Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #46
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,169
Thanks for bumping this thread back to the top(in a BIG WAY)

Col Cannonshot, I am in your debt (Again)

I have been looking for the ship my Father was on in WW2. This morning, armed with LST, I found the very ship and this wonderful website dedicated to LST 327!!! My Dad was a pharmisists mate on the 327. There is a photo of him there with his mates. http://www.landingship.com/327/history.htm
Fighting back the tears as I read account after account of their bravery in Anzio, Normandy, and north Africa.
Sir... these are stories my Father could not tell. He was aboard when the ship was struck by a torpedo that exploded ordnance in the hold. He lost 22 mates that day.
Thank you for helping me find this site... I have always been proud of my Father's service, but now I have concrete reasons for that. I can't wait to scan some photos he left me and share those with the others in the 327 site.

That is my Dad center kneeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Since we couldn't get out onto the trails at Interlake due to the steady rain, we spent some time in nearby Evansville relaxing a bit and looking around.

We visited the LST 325 Memorial on the Ohio river in town.

During WWII they built these ships in the local area. I think they turned one out about every five days.

I think a local bridge building company converted over to ship production. Due to labor shortages, much of the shipbuilding crew were women. Lots of nice welds on these ships.

This particular ship was involved in the D-Day invasion and sortied back and forth hauling stuff to the beach head from England.

This is a spare prop. The ship has two. I was surprised how small they seemed.

But it makes sense when you consider these flat bottom ships sometimes need to rest on the bottom or operate in shallow water.

These ships could haul about 20 tanks in the cargo area. They also filled the deck with other vehicles. This jeep, used in the movie M.A.S.H., is resting on an elevator that leads to the main deck below.

Lots of tie downs on the top deck. Having a flat bottom hull, this ship didn't ride too good on the open sea.

This degaussing cable ran around the inside of the hull of the ship. Magnetic mines were a concern. The cable was able to produce a significant magnetic field to offset magnetism produced in the hull.

Tank crews would pack into these small compartments along the sides of the ship. Only 1/3 could lie down at a time.

The front door where tanks and vehicles could drive out onto the shore.

Repaired hole from an air attack.

Spare 40mm barrels still wrapped and coated in cosmoline from the day the ship was initially outfitted.

This ship still sails around. It was work week and there were a lot of volunteers aboard doing maintenance and making improvements. This summer the ship will sail to several cities for fundraising tours.

The ship wasn't really open for tours when we visited. Here are some cooks in the galley preparing meals for the volunteer workers.

The ship was equipped with 20mm and 40mm anti-aircraft weapons.

Radio room.

Some veterans wanted an LST memorial ship. They found one the Greek navy was willing to part with. Volunteers went to Greece and sailed the ship back to the US. The average age of that volunteer crew of veterans was 72.

A worthwhile visit whether you get rained out of riding for a day or not.

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 10:01 AM
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #47
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffchick View Post
First a big shout out to Cannon on his ride reports! We planned a ride in Missouri and after the weather took a dump there we found Redbird on riderplanet and then read Cannon's report which sealed the deal. Stuckinarut, Zigman and I had a blast! I added a few more pictures, none of these do justice to the steepness of fun of this place!
I'm glad you guys found the report useful as that was the intent. Feel free to add more pictures and comments that might benefit others who may give the place a try. There is a lot of good stuff there I didn't get a chance to try yet. So happy to hear you guys had so much fun! Nice place to ride for sure.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #48
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Thanks for bumping this thread back to the top(in a BIG WAY)

Col Cannonshot, I am in your debt (Again)

I have been looking for the ship my Father was on in WW2. This morning, armed with LST, I found the very ship and this wonderful website dedicated to LST 327!!! My Dad was a pharmisists mate on the 327. There is a photo of him there with his mates. http://www.landingship.com/327/history.htm
Fighting back the tears as I read account after account of their bravery in Anzio, Normandy, and north Africa.
Sir... these are stories my Father could not tell. He was aboard when the ship was struck by a torpedo that exploded ordnance in the hold. He lost 22 mates that day.
Thank you for helping me find this site... I have always been proud of my Father's service, but now I have concrete reasons for that. I can't wait to scan some photos he left me and share those with the others in the 327 site.

That is my Dad center kneeling.

I'm glad that little diversion in this ride report led to a connection for you! What a great treasure to find the information you did. I would be very proud myself. Maybe you'll get a chance to give that vessel a look sometime yourself. I'm sure it would be a very rewarding experience.