User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
wbihsnp OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
1977 R100RS Project

Hi all, I have been presented with the opportunity to purchase a 1977 R100RS "project" bike. Fairing is poss. unusable/incomplete, bike is in general state of "neglect" but appears restorable. Motor has 61k on it, bike does not run, there are no keys. If I were to purchase a 1982 Fairing, would that immediately make this a Frankenbeemer with not much value if in fact fully restored? Should I slap it together, get it running and then see if it's worthy of a true restore, or would you restore it properly right off the bat? I'm not necessarily interested in a stock restore, I am interested in having a functional, classic beautiful R100RS. What would you do? I have a total budget of about 8k, 2k being for the bike as is, 1.5k for Heinrich tank.
wbihsnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbihsnp View Post
Hi all, I have been presented with the opportunity to purchase a 1977 R100RS "project" bike. Fairing is poss. unusable/incomplete, bike is in general state of "neglect" but appears restorable. Motor has 61k on it, bike does not run, there are no keys. If I were to purchase a 1982 Fairing, would that immediately make this a Frankenbeemer with not much value if in fact fully restored? Should I slap it together, get it running and then see if it's worthy of a true restore, or would you restore it properly right off the bat? I'm not necessarily interested in a stock restore, I am interested in having a functional, classic beautiful R100RS. What would you do? I have a total budget of about 8k, 2k being for the bike as is, 1.5k for Heinrich tank.

I think you answered your own question here, if you don't want to do a full on resto.

And there's no difference between fairings on the RS models, with some tiny exceptions (center grill etc) but they will all fit and are interchangeable.

Sounds like that's the last part (fairing) you'd have to worry about right now.

Good luck,
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
wbihsnp OP
n00b

Thanks!

Thank you Zodiac. And you are correct, i did sort of answer my own question. I was hoping to get some "What would you do?" input, in hopes it would uncover something I had not thought of. The main appeal to me is being able to say - "i built that" and thereby really getting to know the bike. I have not owned an Airhead, but for some reason I am wanting this R100RS like no other bike before.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Darryl's bmw
Darby

Oddometer: 127
For the record, the 1977 RS has a different faring lens and rubber tunnel.
Darryl's bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
wbihsnp OP
n00b

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl's bmw View Post
For the record, the 1977 RS has a different faring lens and rubber tunnel.

So, what does that mean? I would be getting a complete 1982 RS100RS fairing which has the add'l cutout for an oilcooler. As longs as the headlight etc comes with it, it should be "ok", correct? Not necessarily looking to make the bike 100% correct
Old 10-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Darryl's bmw
Darby

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
So, what does that mean? I would be getting a complete 1982 RS100RS fairing which has the add'l cutout for an oilcooler. As longs as the headlight etc comes with it, it should be "ok", correct? Not necessarily looking to make the bike 100% correct
If you get a 1982 fairing with the lens and rubber tunnel, they should match.

I am not talking about the headlight.
Darryl's bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
CafeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Hmmm, what would I do? I'd customize and build it to my liking. Heinrich tank? I LOVE IT! Had one on my '79 R100RS. '77's are sought after, to an extent. The spoke wheels with the blue striping and blue calipers are endearing to the serious collectors. They aren't fetching huge dollars (yet), maybe some day. But I'd still customize it to my liking if it were mine. Life is short, enjoy it, YOUR way.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
*** The main appeal to me is being able to say - "i built that" and thereby really getting to know the bike. ***
It is indeed a satisfying feeling, but for me sometimes sounds more like "holy shit I can't believe I put a wrench to that and it still runs!"

What would I try to do with some mismatched '77 RS parts? Something like this -

Or these are nice too -

Sweet dreams!

Bob
Old 10-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
headtube
6 months of winter!

Oddometer: 234
Firstly, I'd consider the asking price. A non running bike with some serious neglect may not be worth the 2K you plan to spend. A little history and pics for all to see would help determine its value. That being said, it could be as simple as a new battery, coils, or rebuilt carbs to get you mobile.

However, if you see fit spending that amount your primary focus might be to get it running before you spend a bundle on peripherals like fairing bits. These bits can often be had down the road in online sale formats like ebay, craigslist, etc... if it were me, I'd get it running first.
headtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,075
They are sought after. I'd get it up & running & aim towards a tidy running bike, pending time & $$ to do a better job.

If you chop it up, then you can't easily go back. You may regret that in a few years

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,938
The 77RS is a desirable model, as already stated. There were some changes made to the fairing over the years, but only matter in the case of period correct. They all interchange. You would get marked down, possibly, in a judging with newer date stamps if the judge checked them out.

I also agree that $2K might be a bit high for a non running bike. You're taking a chance. Depending on condition $1K to $1500 might be more like it.

This is a bike that shouldn't be customized or cafe'd. The value is going up, and actually was much higher before the recession when a nice original or restored example was worth $12K. Is it a CFO (38mm exh) or 40mm bike?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
Beemeup
1978 R100/7

Oddometer: 107
I would only pay for what I thought I could part it out for, just in case. As far as a classic restoration or not stock that's an opinion only you can answer.
Beemeup is offline   Reply With Quote