User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #1
bikerooter OP
the hard way

Oddometer: 271
Five Deserts- Australia

Introduction For me this trip was revenge for the failed attempt in 2007, where a busted gear box left eight months of planning up the creek, actually Halls Creek. As soon as the word was out that another attempt was on the cards the hats were thrown in the ring thick and fast. There was to be five riders from the Townsville area and of course our usual far away trip companions from Gympie, five in total. The plan was to meet at Boulia and traverse five deserts including the Canning Stock Route and return home. Sounds easy.

The Townsville participants:
Andrew (aka Adc - mechanic ) (ADVRIDER Name:Killametre)
Bearing a remarkable resemblance to Ken Berry The leader of the F Troop, what the hell is it with that scarf !

Deaf Johnny (boiler maker),

Rodney (aka Rodger the boilermaker / pineapple squeezer)

Dudley (aka 3D-apprentice electrician)

and myself (aka lots of things).

The Gympie Crew:

Tony (aka Woody- track press man)

Allan (aka Homer- electrician),

Mike (aka Fishes Bum- government employee),

Ken (aka Kenny-mechanic),

Mark (aka Mark-chef)

bikerooter screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 03:29 AM
bikerooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Bring it on!

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
bikerooter OP
the hard way

DAY 1 959km
Simple day. Ass burn 950 km on the tar to Boulia.

Townsville - Walkabout Service Station

The 6 AM start meant the air was still chilly even by Townsville's standards with a super heavy fog that lasted for better than 90 km towards Charters leaving the gear dripping wet at the first piss stop.

Prarie - Windmill (largest model windmill in the southern hemisphere)

The first fuel stop was at Hughenden where Andrew riding last was complaining about the squash balls that were flying off the back of Rodger's KTM, on closer inspection we found the 640 was throwing the centre knob of the desert tyre Rodger had freshly fitted.

Maxxis Desert failure !

Burgers all around at Winton and a fresh tank of juice and a swap of ass cheeks and we cut for Boulia before the roos started to move. Adc could smell the food at the Boulia Fuel and Grease mart cause the needle started flicking on 140 and the roos hadn't come out to play. Lucky.

3D on the gas !

The Gympie boys were to be waiting at Boulia but had decided to long grass that plan and headed for Tobermorey instead. The restaurant only had enough tucker for two specials so it was burgers all around again for dinner, the deaf bloke didn't mind. There didn't seem to be too much inviting grass at the caravan park so we shuffled out of town a few ks and camped in the dust.

bikerooter screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 03:28 AM
Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
bikerooter OP
the hard way

Day 2 715 km

The sunrise across the dry plains was quiet stunning even from inside the sleeping bag peering through the tiny hole left by the draw string, hesitant to get out incase it was actually freezing and hoping Rodger would have the billy on.

Boulia sunrise

The first pack up of camp was bound to be steady with everyone trying to remember where they put the shit on their bike with Rodger having the most trouble remembering, must of needed another cigarette. The road across the Plenty was just as I remember it, straight and fairly uneventful apart from the random rocks that whip the bars in your hand just to make sure you were awake.

Flat outback

Adc's chain lube blew all over the back of his bike as we hit the border, good excuse for Rodger to have another cigarette. Being out the front, I could see the fresh trails of the Gympie boys and was hopeful of running them down but as Mark scored a flat at Jervois they waited long enough and our two groups were joined. For nearly all it would be the first time down the Cattle Water Pass Track, Woody and Homer almost didn't make it after a close shave with a 4WD and a cattle grid on the Plenty.

Cattlewater Pass Track

Homer and Fish pulled an early camp at Arltunga camp ground well before dark, this camp ground was to be the downfall of the deaf boy's air mattress as the ground was littered with goat head burrs. But the shower wasn't too bad.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #5
Killametre
no time for photos

Oddometer: 33
Top work sra. Phew I made it through the first day without any bad press I am going bush for about a week so be nice I cant defend myself
Killametre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 AM   #6
dirt rider X
tropical traveller

Oddometer: 399
off to a flying start Capt'n Detour.
keep it coming
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
dirt rider X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,990
lookin good !!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #8
bikerooter OP
the hard way

Day 3 296 km

Orange sunlight beamed from the harsh surfaces of the East Macdonnell Ranges as we followed the Binns Track through to join with the Stuart Highway south of Alice.

Sunrise on the East Macs

By now all had a small taste of sand riding and the effects of the extra gear they were carrying on their machines.

Adc's rig amongst the stone ridges

We had prearranged with Desert Edge Motorcycles to deliver some tyres to a servo as the town was closed due to the picnic day, one phone call and the tyres arrived, excellent service. Two hours in the sun and every bike had fresh tyres, some a fresh gut full of oil, and others just lost half their excess baggage.

City centre service bay

After a quick gathering of food from the Coles grocery store, we headed west on the Larapinta Drive to connect with the Boggy Hole Track 118 k from Alice. I checked with a local to confirm directions and headed into the sandy whoops and pebble filled bed of the Finke River which the track follows for the most of its entirety.

Rodger and the Deaf Boy on the pebbles

Boggy Hole mirror

Boggy Hole sand paddlers

Some of the crew were having difficulty with the river sand so when we pulled up for camp at the Boggy Hole I scored a couple of suspension test rides to tune overladen bikes, the suspension was fine and the bikes really honked in the sand. I had to pat the DR when the testing was done so she wouldn't fret and keel over on me during the night. There was a hire 4WD with a burnt out clutch left at the Boggy Hole along with a prepacked camp fire which we enjoyed for the tourists which had left both behind.

3D enjoys the fire

The top loaded fruit cake came out for dessert with a cuppa as the moon filled the sky.

bikerooter screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 03:28 AM
Old 09-02-2008, 02:14 AM   #9
dirt rider X
tropical traveller

Oddometer: 399
had to search right back to page three to find the thread
come on, what happened next?
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
dirt rider X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 AM   #10
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,579
Drooooolin`

Ya got me hangin` on your every word n` pic BikeRooter !!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:43 AM   #11
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,953
yeah yeah rooter, keepem comin
philth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #12
bikerooter OP
the hard way

Day 4 299km
Kenny headed off early to get a start on the loose sand on the SE but soon ended up trying to unpack his gear to right the ship, just too heavy for him.

The Deaf Boy carves the river sand of the Finke Gorge

I made a navigational error along the river missing a track to crossover and ending up with a 12k diversion up a pretty little hollow with spinefix lined ridges.

Track through the spinefix to nowhere

Plenty of bull dust holes followed before we were finally out of the Finke Gorge National Park. A 5k shortcut led the group to the Ernest Giles Road which was sandy and corrugated but fun at speed and shortly dumped us out on the Kings Canyon Road then it was a dash to Curtain Springs before the sun dipped too low.

The shortcut lynching party held up at a natural spring, just 2 k from the road

Ernest Giles road, Kenny's footprints tell the story, sometimes sand is all about the mind. Or not having one.

Mark and Fishes Bum decided they wanted to climb the rock the following morning so they headed off to Yulara straight into the setting sun.

Glad to see everyone made it out of the bulldust holes

Curtain Springs, a small oasis(there is water there) in amongst the red dust

We camped in the camp ground and donated a couple bucks for a breezy but warm shower, the night air set in just after we finished our rump steak and dessert so there was no lingering around just off to camp.

bikerooter screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 03:27 AM
Old 09-03-2008, 03:35 AM   #13
bikerooter OP
the hard way

Day 5 731 km

A dingoes breakfast and off to the rock, but not before Rodger's 640 sight glass started looking the wrong way into the engine, Adc layed the thing over on the Lasseter Hwy and gave it the full treatment.

Roadside KTM mechanics $$$$$

We paid the $25 fee to fly past the rock and with a far off regroup came plenty of complaining about the shitty view, must have been the trees in the way.

$25 to ride straight past the rock

Not a bad view if ya stop in the right place

Kenny and Mark left the group here to continue their own journeys around the West Macdonnels and Alice.

Leaving the Olgas in the dusty mirrors we hauled the heavy sand to Docker River were Homer let the friendly kids model his helmet as we refueled and had the horns rung off the bikes.

There is a great walk amongst those rocks (the Olgas) if ya into walkin'

Long straight sandy roads abound

Rodger keeps a firm grip on his helmet

Homer at the border

300k down the great central road brought Warburton and another chance to buy everything you ever need in one shop, including a few tank fulls of Opal fuel.

Dam straight it is

3D meets Camels. This mob had several young tackers

Every bowser in these communities is still fully caged, remnants of the effect the sniffable petrol had on the locals, not to mention the need for fuel to run their V8's.

Warburton Roadhouse-the shop with the lot

We slipped out of town and across the Heather Highway and made camp as the ruts threatened an off in the late afternoon shadows.

Turn from The Great Central Road onto the Heather Highway,(highway for 46k at least)

A pre dinner snack of cracker barrel cheese, spicy salami and jatz and a cup of port set the seen for the evening of fine dining on delicately prepared cuisine.

Night time ninja's feeding on cracker barrel cheese and jatz

Homer stoked the fire along unaware of the damper hiding under the coals which added a good crust to the finished product, actually I think it was all crust.
Cold night.

bikerooter screwed with this post 03-25-2010 at 01:20 PM
Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #14
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Brillant!!

I have to ask, what is a track press man? By the look of his bike I assume it is a profession that invovles building super sized, aftermaket gas tanks for KTM's?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:44 AM   #15
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 444
keep it coming
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote