User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 343
R60/6 ?

I have been told the ware abouts of one of these its a 1977 and as been stored a wile in a tyre fitting bay in the west midlands.
Looks to have 40bhp officially, how will it compare to my R45 in on road performance. I rang the bloke up today , he assures me it will run but has a flat battery and has not been run for four years.
None of this scares me i got the R45 in worse circumstances
The seller seemed adamant he wanted 500 pounds for the bike and was firm he would not take a penny less.
We went on to say it was worth this money which of course he would i suppose

You british BMW fans is 500 pounds a reasonable price to pay for such a project, and anything i need to be instantly aware of about this specific model ? And of course any other info you have please.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 692
If it is a complete bike that is not too bad now, a few years ago it would have been a bit much.
Performance will be similar to your R45 but less revvy engine and possibly slower acceleration and a more old fashioned feel. Perfectly capable bike if you are not in a hurry, I have two friends who have ridden around the world on them.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
rambozo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
I would be all over any airhead for 500 pound these days. 40 brake sounds a bit
optimistic though
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 887
Go, go, go! Of the airheads I've owned the '74 R60/6 was the most relaxed one. There is something zen about them that goes beyond the relaxedness of other airheads. I think it's the heavy flywheel, gearing and 'little' hp (dtill more than enough fot some good fun!)

Workshop credo: if it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
deafanddiabetic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I loved my R60/6 except for having a front dual leading shoe drum brake.

It will not have the stopping power of your R45, but there really is something charming about the R60. I found it handled well, was very sluggish on acceleration but purred at 3k-5k. I can't remember the exchange rate between pounds and USD, I think it's 2.2ish?

I paid $1600 for a complete running R60/6 with all documentation, manuals, Vetter fairing, matching hard lockable saddle bags and a box of extras.

They're a less desirable model of the /6 comparably to the R75 and especially the R90, but they're still a fun airhead.
deafanddiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
190e
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
If your were to compare all out acceleration I think they post the same 0-60 time of 7.9 secs but in practice I bet the the R60 would hold on to high cruising speeds much better. It may only have 5 HP extra but they are at lower revs and it has 25 % more torque again at lower revs.

If it's all there including expensive things like the instruments for £500 I think it's a steal.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
If it's complete, that's a good price. They are a bit of a dog if you are expecting performance, but a very sweet and smooth running motor, great for around town and low-speed highway use.

Best thing you can do is to lighten the flywheel to wake up the ponies, and wear earplugs when you ride.....rev the snot out of that motor!
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,577
I bought a used one when I was a junior in high school, My dad made me buy it, my first BMW, still have it 26 years later, I'll never sell it, and it gets to go on a trip every few years. It's been from Maine to Florida and has never missed a beat. It's gone from touring mode, to café mode, to bone stock mode more than once, thankfully , I've never done anything to it that can't be undone in an afternoon. Still has shiny original paint! Now I want to go to the garage and work on it!! hmmm, might just have to get away on it this summer!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Thanks for the replies i am on it.
I will get down and see it next weekend working this weekend, but gives me time to give notice borrow the works van to pick it up in.
You got me all exited now ANOTHER TOY TO PLAY WITH.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #10
photorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I love mine! So simple, so much fun. It's true what they say, it's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike.
I brought mine back from the brink, too. Will never sell it either. Great non-intimidating bike to lend to visiting friends too!
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
tlub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Very sweet

My brother had one, which came to me when he died and I restored it for my son. I had never ridden it when my brother had it and my preconception was that it would be kind of doggy. After I restored it and rode it I was fairly impressed with it. (I also have an R75/5 and R90/6, BTW) It doesn't have a lot of power, but I can run all day at 80mph with no worries. And no vibration. That thing is like a little turbine. If I was going solo across the US I might pick it over the R90/6, just because it is so smooth. It won't pull your wrists out of joint, but with the final drive it has (9/32, 3.56) it makes the most of what power it has. I should also say that my brother and his girlfriend went from Madison WI to Yellowstone and back, with a WIndjammer fairing and lots of luggage, and had a good time. He also rode it solo to Alaska and back before they completely paved the AlCan (1983). So it can go anywhere. At 500 quid I'd pick it up right now. And don't worry about the front brake. Properly set up, it can howl the front tire. I usually only use 2 fingers on it or on my R75/5 with the same brake. Be sure the shoes are adjusted right and the cable is in perfect shape.
Good find. Can I ride it next time I'm across the pond? My in laws are in Surrey.
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:45 AM   #12
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

They sound a nice torquey little bike i cant wait.

tlub contact me by all means when you are over and if you are up this way i am sure we can sort something out.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:59 AM   #13
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,204
£500 sounds like a bit of a bargain twinshock airheads seem to be becoming much more difficult to find as they are getting snapped up by people wanting to turn them into Cafes etc etc.

The 600s can have a well documented problem with pinging, but there are various work arounds. Consider joining the UK BMW owners club, we have all the tools needed for your bike available to hire for very little money and there is a Vintage and classic section to look after older bikes. Other advantages include insurance and tyre discounts that for me cover the cost of membership.

http://www.thebmwclub.org.uk/membership.asp
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #14
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

ChasBMW i will look at joining the owners club sounds practical at this time after all it looks like i am set now on having more of them , i never thought i would get to owning a BMW voluntarily But here we are after such a short time of having a R45 positively hunting for them. Must have caught BMW plague Im happy to be afflicted.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #15
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,204
This is another link to the tools held by the UK BMW club tool hire scheme, there is a separate spreadsheet for pre /5 bikes

http://forum.bmw-club.org.uk/download.php?id=7046
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote