Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #511
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post
Looks like a Wassel Trials seat just like the one I bought last year. I guess I should put it up in the flea market because it won't fit the bike I bought it for.
Yeah That's the seat for me too! EXACTLY what I've been after.
THANKS!

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #512
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
It does look great ... but how the !#@$!% are you supposed to get the dipstick out, and put in the oil?
New style AGM engine?

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #513
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
It does look great ... but how the !#@$!% are you supposed to get the dipstick out, and put in the oil?
I glad to see someone else pointing out what is obvious to me about a lot of these 'scramblers'. They don't work. How can something look cool that doesn't work? I thought that is what choppers are for? 'Cafe' bikes that are lowered? 'Scrambler's' with monster truck front tires? A bunch of stuff that doesn't work for a 'look'. I don't get it but when I see a bike the first thing that pops into my mind is riding the damn thing, NOT looking at it. Therein lies the difference of opinion about a lot of these bikes I suspect.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #514
Beater
Breakin' Somethin'

Oddometer: 2,738
I agree to a point. Your argument is my EXACT argument about bobbers and choppers. To me (and many 'engineering' type mindsets) my desire is all function over form. Most of your 'bike night' contengent loves the look, or the form over function. I can see it both ways ... and you know it takes all kinds. To your point, some like to stare at the art work ... and some like to make it go. To each their own.

I do love most of the bikes here in this thread, though. The scrambler is perhaps the best adaptation of the 'all purpose' motorcycle. Good at everything, great at nothing, and mostly function over form. But with every art form, some take it to far ... and that line is different for everyone. The bike we are commenting on .. looks cool. REALLY COOL. However, just the one errant exhaust pipe, and to those of us who worry about checking the oil in the middle of no-where lonely highway ... that little detail is a killer.

Either way, I won't disparage an entire genre of bikes due to the one (IMO) bad apple ... call it lesson learned and drive on. In the big scheme of things, perhaps I'm learning more about myself than the bike in question ....

PS - What's the new AGM style engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I glad to see someone else pointing out what is obvious to me about a lot of these 'scramblers'. They don't work. How can something look cool that doesn't work? I thought that is what choppers are for? 'Cafe' bikes that are lowered? 'Scrambler's' with monster truck front tires? A bunch of stuff that doesn't work for a 'look'. I don't get it but when I see a bike the first thing that pops into my mind is riding the damn thing, NOT looking at it. Therein lies the difference of opinion about a lot of these bikes I suspect.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #515
supershaft
because I can

I wouldn't disparage an entire genre of bike for one bad apple either. I see it being just the opposite. Surely there is one good apple in a bunch of bad ones. I think most all of them are good at nothing and great to look at if you are of that type. I was in love with scramblers back in my real young days. Any number of 'enduro' bikes as they were known back then. I use to look at them in awe until the first grade or so and I had some riding experience. That's when it sunk in that their tires sucked, their fenders sucked, they had no power, they weighed a ton, and on and on. Out of the showroom and at the track or in the woods, OR on the street, they were a joke but they were pretty to look at until actually riding them came into my opinion of them.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #516
Beater
Breakin' Somethin'

Quote:
I see it being just the opposite. Surely there is one good apple in a bunch of bad ones.
I like that perspective.

Quote:
I was in love with scramblers back in my real young days. Any number of 'enduro' bikes as they were known back then. I use to look at them in awe until the first grade or so and I had some riding experience. That's when it sunk in that their tires sucked, their fenders sucked, they had no power, they weighed a ton, and on and on. Out of the showroom and at the track or in the woods, OR on the street, they were a joke but they were pretty to look at until actually riding them came into my opinion of them.
I will keep my ignorance then ... I grew up on a YZ80. No power, pretty light (but heavy to me at the time, as I was about 5'3" and 100lb soaking wet).

Let's face it .. we don't have BMW's for the power, the fenders, the weight, etc .. I have mine 'cause it's fun and I can fix it. Really there is no other reason. I know I'm not going to win races, but I don't care either. Yep, there are much better modern bikes out there. But this one is mine ... and I can fix it with some string, a hammer, a beer can, WD40, some wire I found on the side of the road, and a 10 and 13mm wrench.

Anyway, enough of my diatribe ... back to the pics.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #517
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzitaco View Post
another from Krautmotors...

Wow! This bike is amazing!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #518
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,753
I don't know what the shit you guys are talking about. I love riding my r90 on the street and it's more than capable on the dirt roads and creek crossings I do. Sure, other bikes can do it better...but I don't really want a huge GS or awkward and cheap looking KLR.
I like cruising 80 on the interstate then crossing a creek the next minute. Learn to ride and those "not great at anythings" become juuuust fine.
That's my 2 cents.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #519
supershaft
because I can

YZ80 with no power? Never re-ring it? Something wasn't right.

But I do ride my BMW's exactly for their fenders and weight. Some of the best street fenders out there and way lighter than most bikes in their class. Power? They have enough if you breath on them. Of course there are better new bikes out there but that is beside the point IMO. You can turn the best and newest bike out there into something just about as lively as your typical airhead after a few fixes with string, a hammer, some wire and a beer can! Jerry rigged is jerry rigged.

Blaine, I have ridden all my beemers at well over 80mph down the highway and then blasted down many a gravel and dirt road and crossed some creeks. I never needed to scramblerize them in order to do that. I never needed to raise the exhaust so it burns my legs or gets in my way either riding them or working on them. I never needed to put tires on them that don't work well in the mud for not being knobbies and don't work well on the street for not being street tires. I have ridden my completely street bikerized airheads with street tires and euro style bars on GS rides and left all thirty or so of them behind. To a certain very low degree, the only thing that cramped my style other than riding a street bike in the dirt (which is one HUGE cramp!) was having to remain seated after creek crossings until my rubber pegs dried off or my MX boots would slip off them.

Oopps! I forgot one scrambler mod I do to my bikes before a dirt romp. It's a scrambler mod AFAIAC although I don't notice very many others doing it: I take my lift handle off my subframe. They bruise the crap out of my leg if I leave them there when I am standing and leaning back on the pegs a lot. No worse than MANY an exhaust pipe I have seen here in this thread I am sure but . . . . At least the grab handle doesn't bruise you AND cook you at the same time!

supershaft screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 09:08 PM
Old 08-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #520
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
I don't know what the shit you guys are talking about. I love riding my r90 on the street and it's more than capable on the dirt roads and creek crossings I do. Sure, other bikes can do it better...but I don't really want a huge GS or awkward and cheap looking KLR.
I like cruising 80 on the interstate then crossing a creek the next minute. Learn to ride and those "not great at anythings" become juuuust fine.
That's my 2 cents.
A very valuable 2 cents.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #521
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
That's my 2 cents.
Truer Words Were Never Spoken.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 08-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #522
Beater
Breakin' Somethin'

Blaine - +1. Call it my own ignorance ... but these BMW's are the only real bikes I've ever known. And I love it. They seem capable to me and are quite fun .... And that's the point, right?

Beater screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 11:22 AM
Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #523
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
I take my lift handle off my subframe.
Wuh? Lift handle...? Seriously?
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #524
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Wuh? Lift handle...? Seriously?
Yep. The one on my /5 used to dig into the back of my knee when I was standing riding uphill.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #525
supershaft
because I can

Seriously? Yup. Seriously. Do you ride standing on the pegs bowl legged? Otherwise I don't see how that grab handle is not going to get into your leg big time. It bruises my leg BADLY in between my MX boot and my knee if I leave it on. I don't see it being a problem while you are standing up putting through a rally or posing for a photo standing up on the pegs on that 'ruff' perfectly smooth pea gravel road. Nevertheless, if you lean back a bit while standing. Say while dropping into a ditch or motoring through some actual ruff, not your typical super smooth photo op, and you need to lean back a bit while standing up. THAT will get your leg into that lift handle big time. IF you don't ride bowl legged.