Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,305
Tks for the RR...hope to make it there some day...short threadjack ..how did you like your Klim pants ?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #17
akadvntr
Frozen

Oddometer: 219
Thanks for writing! Hope to be in Death Valley in the next year.

2008 KLR650 sold 1-4-14
2012 VStrom DL1000
akadvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinnevada View Post
Thanks for the link to your ride report. I really enjoyed reading it and seeing the pictures. It brought back good memories! Zamboni says "Hi" to Marleau.
Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, it was a great time and great to meet up with your family. Marleau says "woof!" Sorry for the delay, the 3 of us just got back yesterday from our second annual trip to Moab. Weather was just as "interesting" as at Death Valley, and we had an amazing time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Tks for the RR...hope to make it there some day...short threadjack ..how did you like your Klim pants ?
They are great. I've never worn over-the-boot pants before, and for this kind of riding they seemed just the thing. It's nice having a couple pockets available to carry small items. They're just water-resistant enough to keep most of the water off when riding through light rain and puddles, and they have zippered vents along the legs (the Dakar pants are what I have) that do help make them comfortable over a wide range of temps. We rode in a range from 30 to 78°F just recently in Utah. Very well made. The only slight issue I have is they're a bit tight around the tops of my boots and occasionally snag so when I climb off the bike they're bunched up around my knees—but who cares about looking cool when you're OFF the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadvntr View Post
Thanks for writing! Hope to be in Death Valley in the next year.
Glad you (all!) read my report. It's a great place to ride, can't wait to get back there

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
, the 3 of us just got back yesterday from our second annual trip to Moab. Weather was just as "interesting" as at Death Valley, and we had an amazing time...
OK, so how long do we hafta wait for that report? Get crackin', mister!

You missed some wild hockey while you were gone

WoodsChick

Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #20
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Just sitting down with a cup of Moab Coffee Company's Anaconda blend and downloading both camera's photos...I'll pick something and post it up here in a few minutes

Oh, and yeah, go Sharks!!! On the way out we listened to the radio broadcast until Fernley, NV (picked up a local am radio station that was carrying it). Otherwise, it was score by score text messages from my daughter and phone browser game recaps.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #21
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

my own hijack...

Whew. No way to narrow it down to one photo and it took one more cup of Anaconda. Here's 5:

The highlight of the trip was the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park. It's a 105 mile loop that starts and ends in Island in the Sky—aptly named—about 1500 feet above the White Rim canyons that are formed by the Green and Colorado rivers. It is hours and hours and hours of rocks and sand, climbs and descents, amazing landscapes and the constant knowledge that your only way out is to finish the loop.

Some very deep sand, only suggested by this photo-

The sand was in several places very soft, very deep, sand-dune-like and it grabbed Julie a couple times. The get-offs managed to give her some deep-muscle contusions on both quadriceps. She had some pretty big knots on the tops of her legs and it made riding that much more difficult. She was determined to continue though and when we stopped for a lunch break at about 50 miles in, the realization that the only way out was either the monster we knew behind us, or the unknown monster ahead of us was sobering.

She endeavored to perservere, and determinedly pushed on.

The sun was beginning to drop behind the canyon walls as we finally approached what I knew was waiting for us—the climb at Shafer Canyon.

We charged that last bit, and returning to the truck 9 hours later gave us both a huge sense of accomplishment.

Yesterday as were reliving the last 2 weeks during our drive home, Julie said "I can't wait to go back next year and do it one more time!"

Old 05-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Thanks, HWD! Awesome preview! Can't wait for the full story

WoodsChick

Old 05-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #23
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper