ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,712
Tried my bike again today... The trickle charger indicated "green" which means charged and maintaining the battery...

Removed charger and put voltmeter on bike... 12.9 looks good.

Put key in and tried to start bike, CLICK dead. Voltmeter: 9.5

Tried again, click dead... Voltmeter: 4.5

dead battery for sure , not sure about alternator... hopefully OK

I didn't try another battery from another bike to see if my alternator is working, too tired from all the yard work today, maybe tomorrow.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #17
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
I keep it on a battery tender junior almost all the time in my garage, notice it gets weaqk after just a few days off
This was your first sign of a battery that is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
I have almost drained the battery a couple times but charged to full after, this was months ago.
Drained battery = problem battery.

A battery that is drained (below 50%) has its remaining life cut in half. That is where your problem most likely started.

It is your battery and not the alternator. I only had an alternator fail on the GL1800 - but at that point it had >160K miles on it. In the same time I went through several batteries.

Reiner
__________________
----------------------------------------
'09 R1200GSA
'09 F800GS
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #18
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,712
Just ordered an Odyssey PC535

I couldn't wait for the Shorai... back ordered for at least another month!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GeckoRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Just ordered an Odyssey PC535

I couldn't wait for the Shorai... back ordered for at least another month!
I am in the same boat. Looking at the Ballistic 12 cell Evo 2. Any word on them?

http://www.advmachines.com/product_p...101-005%29.htm

Otherwise I'll be looking at the Odyssey too. BTW where you source your Odyssey?
__________________
F800GS Mag/Black 2009 "Faucon GriS"
Farkles; Garmin GPSMap478 in a TT cradle, Airhawk seatpad, Pivot Pegs, SW-motech bars, MOD skid plate, Altrider headlight guard, HDB handguards, Maier Mudguard.
GeckoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider View Post
I am in the same boat. Looking at the Ballistic 12 cell Evo 2. Any word on them?

http://www.advmachines.com/product_p...101-005%29.htm

Otherwise I'll be looking at the Odyssey too. BTW where you source your Odyssey?

Don't know anything about those Ballistic batteries...

Got my Odyssey from "kNOw Where 2Jeep" (strange name)... $118 shipped

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/odysse..._store=default
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
I just called Shorai, they told me May 4th is the day the shipment is coming in and all orders will be filled shortly afterwards...

Not that it will help you now though.
Yeah I figured as much... I know the Odyssey will be reliable even if it is a little heavier. I need to shave some weight off myself before I go spending money to lighten the bike

That being said I may have a lightly used Odyssey battery for cheap once the Shorais come out
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,712
Alright guys... update here, need some help.

I installed my new battery, install went smoothly and battery is awesome.

I put the voltmeter on the battery right after install and ran the bike. It read 12.4 at idle and up to 12.7 when I reved the engine, not sure if this is normal so I went with it.

The bike ran for the first day and for most of today. The last time I started it up it didn't want to crank and acted like the battery was dead... I reset the key and tried again... Didn't want to do it but I held it for a few seconds and it barely came alive.

I made it back to my house and put the voltmeter on and it read 11.4 on the battery, didn't try it with the bike on. I have the battery on the charger and it has been charging for the last 30 minutes without going into trickle so the battery was run low

EnderTheX screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 02:23 PM
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #23
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Alright guys... update here, need some help.

I installed my new battery, install went smoothly and battery is awesome.

I put the voltmeter on the battery right after install and ran the bike. It read 12.4 at idle and up to 12.7 when I reved the engine, not sure if this is normal so I went with it.

The bike ran for the first day and for most of today. The last time I started it up it didn't want to crank and acted like the battery was dead... I reset the key and tried again... Didn't want to do it but I held it for a few seconds and it barely came alive.

I made it back to my house and put the voltmeter on and it read 11.4 on the battery, didn't try it with the bike on. I have the battery on the charger and it has been charging for the last 30 minutes without going into trickle so the battery was run low
I just replied to the your other thread....... This is not normal......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014