Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
stephano OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Lc4 Hp

I just saw this graph http://www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=109
and...well...I guess I dont understand. What I mean by this is that its showing the LC4 640 making only about 33 hp. Now I'm not saying I think the LC4 is most powerful engine out there but I've ridden lots of other fast bikes and the LC4 is no slouch. The real stumper for me is I have a friend with a KLR and I remember reading that the KLR 650 engine makes about 30-35 hp but his bike doesn't even come close to the power my LC4 puts out. Really if the LC4 puts out only 33 hp then the KLR feels like it should be putting out around 20 hp. No slam on any KLR owner either but merely casting an opinion and I'm not trying to turn this into some heated debate.

A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have.
Your Government cannot give you something without taking something away from someone else.

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul. - Tobymac.
stephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,842
If you read the list of their "mod's", one of them is a slide stop removal. The Euro bikes got a cock, er uh, throttle block job to keep the HP down.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by from_moto-lab
closely fitted valve guides, valve job, valve springs upgraded & shimmed, mild port clean up, compression reduced, piston lightened & surface area reduced, wrist pin lightened, specially fitted rings, adapted Remus "Freeride" two-muffler exhaust system, inside of exhaust system ported, airbox lid & snorkel removed, slide stop modified, emulsion tube modified, custom needle and tuning (at 100% open throttle)
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
stephano OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
If you read the list of their "mod's", one of them is a slide stop removal. The Euro bikes got a cock, er uh, throttle block job to keep the HP down.

EDIT:
I didn't know euros had removable cocks either. Dont let any American women know about that handy feature.

Seriously, thanks for pointing out that detail. Makes sense now.

A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have.
Your Government cannot give you something without taking something away from someone else.

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul. - Tobymac.
stephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112267

I'd just like to point out that not all of the Euro bikes have this restriction fitted. It is a option offered by the factory for novice riders whose license allows them to ride max. 25kW(=33hp) bikes. As stated in the linked post, this license restriction and the power restriction can later be removed, once your license allows for it (usually two years).

My LC4 made 48rwhp in a recent dyno test...

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
And some models are with limited output for emission reasons...
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
just for ranging, the LC4's probably top out around 72HP - rear wheel horsepower...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=17
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
just for ranging, the LC4's probably top out around 72HP - rear wheel horsepower...

Uh, oh. Cue the Red Army.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
Uh, oh. Cue the Red Army.
Do the XRs go a bit higher? And if they do show up, hopefully they can claim the reliability of the LC4 at these tuning altitudes... blah, blah, blah (feelin' like a dog chasin' his own tail )
Old 09-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #9
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

That sounds really high to me. Then again, US dynos -especially Dynojet- always read higher than the ones we get over here.

I'll have to try to dyno the 690RR before we sell it, would be interesting to see the comparison to the old LC4.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
That sounds really high to me. Then again, US dynos -especially Dynojet- always read higher than the ones we get over here.

I'll have to try to dyno the 690RR before we sell it, would be interesting to see the comparison to the old LC4.
Those numbers are not from any old LC4s... they are from (the link):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lemlin
We had 4 or 5 of the factory replica 660 supermoto race bikes and they were all at or about 72 rear wheel HP... the most amazing part was that none were more than 1hp from the others.... oh, and that was on pump gas... go figure, they were over $20K new
Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW
San Francisco's Only Authorized Dynojet Power commander Tuning Center.

Scuderia is home to a state of the art Dyno room,
complete with a Dynojet Model 250 Dynamometer.

Come in and get you bike tuned to perfection.

The MODEL 250 Load Control Dynamometer is perfect for engine break-in, durability testing, and fuel injection mapping.

The Dynojet Load Control System was developed through years of experience with over 1800 dynamometer installations worldwide. The design is easy to operate and provides the function of steady-state load control.
Dynojet's Load Control System uses the latest in eddy current power absorption technology, which combines with our easy-to-use software to give any technician repeatable, consistent results. The Load Control software provides a technician with the ability to control vehicle RPM or speed at any throttle opening. Through our exclusive closed-loop software design, the vehicle is automatically held at the pre determined setting.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Yeah, I read his post.

A friend of mine had a Replica, bought it used for 6k. They were not even that rare over here, fairly popular for supermoto racing before KTM came out with the SMR. I got to ride it on the go-kart track a few times and it was definitely fast, don't get me wrong! It was still an old LC4 (stroker) though, I think with parts similar to the 660 Rally.

Dynojet, eh....
Old 04-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephano View Post
I didn't know euros had removable cocks either. Dont let any American women know about that handy feature.

Seriously, thanks for pointing out that detail. Makes sense now.
The bike in question did not have the stop in place that some European bikes have. If you push a US carburetor's slide to the stop, it's ~1mm or so shy of being all the way open. We modified that so it would be all the way open.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote