ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
There are different iterations of the Akra map out there. Depends on which one is used as to mpg.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I am going to the dealer in a week to have a Akra map installed on my 07 990 with a 2 into 1 exhaust, BMC air filter, Uni prefilter, and the secondary butterflies removed. What would you think is the best all around map for perfoemance and mileage. Whit stock map it averages 31 mpg.
Kenbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
dogsdangles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Wow, thanks for all the responses! The site stopped alerting me to responses, so I thought it was a dead thread. Come back to find two pages of great info!

So it would appear that I'm more or less in the median fuel economy range (low-to-mid 30s). I'm going to keep an eye on my riding style (I'm sure there was a bit of skew in the first few tanks due to the "fast new toy" factor).

I'm still curious about mechanical tweaks to squeeze out a few more mpg at cruising speeds. Has anyone messed with gearing? Swapping out 5th and 6th for higher ratios?

Engine maps are still on my list, too, but I want to check with my dealer about whether this would void my warranty (I opted to buy their extended warranty, which gives me three years coverage. That's a whole other thread as to whether or not it was worth the additional $1000!).

Thanks again to all.
dogsdangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #19
the foolish fellow
UP FOR IT

Oddometer: 140
Map

I have the akra with a 2 into 1 and BMC filter. I wouldn't change the map. Top speed has been compromised, mid range increased and fuel economy increased.
the foolish fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
I've found best mileage is with the stock maps and stock cans. The Acra maps, after market mufflers and a happy throttle can drive the mileage down into the high 20's.

Get 9500 miles on it with no mods first.

Then get a GOOD valve adjustment. Put them all to the loose end of the range. This will simulate a milder cam timing (slightly).

Install a newer map if available. Fresh plugs and air filter. Be sure to have a KTM dealer re-initalize it with the 15 minute idle from cold. The engine will then see all the changes and save the new settings. Any time you do a change, like a valve adjust, new air filter or plugs, or move to Denver, you should get it re-initalized for best running. The bike will eventually self adjust with out doing this, but it may take 5-8 full heat cycles.

Install a 17 tooth front sprocket at that time. Get a slow turn throttle to help keep it steady at cruse speed. Get narrow bags, like the 7.5" ones from Happy Trails. Keep the warm-ups short, keep rpm's above 3000 and below 4500 and the throttle below 1/3. (I know what you're thinking, I can do this for about 30 miles and then it's back to normal rev-limiter range.)

This will get you a consistent 40-42 mpg, maybe more.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #21
jetpoweredmonkey
Rider of the Lost Empire

Oddometer: 185
I've had my 2007 from new, still bone stock. I don't ride like an idiot most of the time, lots of freeway legal speeds back and forth to work, but usually I'll see 30-32MPG, best ever has been 35.

Man, that sucks. All of these MPG threads feature folks either whining like me about getting low 30s, or happy that they are getting 40. It makes me think that 50% of the bikes have something wrong with them, including mine. The range is dismal at 30MPG.

I'm playing with FI tunes and I'm going to swap on a 2 into 1 exhaust and get rid of the SAS. Fingers crossed for a MPG miracle.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #22
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 364
basically stock

I too ride a 2007 990 bought new. Stock map, stock air filter, recently added a pair of BOS slip-ons (smokin' deal in eBay, couldn't resist ).

I ride 63km to work and back everyday and track my mileage fairly consistently. Granted some days I ride a little faster than others but since I have riding the same stretch for 2.5 years now, I think that over time, it all evens out.

My best mileage ever was 5.1 l/100km (46mpg). That was a freak of nature, and I have never come close to that again.

Worst mileage was 7.0 l/100km (33.6 mpg). I was in a rush and chopped 15 minutes off my regular 40 minute commute one day. Good thing 80% of my commuting stretch still has no speed limit.

Long term average is 5.6l/100km (42.0mpg). This represents 100% commuting, no errands, no city traffic, no "short cuts" through the twisties on the way home.

I have had the slip-ons for about 3000km now and can't say I have noticed an improvement in mileage although I do find the throttle response smoother. I haven't done the 15 idle yet (I can't bring myself to subjecting the neighbors to 15 minutes of the, ahem, musical pipes.) but it is on my list of things to do. Will be curious if this has any effect.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #23
mudpao
dirty and loving it

Oddometer: 172
2010 990 ADV
Akrapovic Evo with Specified Map
9000 kms
Fuel Consumption 15.5 km/liter (doing a constant 100 kph)
Fuel Consumption 12.++km/liter ( when running with sport bikes)

So, how in heaven can some do 265km before the fuel light comes on? Maybe because the 06 to 09's have a bigger tank? The best I did was 225km before the fuel light started showing itself..... But anything more than 250km on a 16 tooth front sprocket, IMO, is kinda doubtful on a 2010 unless your doing 80kph on top gear...... Might as well just get a moped
Old 04-21-2011, 03:59 AM   #24
SixDays02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
I too ride a 2007 990 bought new. Stock map, stock air filter, recently added a pair of BOS slip-ons (smokin' deal in eBay, couldn't resist ).
I am just considering the BOS slip-ons for my 990S/2006 as an alternative to the stock cans. The new cans should be EU aproved, the fuel consumption should, at least, remain on the same level and i do plan to run them with db-killers.

As i can see form your post, the fuel consumption wasn't affected like with other cans and the bike runs smoother. This is something that i am looking for.
So, are you happy with BOS? Care to write some more words about it? Are you happy with the built quality?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #25
GlobalTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
3 tanks into the 09 Akra map and my mpg has now gone south.....at 32mpg (27 US mpg)!

Although the bike ran like a absolute dream (bar one stall), 32mpg (27 US mpg) is not acceptable!

So I switched to the 09 990R map yesterday, did the 15min adaptive and now wait for the mpg to improve.

As a side note, after doing the 15min idle the petrol was under pressure and boiling in both almost full tanks. I checked all the vents and all clear....perhaps some more heat sheilding is needed or a flapendectomy!
I do have the factory fitted cross tube between the tanks (proper nipples), so is a flapendectomy worth doing?

RR - Two weeks Touring Scotland
GlobalTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #26
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpoweredmonkey View Post
I've had my 2007 from new, still bone stock. I don't ride like an idiot most of the time, lots of freeway legal speeds back and forth to work, but usually I'll see 30-32MPG, best ever has been 35.

Man, that sucks. All of these MPG threads feature folks either whining like me about getting low 30s, or happy that they are getting 40. It makes me think that 50% of the bikes have something wrong with them, including mine. The range is dismal at 30MPG.

I'm playing with FI tunes and I'm going to swap on a 2 into 1 exhaust and get rid of the SAS. Fingers crossed for a MPG miracle.
Here is a link to HOW's section on SAS operation
http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf...daryAirControl

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #27
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post

I ride 63km to work and back everyday and track my mileage fairly consistently. Granted some days I ride a little faster than others but since I have riding the same stretch for 2.5 years now, I think that over time, it all evens out.

My best mileage ever was 5.1 l/100km (46mpg). That was a freak of nature, and I have never come close to that again.

Worst mileage was 7.0 l/100km (33.6 mpg). I was in a rush and chopped 15 minutes off my regular 40 minute commute one day. Good thing 80% of my commuting stretch still has no speed limit.

Long term average is 5.6l/100km (42.0mpg). This represents 100% commuting, no errands, no city traffic, no "short cuts" through the twisties on the way home.

I have had the slip-ons for about 3000km now and can't say I have noticed an improvement in mileage although I do find the throttle response smoother. I haven't done the 15 idle yet (I can't bring myself to subjecting the neighbors to 15 minutes of the, ahem, musical pipes.) but it is on my list of things to do. Will be curious if this has any effect.
My mileage is pretty much the same as above on long ADV type trips, A couple of long interstate highway days lot's of country and dirt roads and some off road. Stock "R" map all emissions equipment intact except for the FMF Q4 exhaust. I use my throttle lock almost every where, maybe that helps since I can keep a steady throttle and the light spring and large amount of slack in the throttle are unnoticeable. Even when riding where I am constantly up and down on throttle a little friction really smooths out my right hand.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #28
ElRod
4<2

Oddometer: 280
'08 990 A

Seems I've done everything possible to reduce my MPG and consistently get 28 - 30......
16 tooth sprocket
Wings w/ inserts removed
Gear position sensor bypassed
PC III - Zero map - 02 eliminators installed

Some notes on the PC III. It was my objective to be able to use the Power Commander and be able to run the Akra map for performance, then load the base or zero map for economy along with putting the 17 tooth sprocket back on and db killers back in the Wings. It hasn't quite worked out that way. None of the canned maps provided by the PC work out well for this setup which is why I'm running the zero map. Granted, I need to get the bike to a tuner for a custom map(s). I've spoken to a few in my area that say they can but they seem hesitant and don't leave me with a good feeling about it. Depending on dyno time they are saying upwards to $1,000. Before the PC I had the Akra map put on by the dealer for a while but had them put the stock map back on.

The bike runs GREAT with the above setup - no flat spots, surging, popping, etc. - a real smile maker but it seems I could have foregone the PC III and just used the O2 eliminators.

Near to 9K on the clock and time for another valve adjust. While it's apart I'll do the canisterectomy / SAS removal and see if I can't get it down to 25 MPG ;-)
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #29
GlobalTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRod View Post
Granted, I need to get the bike to a tuner for a custom map(s). I've spoken to a few in my area that say they can but they seem hesitant and don't leave me with a good feeling about it.
Same here mate, I spoke to a local Dyno shop and they didin't exude much confidence or knowledge when I mentioned KTM990 and TuneECU etal.
The last thing I want to do is end up paying someone to learn my bike's efi and get a half baked map solution!

RR - Two weeks Touring Scotland
GlobalTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
For you Texas guys try AF1 racing in the San Antonio area. They are a great Aprilia dealer and have done great custom tuning work.
Kenbike is offline   Reply With Quote