ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Sasquatch Dual Sport Run

I'm thinking of doing the sasquatch dual sport run put on by Sound Rider this coming summer. I'm looking for thoughts and opinions about the ride by anyone who has already done it. The usual likes and dislikes, fun factor. Would you do it again?
Thanks Gary
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
I did it last year and have signed up for this one again. It was reasonably well organized, they carried part of our gear (sleeping bag, tent, and pad was a typical load), the scenery and weather were awesome, and I met some really cool people that I have and will be riding again with.
You should go. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Do a search and you'll find at least one ride report from last year.
Good luck & hope to see you there!
Dean
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
I've done this two years in a row, had an absolute blast.
It's easy for anyone from n00bs to experienced riders to have fun and get along.

2009 was perfect for me, great North Cascades scenery, lots of off-highway stuff. Good miles per day in 2009.
1010 had more pavement than I was hoping for,
but I enjoyed seeing lots and lots of Oregon Cascades and Coast Range along the way.
The days lasted a little longer than I wanted, but it was partly my fault,
I loli-gagged and took lots of pictures along the way.

I highly recommend this not-too-overly-organized-but-just-right ride,
to anyone looking to get excited about adventure riding.
This'll do it

Great personal training too, to get to ride a variety of roads day after day after day, after day.
And then ride home .
Last year's (2010) ride for me was over 1,700 miles, in 7 days; I took the lo-oooong off-pavement way home,
for exactly $298 (gas & all food) + $90 entry fee.
Cheap & Awesome Riding Vacation. Hotels and State Parks are for the GS guys
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
king of mary's
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Sasquatch Ride Question

I came across this post regarding the Sasquatch Ride and thought I would take advantage of your collective wisdom and experience.

All my riding buddies are street only so I will be attending the Sasquatch solo. Is it easy to hook up with a group once it begins? I ask in part because of my unreasonably poor directional skills and likelihood that I would become lost if left to my own reckoning.

Along these same lines, how important is GPS? I don't have one mounted on the DS bike but could do so if need be.

Based on your experience in prior years, any recommendations on lodging/camping? I understand it will be a different route - I was more interested in your views on lodging logistics generally. I was thinking a combo might be the way to go (camp every other night).

Any other thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.
king of mary's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of mary's View Post
I came across this post regarding the Sasquatch Ride and thought I would take advantage of your collective wisdom and experience.

All my riding buddies are street only so I will be attending the Sasquatch solo. Is it easy to hook up with a group once it begins? I ask in part because of my unreasonably poor directional skills and likelihood that I would become lost if left to my own reckoning. .
Yes, it will be easy to hook up with another rider, especially if you go to the night-before gig and camp with the group.
Just assert yourself with someone who also looks alone and ask them.
I went alone two years and found riding partners easily, but both years ended up riding solo after I was comfortable, and I had more fun that way.
Most folks should ride with a partner for safety, especially n00bs.

Quote:
Along these same lines, how important is GPS? I don't have one mounted on the DS bike but could do so if need be..
The route is long and run on GPS. It will be much easier/faster if you have one.
A binded paper route guide, step by step, turn by turn, is also offered and will get the job done, but requires some studying along the way.
An Atlas could be a smart move to bring, for backup.

Quote:
Based on your experience in prior years, any recommendations on lodging/camping? I understand it will be a different route - I was more interested in your views on lodging logistics generally. I was thinking a combo might be the way to go (camp every other night).

Any other thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.
The organizer will send Hotel and major campground info right before it starts.
You will have time for reservations, if that's your thing.
I primitive camped, and ad-libbed every night, but you must be more adventerous for this, most prefer a plan.

Have fun, it's a GREAT way for n00bs to get into really enjoying Dual Sporting, and a great way to learn lots about riding, fast.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
king of mary's
n00b

Thanks much Apple Jam for the timely and thorough response - sounds like GPS is the way to go.

From the ride reports I've read of prior years, it seems like a great week of riding.

I hope to see you there.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Thanks much Apple Jam for the timely and thorough response - sounds like GPS is the way to go.

From the ride reports I've read of prior years, it seems like a great week of riding.

I hope to see you there.
It WILL be a great week of riding.
That's the best part about the Sasquatch Ride....

It's a WHOLE WEEK of riding, and then you get to ride home, too

Bring your camera....
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

I bought my gps after last year's Sasquatch, and not having one on that ride was a big motivator to get one. I trucked the bike down to Hood River last year (from Port Angeles) for a variety of reasons, (Wifey was taking the truck that way to do some camping with a friend anyway), but this year will ride to and from. I'm anxious to find out where we're going!
I also didn't know anyone, got totally lost on the first day (note: if you follow a dude with a gps, be sure to ask if he actually loaded the route into it before thinking you are all set) and came in to town Monday night about 10pm. I was welcomed by a group walking back to camp from dinner, and they took me under their wing the rest of the week. Like AJ said, it's pretty easy to find someone to ride with if you want.
This year I have my Garmin 60cx on the handlebars, and kinda know how to use it even.
I camped all but one night when I hoteled it, giving me a chance to do some washing of me and laundry, but I will probably just camp all week this time. And for sure will pack lighter!
You will have a great time.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
I'm planning to attend this one. Tom puts on a good ride. I'll be camping the whole way unless it's frog choking rain. I'll do it at a photographer's pace.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I'm just waiting for them to give us some idea of where this years ride will go before I sign up. Not that it matters a whole lot, as long as its mostly off pavement.It says they should have the route figured out by some time in April but nothing yet. I was all signed up last year and had a campground reserved for each night along the way, so I could camp and still have a hot shower at the end of the day. Five days before the start of the ride I went down riding and broke my thumb. It's hard to turn the throttle with a cast almost to your elbow. Hope to see you all this year.
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Fresh 2011 Sasquatch Dual Sport Ride News

Tom has updated the 2011 Sasquatch page on the Sound Rider website.
Ride from the highest ridable peak in the Olympic Peninsula, to the highest ridable peak in the North Cascades.
Scenery and out-of-the-way spectacular places seems to be the theme this year,
all across Washington State, West to East-ish, and then North-ish?

This is a GREAT event for n00bs and experienced riders alike, men and women both.
A Maximum of 70 riders will be spread out along each day's route, and it never got crowded or bunched up in previous years.
This is FIVE DAYS of off-the-beaten-path Dual Sport riding. A GREAT Vacation.
More even, if you want to extend your ride to/from the start/finish locales.
I am not associated with this event at all, I've just participated for two years in a row, and I want to encourage others to ride it, too.

Gas range is covered with route planning, and other riders are around to help you if you have troubles.
Campsite and motel/hotel info will be sent that covers each night at each town-stop,
so you can reserve each night ahead of time if you want, or just wing it for free camping in the Forest.

So all you gotta worry about is riding. and riding. and riding some more.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Dsport206
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
The organizer will send Hotel and major campground info right before it starts.
You will have time for reservations, if that's your thing.
I primitive camped, and ad-libbed every night, but you must be more adventerous for this, most prefer a plan.
CORRECTION: You get that sent to you via the US Mail as soon as you sign up.

Here's the website link:
http://www.soundrider.com/dsport/rides/sasquatch_dualsport.htm
Dsport206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #13
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 773
I signed up earlier today.
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

I'm in

Got my email confirmation yesterday. I'm pumped! This will be a great time. And it seem the start is in my neck of the woods so I won't have to travel too far to get to the start of the ride.
I'm going to pick up one more SD card for my camera so I have plenty of room for lots of pics. Other than that I think I'm ready to go.
See you there!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
king of mary's
n00b

signed up

I signed up as well and if e-mail confirmation consists of an electronic receipt showing my payment then I too am confirmed.

I jumped on it as soon as I read the plan for this year's ride...sounds like a great way to spend a week in August.

The guidance above has convinced me to pick up GPS - current front runner is the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx.

Another question I have is around fuel range. I still have the stock tank on my DR650SE and I would prefer to keep it that way vs. installing a larger tank and carrying around more fuel, weight and bulk than I need. I also like the stock fuel valve setup better than what I read about the IMS valve.

I recognize that the route for this year is different but any guidance from Sasquatch vets on what the range requirments have been in past years? Since they open this to 250cc class bikes it strikes me that it can't be too far between fuel stops.