Originally Posted by knary View Post
I hate you.

Thanks!!!!
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #812
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,204

I just completed and this is it at local Mad Max Ride, so MFP "Main Force Patrol" is on only for the ride. I'll get better pics later
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:46 AM   #813
motog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel77 View Post
Hey, no issues rubbing the swingarm. Not sure if they would interfere with stock front fender though? Anyway, they're cheapie Shinko 241's, 4,00x18". They work surprisingly well (in dry and wet!) and are not loud or buzzy. Pretty good deal :)
and the dimensions on the front? Did you go for the 3.50 - 19?
motog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #814
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Have you gotten to ride it around yet?
OH YES!!!!

It's pretty interesting. It feels really light and small now which is weird because it's actually taller and longer. It's totally different then my modded R100R. It actually reminds me of old Honda CL350 scrambler I used to ride.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #815
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
OH YES!!!!

It's pretty interesting. It feels really light and small now which is weird because it's actually taller and longer. It's totally different then my modded R100R. It actually reminds me of old Honda CL350 scrambler I used to ride.

Very similar to my GSified R80RT ... It's much lighter, very agile, taller, and very torquey. Give it gas and the thing feels like it will get away from you quick.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #816
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Very similar to my GSified R80RT ... It's much lighter, very agile, taller, and very torquey. Give it gas and the thing feels like it will get away from you quick.
You got it. I was expecting it to ride a lot like my R100R which feels very stable and big, but the bike does feel agile and light like it's much smaller bike.

It's funny but for me I have to learn each bike as I ride them and in this case I had two sets of essentially bike muscle memory competing with each other. It was no longer the old R75/6 I was used to riding but it wasn't like my GSdR100R mod either.

I have this road near my shop that's all potholes that I ride to check suspension. It does not glide over it like the R100R but it's a pretty amazing improvement over the original suspension. Bottom line is it works. On the road the bike is not as aggressive as the original but very comfortable capable and easy to ride. I can't wait to get it off the pavement, that ease should translate to fun. Lots of settings to play with with the adjustable fork and shock. This is going to be fun
Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #817
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
You got it. I was expecting it to ride a lot like my R100R which feels very stable and big, but the bike does feel agile and light like it's much smaller bike.
Exactly. The Dobber weighs around 380 dry (Compared to the 420 starting weight). Even with a 4" shaft extension, give it gas and the whole front end rises up ...

Quote:
It's funny but for me I have to learn each bike as I ride them and in this case I had two sets of essentially bike muscle memory competing with each other. It was no longer the old R75/6 I was used to riding but it wasn't like my GSdR100R mod either.
That's what I was expecting. A '90's R100R feel. But I think there was ~25 pounds taken off the front, and another 15 or so taken out of other points (seat, subframe, carbs (Yes, Mikuni's weigh less), etc).

Quote:
I have this road near my shop that's all potholes that I ride to check suspension. It does not glide over it like the R100R but it's a pretty amazing improvement over the original suspension. Bottom line is it works. On the road the bike is not as aggressive as the original but very comfortable capable and easy to ride. I can't wait to get it off the pavement, that ease should translate to fun. Lots of settings to play with with the adjustable fork and shock. This is going to be fun
I have a couple of rutted, gravel roads close to me ... and yes ... FUN WILL BE HAD. Everyone that has ridden this thing comes back with large perma-grins ... asking when they can do it again.

Taken yesterday evening:
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #818
Ceejus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
i love this bike! this is Heath, i was on the Mad Max ride also, and have been chatting with you on facebook. it was cool seeing this bike as well as following it down the road for a few miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson357 View Post

I just completed and this is it at local Mad Max Ride, so MFP "Main Force Patrol" is on only for the ride. I'll get better pics later
1975 Honda XL350 Trackmaster Framed Flat Tracker
1986 Honda TLR200
1973 Yamaha RD350
Ceejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #819
lewisjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
My project nearly finished

Started life as an R80rt
Attached Images

lewisjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #820
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Bump for a cool thread
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #821
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 250
notachopper

Some folks do not like the scrambler/dirtbike conversions, they think restoration is the way to go. When building my R-75- ISDT replica, the bike was a stuck motor, bent frame already parted out rusty mess. It had a title, sooo I made a bike out of it. Like to think I saved it, and it is fun to ride, and it sees the woods regularly, plus it helps hone the tinkering/fabbing skills.
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #822
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 858
Isdt, I agree, my bike was considered a lost cause as well. It had been mostly parted out, I built most of it from parts I had collected over the years.

This was the start,.....

This is how it looks right now.

Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #823
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
Some folks do not like the scrambler/dirtbike conversions, they think restoration is the way to go. When building my R-75- ISDT replica, the bike was a stuck motor, bent frame already parted out rusty mess. It had a title, sooo I made a bike out of it. Like to think I saved it, and it is fun to ride, and it sees the woods regularly, plus it helps hone the tinkering/fabbing skills.
I love airheads modified to haul ass. On or off road. It takes a lot of skill and love for the sport. I love the looks of airheads modified to haul ass. When it all works is a beautiful thing. How not working became good looking I will never understand? When did putting a seat on your airhead that looks like it came off of a K Mart Mini bike become cool? They were like that because they were cheap crap. At least bump it up to looking like a seat off a Rupp or any number of other brand mini bikes that at least tried to have some style trying to make their seats look like real motorcycle seats. Choppers and scramblers? Love for the sport?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #824
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
Isdt, I agree, my bike was considered a lost cause as well. It had been mostly parted out, I built most of it from parts I had collected over the years.

This was the start,.....

This is how it looks right now.

Wow! An up swept exhaust that won't bruise and burn my legs at the same time. Don't blip your throttle while your just sitting there once it's off road. Well, you'll soon find out what a dust and leaf or whatever storm it will create! I hope those are good airfilters. Just starting the bike off road is going to create a dust storm. A friend of mine did that! It was like a little tornado going through the woods.

supershaft screwed with this post 06-29-2014 at 04:50 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #825
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 858
That's just the start of the intakes, the intake you see in the photo is just the tube that will be going up to the gas tank. The gas tank will have a tube running through it and the actual filter element will be on top (or close to it, I haven't gotten that far yet). The idea is to have the filter up high, mostly out of the dust stream.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote