User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
Dusredel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Honda ct 100 needs help on the road in Vietnam

Hello I usually hang in the hacks section but I'm hiding from the cold in veitnam for a road trip. Bought a honda super dream but it's basically a ct 100 from what I understand. I'm hauling my girlfriend and her shit on the bike as well. I did a few hundred mile shake down after buying it and everything seems ok. I have only changed the oil. Language is a huge barrior here so I wanted to ask you guys for help. I'm gonna hopefully head into some remote areas soon and I want the best chance I can get at having a trouble free ride. I want to get the bike serviced properly but I don't know anything about it. I was thinking a carb clean, and change the air filter. New spark plug. Oil again. The question I have is can the valves be checked on it, and if so how? Is the cam chain adjustable? Let me know anything else I should have adjusted or checked. So far I have made some pretty steep climbs but I was thinking if I really go into the mountians could I get a rear sprocket with one more tooth and would that help in climbing steep grades. Would I need a different chain and is switching rear sprockets for areas with alot of climbing really realistic. I'm sure all my friends are laughing at me for riding around on a scooter but I think you guys might just be onto something. So far scooter life is the life. I might need to get one when in back home or maybe just ride it all the way back. The only real problem is that the seat is killing me and vietnamese drivers are trying to kill me as well.
Dusredel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
XVS504
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Luckily they are very simple machines, the parts are mostly interchangeable and cheap.

If I was taking a stock C-whatever on a long trip, this is what I would do.

*Oil change
*New fuel lines
*In-line fuel filter
*Carb clean/inspection
*Valve adjustment
*Brake pads
*Sprocket rubbers, or "cush drive"
*Inspect the rear sprocket for wear. They are cheap enough to just replace if doubtful.

There's no cam chain tensioner that needs regular adjustment, so you're good there. You can add a tooth on the front sprocket to help with the hills and a passenger and keep the stock chain length.

XVS504 screwed with this post 02-23-2015 at 09:01 AM
XVS504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
XVS504
Adventurer

As far as the language barrier goes, I'd print out pictures of the parts I wanted replaced and bring to the shop
Old 02-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
Dusredel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. That's a good list and alot of things I had over looked.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 598
Finding the right mechanic will be a challenge, but you are in the right country to find expert help. Vietnamese certainly understand the workings of small 2 wheel vehicles better than anyone, and the have lots of experience in making quick cheap repairs that get you back on the road. Ride on!
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
Dusredel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's the part I think I'm gonna struggle with is finding a mechanic I feel like checking valves is gonna be the hard part to get done. I'll see tomorrow what I can stumble across
Old 02-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
Maccaoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
G'day Dusredel
The language barrier can cause some frustration but smile point and wave your hands about works well for most things.Paper and a pen and draw the bits you want checked also works with the point & wave.
If you have a smart phone a translation apt such as "myLanguage" can be a big help, sometimes the translation can be wrong or not make sense but the reader will soon let you know if they don't understand
The Vietnamese "mechanics" were fixing Dreams when just out of nappies.
In most cities you will find large Honda shops with spot on service departments. I use these when its time for more than a oil change as at least your motorcycle bits arnt getting full of sand, dirt or dog poo that comes with most of the roadside small shops.
Language barrier again as it will be unlikely anyone will speak English but you never know who will turn up to help.
Change oil,spark plug.Check brake pads, chain and sprockets, Cush drive etc as XVS504 said below. If the bike is an older model probably a good idea to check steering head and swing arm bearings as well.
We find the biggest problem touring,with pillion,on the underbones is the suspension. If yours bottoms out on the bumps replacement heavy sprung shocks are available from the bigger roadside bike shops.
Tyres are your big lookout,get the best available with the deepest aggressive tread pattern, then make sure there is a rim band/tape covering the spoke heads under the tube.I carry a spare rear tube+puncture kit and foot pump .See if you can buy a tyre pressure gauge as 95% of the bike shops or tyre repair joints don't have a guage.90 psi is common after a service or puncture repair when 30+F / 35+R is less like riding on solid rubber tyres
The little underbones are slugs on the hills,when loaded, best to just relax and check out the scenery,they will get to wherever you are going----eventually
Maccaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 419
If you have an Android phone, Google Translate allows speech translation. It also has Vietnamese as one of it's language. It is pretty amazing. Will allow you to say a sentence in English and then it will say the same sentence in whichever language you have as the second language. Then hold the phone in landscape when they reply and it will translate what they say in English.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVS504 View Post
You can add a tooth on the front sprocket to help with the hills and a passenger and keep the stock chain length.
I think XVS504 misspoke when suggesting you can add a tooth on the front sprocket to help with the hills. You'd definitely want to drop a tooth on the front.
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
XVS504
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
I think XVS504 misspoke when suggesting you can add a tooth on the front sprocket to help with the hills. You'd definitely want to drop a tooth on the front.
Oops, yeah. Funny how science works!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:13 AM   #11
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,394
You may want to contact underboning he and Re did a trip on a couple of Syms.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown

vtwin screwed with this post 02-25-2015 at 01:21 AM
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote