User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Ural "enrichners"

Got an 08 Ural. It coughs and pops and sputters when cold. Needs a good warm up, say 5-10 minutes before that goes away (mostly). I am going to shim the needles when I get around to it but I tried something yesterday.
I let it warm for say 2 minutes then rode away with the enrichners pulled open. It ran great. I only rode a minute or so with them on then pushe em in and the coughing came back...
Is riding with them open for a bit gonna wang up anything? I think the book say's use em to start then close them right away.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,400
Have you rejetted the carbs yet? It made a huge improvement in mine. It took me about 10 mins to change out the main and pilot jets. running with the enrichners pulled can fuel foul the sparkplugs.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Bite the bullit and re jet, you will never look back.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
msblu79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Rejet the carbs, Heindl, for example, has the jet kits and the stainless caphead screws to replace the phillips head crap. You can also replace the needles with the modified ones from Gossie in Holland or just shim the stock ones up.
msblu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,085
What they all said....
Old 04-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
redflasher
Baltika Lover

Oddometer: 150
rejet. a well tuned Ural hardly ever needs the enricheners.
redflasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,382
See if all your intake boots are secure at both ends, between the carb & intake part of the head.
Any sucking of air in this area can give the same problems.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Thanks gents
The bike is stock with cats in.
My plan is to re jet. Ive got the stainless carb up grade bolts coming (Along with some other goodies). I am going to shim when I get them.
I just wanted to know if Ill foul anything up by using the enrichners. No biggie as Ill just keep letting er warm up..
Old 04-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post
Thanks gents
The bike is stock with cats in.
My plan is to re jet. Ive got the stainless carb up grade bolts coming (Along with some other goodies). I am going to shim when I get them.
I just wanted to know if Ill foul anything up by using the enrichners. No biggie as Ill just keep letting er warm up..
If by foul, you mean the plugs, then yes, but no damage will be done.
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
GreatTarzan
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Same problem

I recently got a 2005 Ural 750 Patrol. It has the same kind of problem which was described by you (fyr).
I wonder, if what you did helped to eliminate coughing and popping?
GreatTarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
PetrB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
The coughs and pops, disappearing when you opened enrichmeners, suggests, more likely, that there are air leakage between carbs diffusers and heads. You should check the tightness of the entire air path from the filter to the head.
PetrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
rg, sw wa.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Everything that has already been said along with checking the "compliance fitting” for leaks/cracks, balance the carburetors, be careful torquing the head bolts before checking the valve clearance.
Suggest adding phenolic heat blocks between the cylinder head and compliance fitting flange.
You might also want to check out the Soviet Steeds web site.

http://sovietsteeds.com/
rg, sw wa. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Lots of good answers.

I have a 2006 Gear Up and was always frustrated with the long warm up.

Switched both idle and main jets to recommended large sizes after several years of living with the problem and viola, a beautiful running bike.

Little bit of enricher to start, but shut off shortly after, minimal popping and farting at idle, very short warmup time and definitely better top end.

Can't say it is more power (from a Ural, power is not a real word) but so much smoother and pleasant to drive, I kick myself for not doing it sooner.

My understanding is they are set up at the factory very lean for CARB and emission reasons but at the expense of driveability.

Absolute must do for every Ural owner.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I just brought home a 2008 Gear Up a few weeks ago and I'm having the exact same problem. I'm going to try adjusting the idle mix screws first to see if that solves the problem. If not, I'll look into doing the rejet.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
grisezd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I'm surprised the Ural dealer lets it go out the door without rejetting it first. Could be a nice profit center. When we bought an air-cooled Ducati the dealer offered a rejet, sprocket change, and slip-ons, as a package - actually strongly suggested it. When I declined he pushed the rejet and sprocket change, saying I could take it as is but I'd be back in a week. He was right, was the most unhappy running, badly geared (way too tall) motorbike I'd ever ridden. Now that I work in the vehicle testing industry I understand jetting for emissions and gearing for EPA noise requirements!
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote