User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
silverhead OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Leather accessory ideas?

I'm bored, it's winter here. Do any of you have photos of interesting leather projects related to the bikes?

Sine my bike has rub marks from the king/queen seat down at the base of my fuel tank I was thinking of making a leather tank strap to hide it as well as incorporate a little leather bag.. Something like this

Anyone have any other simple project ideas like small saddle bags or leather accessories? I will probably create a tool roll to hold the 7, 8, 9, and 10mm wrenches I require to make adjustments to the choke and throttle cables as well as some other tools like a spark plug wrench, screwdriver, etc..

I took this photo last year at a show

I'm not sure if I want to go that far since I like the way most of my tank looks and I don't want to scratch the paint up under the strap.

silverhead screwed with this post 11-21-2014 at 02:47 PM
silverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,334
I made some tank bags and a fork bag out of 5 oz lace leather. You can get scrap leather for shoe laces pretty cheap on eBay. I think I've got $40 in this.

I put 2 tubes on a piece of leather and made the fork bag to fit. I keep rain pants and jacket in the side bags.

I used a piece of Lexan to make a map case on top. I ended up having to make a little box on the inside to keep the bag from collapsing.

Grips out 3 oz. I got some leather samples for cheap.

Another little project that goes well with leather is a branding iron. They're easy and cheap to make and you can use them over and over.

I made a tool roll and a pouch for my sockets. I'm about to toss the pouch. Whenever I'm actually using the tools the pouch gets in the way. I'll make another roll for the sockets and give the pouch to somebody that doesn't carry as many tools. You can see the leather for the next roll under the sockets.

I'm also making a little pouch for a small set of jumper cables I keep in the false bottom of my left Jesse. Leather's so easy to sew and the projects always looks good even if you do a bad job. Leather simply looks great and gets better with age--nobody can take credit for good-looking leather goods more than the cow.

I've got a stack of little leather pieces that I've branded. If you want one drop me a PM and I'll send some over. And, of course, you owe us pics if you make something cool

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 11-21-2014 at 04:45 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,334
I'm going back and adding rivets in the corners of the things I've made. The threads haven't come undone in the years since I made all that, I put a knot on each stitch so it can't unravel, but it seems like cheap fortification and they look nice. Rivets, eyelets, snap closures, etc. are all cheap and probably in your local hardware store. Tandy is THE name in leather and they have everything. Don't buy your leather from them though--they charge a fortune.

You can darken the leather with oil but you can't lighten it. I soaked that tool pouch years ago and it's still dark. If you want to keep that light brown look then don't do more than wipe a coat of goo on it. As far as goo goes, the best is probably prime neatsfoot oil. Neatsfoot oil is natural oil from the marrow of cows. Prime means it's had silicon added.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 11-21-2014 at 04:47 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
CafeDude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Cool thread! I don't have any ideas, but love to see what's out there. I dig the tank strap with the small tool pouch. Very useful, I'm sure.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
mozzer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
i saw this before, and really liked it. one day, i want to copy it.
mozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,412
Show us a picture of your bike!

We're bored too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
I'm bored, it's winter here. Do any of you have photos of interesting leather projects related to the bikes?

Sine my bike has rub marks from the king/queen seat down at the base of my fuel tank I was thinking of making a leather tank strap to hide it as well as incorporate a little leather bag.. Something like this

Anyone have any other simple project ideas like small saddle bags or leather accessories? I will probably create a tool roll to hold the 7, 8, 9, and 10mm wrenches I require to make adjustments to the choke and throttle cables as well as some other tools like a spark plug wrench, screwdriver, etc..

I took this photo last year at a show

I'm not sure if I want to go that far since I like the way most of my tank looks and I don't want to scratch the paint up under the strap.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,746
My V7R has the leather strap on the tank and while not functional at all, I think it looks good and retro.

Marc
Old 11-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,027
Hnnnng, I love this thread!
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,412

Lined with felt and has protected what's left of the paint.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Leather looks nice but is it really a very good choice? Holds water. Doesn't seal.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,297
I'd like a couple of leather belts to wrap around the panniers. I currently use cheap cloth belts with snap together plastic connections. I've had one come apart and wrap around the final drive.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #12
Dkizerian
Honky Lips

Oddometer: 149

Dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #13
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,252
"Fur / roadkill" can be a nice, viable option too:

This guy didn't have to pack any coat hangers with him I bet.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #14
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,024
Assless Chaps. Makes me smile every time I say it.

If you could figure out how to make a denfield style solo seat and mount for a variety of airheads you could make some money and never be bored again.

I also like having leather belts keeping my system cases from opening accidentally. Easy to make, useful, and attractive.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #15
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,063
The leather box from the back of the GS

Leather tool rolls both replacement BMW rolls and the ones that could be strapped to racks.