.
afear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
lennyledoux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I just bought a 2011 Yamaha YTZ 250 Lander new here in Cuenca, Ecuador. I chose it over the Honda for the dual disc brakes and FI. I would have preferred the better 250 available from both Honda and Yamaha, however, they are not street legal. I will presume the doubling of horsepower comes with water cooled and not being street legal so no emissions to meet. Bummer, those bikes also have better suspension. I have not seen the 250 Tenere that I am reading about. A company named Eljuri has so distributor rights for both brands in Ecuador and this may influence how they market. For example, the XT660R is still in the model book for Yamaha, however, only the Tenere is imported/sold. It is a much more expensive bike, and bikes are much more expensive here than in the states. I paid about a $2,700 premium over US list price here. The motocrossers are over $11K, the small Tenere is $17K, the large one is $28K which puts it slightly higher than the KTM 990 Adventure. It is a bummer that there isn't something in between, like a nice 450.
lennyledoux is offline   Reply With Quote