User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
G650GS vibration question???

Just test drove a G650gs and was concerned with vibration felt in the seat and handlebars. It wasn't too bad for a short ride but worried about the long hauls. Anyone with a bmwg650gs with experience on long rides please let me know how it is working out for you.
Thanks
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,445
Try wiggling the counter shaft/drive shaft sprocket. There shouldn't be any play here but it's easy to get this wrong. I've got 2 of these and discovered this the hard way. Easy mistake to make. These bikes are super balanced and one of the least vibrating singles around.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Buckskin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thumbs down Not normal

I've put nearly 13k miles on my 2010 G650GS since last June and have no experience of this. Something isn't right with the one you drove (or) you are like the princess & the pea!
Buckskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
CrookedChris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I just got a 2012 G650GS a week ago and I've got to say... that vibration between 4k and 5k RPM (haven't gone any higher as the manual says this is a no-no before 600 miles) is significantly worse than I expected. I haven't ridden any other singles so I don't know how it compares but to me it seems at least annoying.

If the dealer wasn't a 2 hour drive from where I live I'd just take it there for them to check out. Besides the drive shaft sprocket is there anything else I could/should look at before making that trip to the dealer?
CrookedChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
CrookedChris
Adventurer

I checked the sprocket: good and tight. Following leads from other forum posts I reduced the rear suspension pre-load by two clicks from the factory set-up and removed and replaced my seat making sure everything was seated correctly.

This morning there's noticeably less vibration in that 4-5k range. Could just be in my head though.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
First, I don't know what you ride now, but a single has a different vibration than a twin or four cylinder. A single has more of a thump as opposed to a high frequency vibration. A thump is normal and is always there, but doesn't intrude on the ride and is soon forgotten. If you were feeling a buzz in the bars or seat, then something is wrong. Some times during set-up things are missed and not tightened like they should be, it could have been chain or belt slap from being out of adjustment or something loose anywhere on the bike. Metal is an excellent conductor of vibration and noise. Ride another GS and see if it is different, if it is the same, don't buy one you will not like it. It has been my experiance that singles don't get smoother with mileage, you just get used to the thumping.

Next, what do you call a long ride? I will go out after work in the evening and ride 200 miles, I rode 1100 miles last weekend on back roads going no where in particular. Neither is a long ride for me! I thought I rode until I hooked up with some IBA members, I don't even get the oil warmed up.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
MoDoc
***oc

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
Just test drove a G650gs and was concerned with vibration felt in the seat and handlebars. It wasn't too bad for a short ride but worried about the long hauls. Anyone with a bmwg650gs with experience on long rides please let me know how it is working out for you.
Thanks
Rode two 320s back to back (to Barder school of racing) last summer with three others. Mine has a sweet spot around 72-75 mph. But she purrs like a kitten at 85. Have a stock seat with lamby wool cover is all. Didn't notice lots of vibs at idle or slow speeds. Probably use to it by now.
2009 G650gs 12k miles

What year is your test drive vehicle?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
MtnGirl
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Same problem for me

CrookedChris,

Have you come up with a solution for the vibration? I am dealing with the same problem in the seat/leg area. It vibrates (buzz's) like crazy and I thought it was just me. Around 3-4k. My husband has a KLR 650 and his does not vibrate at all. I bought it 2 weeks ago and have put on 200 miles already. I am probably going to take it back to the dealer to see if they can adjust/fix it. I hope. I didn't have an opportunity to test drive their demo before I bought it - my mistake....

~MtnGirl
MtnGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
We purchased a new 2011 G650GS and now have around 600 miles on it, with no buzzing or vibrations. Ours is the lowered version.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #10
MtnGirl
n00b

Hopefully it will be a quick fix.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
MtnGirl
n00b

To the dealer we go....

Dropping it off at the dealer on Friday. Will let you know what they do...
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,062
If 3-4 k has vibration, go a little faster. 5k is nice on mine, 2009 model.

Two weeks ago, at a dealer, I got a loaner for a few hours, a brand new F800R. That things vibrated much more than my G. It drove me crazy! Nice bike, but too much shaking and buzzing (at any RPM range)

At idle, the instrument cluster reminded me of a Harley horn.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #13
CrookedChris
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGirl View Post
Dropping it off at the dealer on Friday. Will let you know what they do...
The more annoying of the vibes seem to come and go. Some days it's fine, I don't notice. Others it seems like it's going to vibe my head off.

Was the dealer able to find anything?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
renzo
n00b

Oddometer: 6
vibrations through the seat and handle bars have gotten more noticeable in the 3k-4k rpm range. its always been buzzy above 4k rpms. not sure whats going on. its got to go in for a new water pump seal (oil side )so i'll have the dealer look into that as well.

12 g 650 gs w/ 2300 miles
renzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,094
I have logged a lot of miles on the single spark Dakar and it was too vibey for anything over 70mph indicated.

This from a DR650 rider who rode it coast to coast twice and north to south once. Soured my opinion of the rotax engine.