User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #46
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
$4800., for a 200!

A dealer told me today the GT200i was to list at $4800. I didn't ask about the 300, but you can imagine. Kymco's on drugs as far as I'm concerned. This is full Vespa territory and flat overpriced. Maybe I'm just not destined to get a scooter because any that intrigue me are way overpriced.

Kymco has actually lowered the prices on some scooters lately and in my deluded mind I thought the GT200i might list for about $3200-3300.

A f'in Honda SH150 list for $300 less, and even my local Honda shop concedes that's priced $1000. too high!

For now I'll stick with motorcycles, they're a bargain. Let Kymco wear the thing.
'11 Vespa GTS300

kconville screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 06:13 PM
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #47
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
kcon... state of denial is funny but where in the world is that for the rest of us?
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #48
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Went to the local Kymco dealer here in Prescott today. The owner contacted his Kymco rep with told him the GTi300 is not due in until July. MSRP will be $5,399. Tax docs and registration will put it around $6100 OTD.

He commented that some of the Kymco products like the Agility and some others where priced very good, but some of the others, mostly larger ones, were on the high side.

Sort of took my enthusiasm out of the idea of a new scoot this summer!
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #49
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy View Post
kcon... state of denial is funny but where in the world is that for the rest of us?
Ventura County, SoCal. One dealer I contacted was in the San Fernando Valley. The other in the San Gabriel Valley.
'11 Vespa GTS300
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #50
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
A dealer told me today the GT200i was to list at $4800. I didn't ask about the 300, but you can imagine. Kymco's on drugs as far as I'm concerned. This is full Vespa territory and flat overpriced. Maybe I'm just not destined to get a scooter because any that intrigue me are way overpriced.

Kymco has actually lowered the prices on some scooters lately and in my deluded mind I thought the GT200i might list for about $3200-3300.

A f'in Honda SH150 list for $300 less, and even my local Honda shop concedes that's priced $1000. too high!

For now I'll stick with motorcycles, they're a bargain. Let Kymco wear the thing.

That is redicously overpriced! What the hell is Kymco thinking?

Your right. $4,800 is the too damn much. For hells sake the GT "200" is actually just 174.5 cc.

But on there side it IS a nice scooter. I hear it can hit almost 80 MPH which is pretty fast. Its fuel injected, liquid cooled, has a tach, etc. Nice scooter for sure. But isn't it listed at $3,500?

Strange thing is how there other prices are going down. The nice little Agility 125 can be had for just $1,799, now you CAN'T beat that!

But for over $4,000, why not just by a motorcycle? You could get a decent motorcycle, or a nice used Sportster or something, FAR more capable and far more bike for the price.

Strange, but as long as most of their bikes are priced well!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #51
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
There is one in Torrance http://www.pacificyamaha.com/ and Orange too http://www.scootershop.com/catalog/ .
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #52
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Kcon,

the Scooter shop listed in the message above mine is showing the DT300 for $5249... put it in the basket style. That is awful close to the the $4800 the dealer is asking for the GT200.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #53
KYRifleman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thats an interesting scooter, looks like it would be practical but not sure about that pricing...
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #54
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 714
This seems pretty consistent with current pricing. A downtown is
$5600. A Honda sh300 is probably over $6k msrp. These are the most desirable scoots in their segment, and that's what people who want the best are willing to pay. They are probably very expensive to make too.

As a comparison, a cbr250 will be more than $5300 OTD. You know, toys like that aren't going to be the best buy, maybe the most fun for you...
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #55
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
That is redicously overpriced! What the hell is Kymco thinking?

Your right. $4,800 is the too damn much. For hells sake the GT "200" is actually just 174.5 cc.

But on there side it IS a nice scooter. I hear it can hit almost 80 MPH which is pretty fast. Its fuel injected, liquid cooled, has a tach, etc. Nice scooter for sure. But isn't it listed at $3,500?

Strange thing is how there other prices are going down. The nice little Agility 125 can be had for just $1,799, now you CAN'T beat that!

But for over $4,000, why not just by a motorcycle? You could get a decent motorcycle, or a nice used Sportster or something, FAR more capable and far more bike for the price.

Strange, but as long as most of their bikes are priced well!
From the info I have seen, the GT200i is the same as the new GT300i except for the engine which is 205cc. Even the weights are listed as the same. It would make more sense to buy the 300.

As for buying a motorcycle, it is hard to directly compare a scooter to a motorcycle. Most motorcycles are not nearly as convenient or practical as a scooter although they do offer more performance. I'm not sure why you would consider a sportster more capable than a 300cc scooter. Except for the fact that the sportster has a little more power, I don't see how it is any more capable. I would by a new GT300i or DT300 over a new 1200 sportster even if they were priced the same.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #56
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
From the info I have seen, the GT200i is the same as the new GT300i except for the engine which is 205cc. Even the weights are listed as the same. It would make more sense to buy the 300.
I agree with that, IF one were to buy one of the new People models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
As for buying a motorcycle, it is hard to directly compare a scooter to a motorcycle. Most motorcycles are not nearly as convenient or practical as a scooter although they do offer more performance.
I also agree with these statements.
There is an important distinction however, and that is cost to produce. Scooters are much cheaper to produce. A variator/centrifugal clutch arrangement is quite simple and cheap. Gears, shafts, bearing journals, oil ports, etc. are not.
The quality of most finish parts can be much less than on most motorcycles because you can't see them. Again reducing costs.

Kymco can suck it. I'll buy a Vespa first. Vespa has the distinction of holding their value over the long haul. Nothing from Taiwan, no matter how good it is initially, can say that.
'11 Vespa GTS300
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #57
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
It's the 1st sub 400cc scooter to be truly interstate capable offered stateside. As for pricing, time will tell.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #58
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
There is an important distinction however, and that is cost to produce. Scooters are much cheaper to produce. A variator/centrifugal clutch arrangement is quite simple and cheap. Gears, shafts, bearing journals, oil ports, etc. are not.
The quality of most finish parts can be much less than on most motorcycles because you can't see them. Again reducing costs.

Kymco can suck it. I'll buy a Vespa first. Vespa has the distinction of holding their value over the long haul. Nothing from Taiwan, no matter how good it is initially, can say that.
Although the mechanical part of a scooter may be a little cheaper to produce than a motorcycle, the extensive bodywork is not cheap. Also, very small motorcycles tend to be pretty stripped down and almost never have things like a centerstand.

As for Kymco, the resale value may be lower than Vespa but they cost less to begin with. For people like me who tend to buy bikes and run them untill they are worn out, resale value just isn't that important. I am more concerned with ease of maintenance, operating costs, and most importantly, enjoying the ride. I bought a new Super 8 150 a few months ago for $2200 OTD with a 2 year warrantee. I've been having a blast on it. I don't know of anything else I could have bought new for that price that could have matched what I got. I am considering getting another bigger scooter and Kymco is at the top of my list. I like Vespa's but they cost quite a bit more than I want to pay.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #59
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
This seems pretty consistent with current pricing. A downtown is
$5600. A Honda sh300 is probably over $6k msrp. These are the most desirable scoots in their segment, and that's what people who want the best are willing to pay. They are probably very expensive to make too.
I have heard at least one report of a guy who tried both and like the GTI300
better.. I expect a lot more of those..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #60
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
I've been humping the GTi300 at a local dealership who just got it, here's a few
pics:

The seating position is very similar to everything else that it's supposed to
be comparable with, like the Piaggio BV/Beverly, Aprilia Scarabeo etc.. probably the SH300 too.

It looks small, but when you climb aboard, it's spacious, and fits me just
fine (5'11", 190lbs). I could live with it, no doubt about that.

BUT!

There was a Downtown 300 parked right next to it.. and for me, there's
really no comparing them.. more comfort, wind protection, a proper GT
cruiser-type scoot that I can see myself traveling with.

The GTi 300 is all about being the fastest guy around town.

Both great products without a doubt.. I'm rather hoping I'll be able to
buy one of them..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery

Cortez screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 12:16 PM
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote