Very nice bike Flanny !!!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #17
Flanny OP
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
Very cool Flanny -

*So how did you do that dash? Did you fab it? Luv the acc plugs.
*Whats the gizmo on the top of the flyscreen?
*Whats the gizmos below and above the R/L grips?
*Can we get those number plate stickers or is painted?
*I love the pipe tape. But why?

Thanks for the photos and ideas.
-pantah
Muchos Gracias..I'm pretty happy wityh how it turned out. Can't wait for the Wings Exhausts to arrive from Adventurers Workshop.

About the Dash...Well that is a bit of a long story. It turns out that the early KTM Roadbook holders were defective in that the matal tabs that hold the dash into place were bent the wrong way. It was just my luck to get one. I went to install it, and It would not fit...Arrgghhh...Not to be deterred, I whipped out some 1/8 6061 Al and jusst fabbed the thing. It turned out pretty well. While I was at it, I decided to moutt two ACC plugs, and one comm connector (which you can't see on the picture)

The gizmo on the widnscreen is an amplified remote antenna for the GPS. It really pulls in the signal even under foliage. Available from www.GPSCentral.ca for about $40 USD. Well worth the $$$ for really strong satellite reception.

The switches under the right grip control Hi/low/Off for heated grips, and a second swithc for Acc #1 which I use to plug in my electric vest. The box on the left bar is actually a junction for communications/MP3 player. The MP3 remotel plugs in there, as does my communicator. The J-box serves to connect to the helmet plug in the dash board. A switch on the left of the box allows me to cut all sound to the helmet so I can hear myself scream when I wipe out and stuff..or just to hear for a minute at toll booths without stopping the heavy metal entirely.

All of the graphics are pretty much custom cut by hand. I had a bunch of the sponsor logos done as well as my logo done as one-offs by Keith Lamb at LB Graphics. The number "4" with Meoni written in it were all one-offs.

The exhaust tape delivers about 2-3% HP gain by keeping exhaust gasses hot, thereby keeping their density low, and as a direct consequence maintaining a higher flow velocity. Plus it keeps the right boot cooler. So, for about $30, you get 2-3% HP gain...not bad.

The upper fairing protectors or "Stone Guards" were made for me ealry last year as custom one-offs by Mr. Eggers AKA Bigtwin. Bigtwin hasn't been around (I think he's building a house), but I think if there was interest Afekete could have them made by carbon performance through Adventurers Workshop.

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #18
Flanny OP
Flanny-it-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
Looks Orange to me. did you keep you old wheels and pipes/fender and a few other goodies ? ver cool

As fast as Orange, and as Mean as Black...all rolled into one.

The stock pipes and stuff I still have. I still have the rear rim and spokes, but the original front rim was destroyed. I still have the fender, front disk and all that in a big bin in the shop.

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #19
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
As fast as Orange, and as Mean as Black...all rolled into one.

Cheers!
My thoughts exactly
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:21 PM   #20
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,068
[QUOTE=so I can hear myself scream when I wipe out and stuff..or just to hear for a minute at toll booths without stopping the heavy metal entirely.[/QUOTE]

Thank your for your most complete explanation, Flanny. I noticed you had a 'lil scuff on the right lower. You really must turn that stuff off when you are motoring in a high state. Afterall, it's not proper to have a music player on a race bike. What are you thinking!

Should see your scoot first hand in your rally class come May. I gotta' get a handle on that dash. I got a sticker guy for the plates, but thanks for the cut. I been puzzling how I could do it, what with all those doo dads to shape around.

-Pantah
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #21
Flanny OP
Flanny-it-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
I been puzzling how I could do it, what with all those doo dads to shape around.

-Pantah
Making custom graphics is a piece of cake:

1 - Get yourself some 6mil vapour barier (clear plastic), then tape it to the bike wherever you want to make a graphic.
2 -Trace the outline of the graphic you want with a sharpie marker
3 - Lay your clear plastic over a the piece of vinyl you are going to make your grpahic from and tape it into place
4 - Cut out the required shape with an exacto knife with a fresh new blade
5 - Clean the area on the bike with rubbing alcohol
6 - Mist the area lightly with a bit of soapy water solution (very little soap)
7 - apply your vinyl and squeege the water out from undernearth with a credit card, starting from the centre.
8 - Robert is your father's brother.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #22
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,539
Damn fine job, Flanny
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #23
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Flanny- where can I source the steering damper assembly? I keep getting a "url not found" message when searching for RTT Motorsports.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:50 PM   #24
Fresno
Adventurero

Oddometer: 616
Check the Emig dampner against the RTT. Most of the posts I've seen favor the Emig triple clamp/dampner set up. I've got the Emig and have had no problems.
Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:59 AM   #25
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,743
Very nice Flanny, that thing looks the business
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:31 AM   #26
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Nice work, Flanny...I like it!!

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:31 AM   #27
Flanny OP
Flanny-it-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick
Flanny- where can I source the steering damper assembly? I keep getting a "url not found" message when searching for RTT Motorsports.

The site is www.rttmotorsports.com

Their site seems to be down right now for some reason...probably just updatting.

The thing that I like about the RTT is that it is completely integrated into the top clamp, in one beautiful piece of art. Installation was a snap, and the tower uses the two frame bolt holes, so there was no griding to be done to get it all to fit. The only thing I had to do in terms of mods was to cut the channel for the steering lock down a few mm (1.5min with a dremel). I also like the fact that there is no damper sticking up on to of the bar clamp, leaving lots of space to mount the GPS.

The remote switch for on the fly control is the business too.

Plus, I think it winds up being less expensive than their compeditors when all is said and done.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:33 AM   #28
Flanny OP
Flanny-it-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
Very nice Flanny, that thing looks the business

James...Your seat makes the bike.

At the show EVERYBODY, I mean EVERYBODY would come over an touch the softness of it and say wow...suede!
Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 AM   #29
vgstef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
part number

Quote:

Their site seems to be down right now for some reason...probably just updatting.

The thing that I like about the RTT is that it is completely integrated into the top clamp, in one beautiful piece of art. Installation was a snap, and the tower uses the two frame bolt holes, so there was no griding to be done to get it all to fit. The only thing I had to do in terms of mods was to cut the channel for the steering lock down a few mm (1.5min with a dremel). I also like the fact that there is no damper sticking up on to of the bar clamp, leaving lots of space to mount the GPS.

Plus, I think it winds up being less expensive than their compeditors when all is said and done.

Do you have the part number for the RTT Damper. What is the price of the unit ?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #30
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:

It looks like they are still working on their site..... Flanny, you wouldn't happen to have an old fashioned phone number for them, would you?
I like the idea of the lower profile as well as utilizing the existing frame bolt holes. At this time I'm not convinced I need to change the clamp offset either, so the RTT looks like a decent option. The remote adjuster is cool too, but I think I could live without it were that a cheaper option. Have you any idea of retail to us ordinary schmoes?
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote