Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
dogsdangles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Talking Increase fuel economy of 990 Adv?

Hi everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a brand new 2010 990 Adventure!

The photo stream on advrider's home page is what I point people to when they ask why I chose the bike I did. The allure of traveling to far away (or nearby!), exotic places is what this bike is built for.

So, with that goal in mind, I'm curious about fuel economy. I'm getting around 125-135 miles on a tank before the reserve light comes on. Is this average/normal? My fuzzy math puts this around mid-30 mpg. I'm at just over 1000 miles, and it's seen its first servicing at 650 miles.

My question in this post is twofold:

1. What are other riders' fuel economy experiences?
2. What are some common (or uncommon) ways to boost fuel economy?

For Part 2, has anyone done any tweaking of the engine mapping to maximize fuel economy? It's great to see maps for more power, but more ponies are always at the expense of increased fuel burn. It would be nice to have a map to maximize the distance per tank. Does this exist?

What about gearing? Has anyone changed their gearing for higher final drive ratios?

External tanks? I see a lot of posts for folks jury-rigging external tanks. There's no way around the fact that more fuel equals more miles! Before I add tanks, I'm trying to find ways to squeeze every ounce of energy out of every drop of fuel!

Other ideas?

Thanks in advance everyone,

Patrick
dogsdangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,545
How many US gallons are you putting in when the light comes on? Do you have the Akra map and exhaust? What type of riding are you doing?
I have the stock "R" map and with FMF Q4's or stock exhausts and am solidly in the 40's unless hard off road. My riding partner and I have nearly identical mpg in varying riding.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
dogsdangles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
How many US gallons are you putting in when the light comes on? Do you have the Akra map and exhaust? What type of riding are you doing?
I have the stock "R" map and with FMF Q4's or stock exhausts and am solidly in the 40's unless hard off road. My riding partner and I have nearly identical mpg in varying riding.
Good questions; I should have included that info in my original post...

1. The bike is 100% stock right now.
2. All the miles so far have been mixed city/highway commuting (I know, I know...it's a shame it hasn't seen dirt yet). I do 50 miles round trip each day. There's always a mile or two of stop-and-go on our wonderful Seattle highways.
3. I'm putting in about 4-4.5 US gals of gas at each fill-up.

I'm curious to know what you got before the Akra cans and mapping. Digging down into this thread, it seems fuel economy would get worse (again, more power = lower fuel economy), other benefits aside.
dogsdangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
the octopus
The Chef

Oddometer: 107
According to my spreadsheet of every fill-up the bike (2010 KTM 990 Adventure R) has had since new, I'm sitting right at 37.83402 miles per gallon. This is with the stock filter and exhaust. I'm 250 lbs with my gear on, and 6'2". The range of fuel economy goes from about 32 mpg to about 42 mpg.

Edit: It's probably worth mentioning that 70% of my commuter miles are highway, 30% residential/stop and go traffic.
the octopus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
27rich
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 358
I also own a stock 2010 Adventure with now 1600km on the odometer. So far my fuel light is coming on at around the 265km, or 165 mile mark. Then I put either 14-15ltrs, 3.7-4 us gal in to fill up. For my break in period of 1000km I stayed to sealed back roads and then for the other 600 kms has been dirt mainly and the fuel economy has stayed the same. So far my riding has not been about fuel conservation so would think I should be able to get a bit more but not a lot.

Rich
1989 XTZ 750 super tenere SOLD
27rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
ykrweb
1% Spawn

Oddometer: 82
2010 990R Mileage

I get 32-34 miles per gallon in mixed driving and have ~1.5K miles on the ODO. I did install a 45T rear sprocket which I'm sure doesn't help. It's a tall bike and I'm a tall guy so wind resistance isn't optimal. If I kept the RPM's down I'm sure I could do better, but that sure wouldn't be much fun. Kind of defeats the purpose of spending $15K on a GIANT high strung enduro. I'm going to buy a Rotopax and mount it on my rear rack/plate to extend my range when needed.
ykrweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
catalina38
Contrarian

I don't have the Akra map or exhaust, Mine is all stock including all emissions equipment except for the FMF exhaust which didn't make any difference to the mpg. That seems very low compared to the few 2010 990's I know but we don't do much city driving. Are you doing lots of hard on the gas starts? I could make mine go that low if i really tried but I would have a fist full of tickets as well. Hard on the gas and a couple of gears means about 100 mph to me. My mileage crept higher until around 5000 miles and leveled out, but was never 30ish

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 04-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Before you worry too much about fuel mileage, finish breaking the engine in. The rings need to be seated fully before your Katoom starts to run efficiently. I assume you broke it in gently as spec'd in the manual, so now that you have your 1000 km on it, run it to red line 1/2 dozen times, letting it coast in gear against compression without the brakes between pulls. You can do this in the lower gears.

Measure the miles you ride between fill ups and calculate your fuel mileage that way. The low fuel light is an inaccurate way to calculate mpg. Do this for 1/2 dozen tank fulls and you will have some useable data for further experimentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsdangles View Post
So, with that goal in mind, I'm curious about fuel economy. I'm getting around 125-135 miles on a tank before the reserve light comes on. Is this average/normal? My fuzzy math puts this around mid-30 mpg. I'm at just over 1000 miles, and it's seen its first servicing at 650 miles.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 296
A buddy of my loaded 2 weeks ago in his total stock 2010 990ADV A the 990ADV R mapping.
And he told me that not only he got more power but his fuel economy improved also a bit.
His fuel light at first came on at 230km (142 miles)
Now with same riding style at 270km (167 miles)

(conclusion after 2 empty tanks)
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
catalina38
Contrarian

Mine comes on between 160 to 180 miles and takes 4 US gallons.

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykrweb View Post
I get 32-34 miles per gallon in mixed driving
This is my experience as well. I compute mileage each time I fill the bike up and it's consistently in that range.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
'07 990 here. I typically get mid-30s for general purpose city riding, touring goes up to 38-42 mpg, so my light comes on 135-150, or even as low as 100 if I'm hooligan-ing around town. It amazes me when people report 50 mpg or better, I've only seen that once cruising on I-80 in Wyoming when my light stayed off until 175 meaning I technically obtained a 200+ mi range on one tank of gas!

Interestingly I get WORSE mileage at low elevations (Texas, Florida) than I do in the Rockies, I thought it would be the other way around...

Check out the "TuneECU" thread, we now have the ability to tweak our own FI maps (but I haven't done it yet and know very little).

As far as extra tanks, I have the ADVtank made by Neduro, not sure if he's still taking orders or not. I just saw one in the OC flea market. Requires a 2-into-1 exhaust and then integrates into the tail section of the bike, like a rally bike! Very slick, holds 2.3 gallons extra. Total cost is the neighborhood of $700 as I recall (tank and 2-into1 mid pipe). It took me a long time to justify that to myself, but eventually I did and am very happy with the added range, I use it all the time.

OR

If you want to go HUGE get the Safari/Aqualine tanks that replace the front tanks AND fairings for a nearly bottomless capacity of something like 12-13 gallons I think. Big bucks for big range, $1200+.

People get creative with Roto-pax (roto-packs?) tanks, and good 'ole red gas jugs and some creativity will take you far, far away for only a few bucks. justgastanks.com has the roto-pax and some cool collapsible fuel bladders, but after adding all that stuff up I decided to sink my money into the rear ADVtank which is integrated and weight canceling and always ready to go.

Congrats on the new bike, you will love it! Good luck with mods that will make it YOURS!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
GlobalTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
On my 09 Adv, I was getting ~40 mpg (34 US mpg) on stock bike, switched to Wings exhausts (left SAS intact) it dropped to ~35 mpg (29 US mpg), removed the SAS and put the Akra map in last week and its now doing ~38 mpg (32 US mpg).
Riding is a mixture of short commutes, country lanes and no motorways.

I'm not overly impressed with the mpg, but I guess it's all proportional to your wrist as these figures fluctuate +/- 5 mpg (4 US mpg) on every fill up.

I must admit i'm really happy with the (09-10) Akra map (smooth, no stalling and pulls from any gear). I've decided to stay with it for a while as I have some long trips coming up (~3k) and want to see what its really like under distance, 2 up and fully laden.

Bear in mind, my bike has <1500 miles on the clock, so its still running in!

RR - Two weeks Touring Scotland

GlobalTech screwed with this post 04-15-2011 at 11:37 AM
GlobalTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
catalina38
Contrarian

My mpg gets better at higher altitudes 6000+ feet. I thought it was because the ECU and FI leaned out for the altitude. The bike runs clean and doesn't smell rich even at 12000+ feet

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTech View Post
On my 09 Adv, I was getting ~40 mpg (34 US mpg) on stock bike, switched to Wings exhausts (left SAS intact) it dropped to ~35 mpg (29 US mpg), removed the SAS and put the Akra map in last week and its now doing ~38 mpg (32 US mpg).
Riding is a mixture of short commutes, country lanes and no motorways.

I'm not overly impressed with the mpg, but I guess it's all proportional to your wrist as these figures fluctuate +/- 5 mpg (4 US mpg) on every fill up.

I must admit i'm really happy with the (09-10) Akra map (smooth, no stalling and pulls from any gear). I've decided to stay with it for a while as I have some long trips coming up (~3k) and want to see what its really like under distance, 2 up and fully laden.

Bear in mind, my bike has <1500 miles on the clock, so its still running in!
I have an '09 with wings (baffles in) and about 25000 km. I had the akra map installed for a couple of months, but I just couldn't get more than 200 km on the clocks before the fuel light went on (that's about 29 mpg). Just last week I had enough of it and went back to stock mapping. Had a nice 255 km before the light went on (39 mpg). Happy again.
I just can't figure out how some people extract that kind of range from a bike with akra mapping.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote