Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
kknuth OP
Up Nort!

Oddometer: 190
Question Lowrance Baja Elite 5M

I have one of these units sitting in front of me. I am anxious to mount this unit on my bike as it seems very high quality and the large screen size is wonderful.
However, the included base map is...uh...lacking in detail. It seems that it only shows interstate highways and some major state highways. This is NOT acceptable for dual sport use, so I am looking for other base maps to purchase for this unit or software that will create base maps.

Thanks for the help!
kknuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknuth View Post
I have one of these units sitting in front of me. I am anxious to mount this unit on my bike as it seems very high quality and the large screen size is wonderful.
However, the included base map is...uh...lacking in detail. It seems that it only shows interstate highways and some major state highways. This is NOT acceptable for dual sport use, so I am looking for other base maps to purchase for this unit or software that will create base maps.

Thanks for the help!
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Out...pecifications/

Looks like it has a base map but not a mapset for detailed mapping. The base is likely giving you the major roads.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
kknuth OP
Up Nort!

Yes, exactly. Like I said only a few highways are shown.

I get conflicting answers from lowrance but one email from them stated "The only maps that the Elite-5m support are*Navionics Gold chartcards (U.S. & worldwide) and Fishing Hot Spots and LakeMaster mapcards (U.S.) in microSD format. "

So I may try the avionics maps and report back here if they are useable or not.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,109
I've been poking around on their site. It looks like you have to purchase your maps separately. http://www.mapselect.com/
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,971
You'd think if they named the unit Baja Elite 5M it would have LAND maps available. Baja ain't no lake or river.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351

Premium Widest-Coverage Options
Wherever you take your HDS fishing or boating around the U.S. – inland, east/west coast, or the Baja peninsula –Insight HD card options have you covered, with premium, high-detail choices that truly don’t cost a premium.

High-detail inshore/offshore contour lines with high-resolution shaded (dimensional) relief viewing
# Highest Resolution and Closer Zooms
# High-Definition Shaded Relief
# Exclusive Baja Directions™ Enhanced Content
# Exceptional and Accurate Detail

Also, not sure if they are compatible but they do have AccuTerra Outdoor Topo Maps on plug & play microSD cards for the Endura series that may also work with the Baja. Worth a call to them.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 04-15-2011 at 11:02 AM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,390
if you find you dont want it contact me..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
kknuth OP
Up Nort!

Thumbs down

Their tech support says neither the Endura or MapSelect maps will work on the Elite 5M. I have made mutiple calls to support, sent emails to support, and to Marketing. No one can help.

Either Lowrance has no idea about the needs of land based GPS users, or this is completely an off-road / remote location GPS unit targeted at users who have no intention of going anywhere near pavement.

I can't recommend this unit for "adventure travel" at all. Too bad, it sure has good build quality and a great screen.

kknuth screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 09:24 PM
Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
before you give up on it, maybe try calling someone at navionics?

Quote:
Their tech support says neither the Endura or MapSelect maps will work on the Elite 5M. I have made mutiple calls to support, sent emails to support, and to Marketing. No one can help.

Either Lowrance has no idea about the needs of land based GPS users, or this is completely an off-road / remote location GPS unit targeted at users who have no intention of going anywhere near pavement.

I can't recommend this unit for "adventure travel" at all. Too bad, it sure has good build quality and a great screen.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Can you use this??? http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/...ping-Software/
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
kknuth OP
Up Nort!

Read my previous post. I have called Navionics (the owners of Lowrance brand), and wrote them emails, and they all say there are no land based map products for the Elite 5M.

The Map Create 7 software you posted is no longer available from them. I have no idea why they leave it posted on their website.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Read my previous post. I have called Navionics (the owners of Lowrance brand), and wrote them emails, and they all say there are no land based map products for the Elite 5M.

The Map Create 7 software you posted is no longer available from them. I have no idea why they leave it posted on their website.
Mapcreate is discontinued unless you can find it on-line someplace or used.
I won't sell me copy. I use it with the XOG alot.
Now I have had luck creating maps from scratch, or using gpsfiledepot.com garmin maps and gpsmapedit.
But be forewarned its not perfect, and garmin maps have more detail and different types of icons than Lowrance and I could not get the elevation lines to be correct but they was there.

drop me an email zecatfish at gmail dot com and I'll email you a gpsmapedit generated lcm map. (the Map create maps are keyed to the memory card so they can't be shared just copying to another card.)

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Ah ha. Navico is the owner of lowrance. Navionics is a separate company. Also maybe try navteq.

It seems like there are still some copies of map create 7 around on ebay/amazon.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 05-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
ban
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Will a ".lcm" maps work on a SD card?

I created a map file with a ".lcm" extension, put the file on a SD card and plugged it into my Lowrance XOG. The XOG displayed the map. I did not test to see if it would navigate using the maps. (I can not test it because the XOG is on its way back to Lowrance for the 3rd of 4th time.)

If you want to try it, then send me a PM with your email and I will send you a small "lcm" map file.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Dan Stanford
ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
kknuth OP
Up Nort!

Sorry, Sorry, you are right. The two sound so much alike I get confused.
I did look at Navionics before but could get no guarantee that they had land detail, only lake and ocean detail. So I didn't waste my time with them.

KK.