Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
tennessee thumper OP
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 647
Constant Water Crossings w/ Airhead, Issues?

Bike: 1992 GSPD
Mileage: 33,000
Issue: I live in a rural part of Arkansas and have a water crossing, over a low water bridge, of at least 2-3 inches to get out of my driveway.
Most of the time the water is low enough just to wet the wheels but this time of year its is almost always high enough to get a 1/3 or so up into the final drive, soaking the brakes, bearings, seals etc...I can always see little puddles of water on the rear wheel that have drained thru the hub.

Wondering if there are any precautions or other things I can do to limit water damage. Also, what ( if any) damage/wear/soakage, should I be checking for when the rear wheel is off.

Cheers...

tennessee thumper screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 05:53 AM
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Getting the mail must be an adventure

Seriously though...going out is probably not an issue as the bike will lose the water with operation...coming in may be an issue as the water will not dissipate right away. In any case...as long as the salinity is low you probably have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
Bike: 1992 GSPD
Mileage: 33,000
Issue: I live in a rural part of Arkansas and have a water crossing, over a low water bridge, of at least 2-3 inches to get out of my driveway.
Most of the time the water is low enough just to wet the wheels but this time of year its is almost always high enough to get a 1/3 or so up into the final drive, soaking the brakes, bearings, seals etc...I can always see little puddles of water on the rear wheel that have drained thru the hub.

Wondering if there are any precautions or other things I can do to limit water damage. Also, what ( if any) damage/wear/soakage, should I be checking for when the rear wheel is off.

Cheers...
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
tennessee thumper OP
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 647
Getting anywhere around here can be an adventure. You should see the road! (Maybe I'll post a pic).

My surroundings dictated me selling a /5 to get the PD as the LWB was just not up to the task of climbing the big hill, pounding gravel and rocks. I almost went over the bridge on that bike once due to an ill fated idea to cross when the water was high and flowing hard.

Raven, you are correct, going out everything dries out...its the coming in and sitting after a crossing when the water is high that gives me a short pause.

THere is nothing but beavers, otters, smallmouth, rock bass and bluegil in the creek so, no worries about salt.

I was wondering if water gets up above the final drive vent though. It has not happened yet, but it could.

Anyway, off to cross the water, only today on the 650R...PD is waiting for new fork seals.

Speaking of which, F-U fork slider snap ring. You are a bitch.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
If the FD is what you're worried about, there is a mod you could consider that routes it up higher. Basically a bango bolt and a tube routed up high.

I imagine if it's a crossing down south you probably have algae to deal with too, no? That stuff sucks...it's worse than ice.

If you want to get anal, you might want to invest in one of those bike blowers...or use the KLR (mine) method of a leaf blower to expel moisture that I use after my annual washdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
Getting anywhere around here can be an adventure. You should see the road! (Maybe I'll post a pic).

My surroundings dictated me selling a /5 to get the PD as the LWB was just not up to the task of climbing the big hill, pounding gravel and rocks. I almost went over the bridge on that bike once due to an ill fated idea to cross when the water was high and flowing hard.

Raven, you are correct, going out everything dries out...its the coming in and sitting after a crossing when the water is high that gives me a short pause.

THere is nothing but beavers, otters, smallmouth, rock bass and bluegil in the creek so, no worries about salt.

I was wondering if water gets up above the final drive vent though. It has not happened yet, but it could.

Anyway, off to cross the water, only today on the 650R...PD is waiting for new fork seals.

Speaking of which, F-U fork slider snap ring. You are a bitch.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
I'm not sure about the FD on a paralever but on a mono water will definitely get in to the oil. As far as the engine goes I've had water over the cylinders with no problems but the FD oil is always milky afterwards.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,799
I find that with river crossings the problem can be making sure that the ignition does not get wet, this is one of the many situations where electronic is better than points. After deep crossings empty water out of the float bowls.
Wheel bearing seals should be good enough to protect the bearings.
Charles
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
I would definitely check your FD oil for water often. I would raise the vent. Keep an eye on your Paralever bearings and U-joint. Swingarm bearings and wheel bearings too. Pretty much everything. Riding bikes off road wears them out!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote