User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Touring on a thumper

I've recently been putting alot of miles on my F650 GS. Riding everyday, all day for the last month. I've put close to 8k miles on my bike since Feb. 1st. I'd like to know where I am in the realm of others that also tour with their thumpers.

What's the average of miles you go in a day?
How often do you stop?
How long do you stop?
How fast do you travel?

(keep in mind I'm looking for an *average* of the above... think: good road/weather conditions and light to moderate traffic.)

-I've been doing anywhere from 350 to 500 miles a day. I'm comfortable with doing that many miles but after 500 miles, I'm pretty dead.

-I stop about every 100 miles. I like to stop for at least 15 to 20 minutes at a time. Otherwise I get back on the bike and it's like I never had a rest. I stop sometime in the morning to eat and that takes about an hour. I don't eat again until I've gotten to my destination. I snack on jerky or a gatorade during my breaks if I need to.

-I travel approximately 80 - 85mph with bursts to 90 for short times. This is a bit fast for comfortable riding and I feel like I'm working all the time against wind, road conditions and traffic. Ideal speed would be 75 but I'm a new rider that rides with an aggresive one and feel good when pushed - so even if I am working hard on the bike, I feel an accomplishment at the end of the day. I also don't get started until maybe 9 or 10am and ride until 5 or 6pm.

Please share your riding style and patterns... I'm very interested.

Thanks,

VR

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,893
450 mile day is my furthest on this bike. cruise at an indicated 90...more like 84-85 actual. my vista cruise keeps me on the bike for longer stretches and makes fellow riders jealous when i pass them and point at them with my throttle hand. the seat is the limiting factor for me...after 100 miles my a$$ feels like i have been sitting naked on a mound of fire ants.

i'm thinking about some highway pegs. i would then have 3 choices for the feet. the passenger pegs just about kill my knee,i can only manage about 15 minutes with my feet on the passenger pegs.

gonna find what my limit is on june 11th. i was able to con joe into another ride ...the ss1000 mass start. we're doing the temecula start. ride til we drop dead.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
VR, I think you're ready for an Ironbutt ride
A lot of people knock 'em saying it's a waste of good fuel/tyres etc. but I think everybody should do at least one... if only to appreciate the planning and tennacity involved.

Once you've put together about 1200 miles in 18 hours it really helps put the time/distance conundrum into perspective.
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Squidward
At home in my jammies

Oddometer: 1,831
goin' long

Went for a 4000 miler (round trip )2 summers ago on a Dakar.
Longest day was 825 miles. I was tired when I got home, but that was due to the 108 temp through Nevada.

Great bike -shoulda kept it
Old 03-20-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
your a real trooper Velvetride.
I've done 400 miles in a day but I stop allot and don't push for time sake.
take lots of pictures explore but I don't use it for cross country deadline destinations. I explore, I don't travel. I get there when I get there.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
A lot of people knock 'em saying it's a waste of good fuel/tyres etc. but I think everybody should do at least one... if only to appreciate the planning and tennacity involved.

Once you've put together about 1200 miles in 18 hours it really helps put the time/distance conundrum into perspective.
I've thought about it - I think I need to feel a coupla 500 miles day right in a row to get my gumption up.

Rob - I'm thinking about wider pegs - not highway pegs(tho I understand why you want them) - I sat on jkam's bike while we were at the gate in CB and I liked how it distributed my weight as opposed to the narrow ones on mine. Say hey to Joe for me and good luck on your IB run!

Dagwoood - I've been doing just that... cross country destinations. Only because of the job I hold. It's great experience and when we head out for a "trip", it's so much different and I appreciate riding more.

I'm enjoying reading your experiences, please post more.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
soon. I might finally get a chance to do some actuall travel and over nighters but the job/family seems to somehow get in the path of leaving for a few days.
May is the coast and PNWGB05. June? is Raindogride05 and September if all works out will be a week with three days in canada with the Loadedpalooza05 and a couple in Eastern/central Washington.
Now if i can get my shit together long enough.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
tac650
Nomad

Oddometer: 521
Summer Trip

I have a trip planed this summer to the Grand Canyon. The plan is to average 400 miles a day which is a good day on my thumper. The range is about 110 miles to reserve doing about 75-80 indicated which is about 4-5 miles per hour high according to my GPS. This has me stoping ever 1 1/2 to 2 hours on the back roads. I perfer to travel the back roads and stay off of the interstates when possible. The little towns and the people that live there are much more friendly and interesting. When I stop for gas I usually take a break for about 15-20 minutes. The bike doesn't seem to care and does well traveling even loaded. I will alternate with camping and motels along the way. I have been doing 200-300 mile days on the week-ends, when I can, just to prep. A note: Pack the tools you are going to carry and do all of you maintenance at home using only these tool. This way you will know what you will need along the way under normal maintenance situations. I think traveling on a Thumper is much more of an adventure besides it makes riding off road easier. It is also easy to get off road and and camp almost anywhere. Where ever you go and whatever you take do a couple of local dry runs to see how everything works. What seems to work in the garage doesn't always work on the road. Enjoy the trip!

2011 Husqvarna SMS630, 1998 Triumph Sprint, 1983 Suzuki GS1100E and retired.
tac650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac650
I have a trip planed this summer to the Grand Canyon. The plan is to average 400 miles a day which is a good day on my thumper. The range is about 110 miles to reserve doing about 75-80 indicated which is about 4-5 miles per hour high according to my GPS. This has me stoping ever 1 1/2 to 2 hours on the back roads. I perfer to travel the back roads and stay off of the interstates when possible. The little towns and the people that live there are much more friendly and interesting. When I stop for gas I usually take a break for about 15-20 minutes. The bike doesn't seem to care and does well traveling even loaded. I will alternate with camping and motels along the way. I have been doing 200-300 mile days on the week-ends, when I can, just to prep. A note: Pack the tools you are going to carry and do all of you maintenance at home using only these tool. This way you will know what you will need along the way under normal maintenance situations. I think traveling on a Thumper is much more of an adventure besides it makes riding off road easier. It is also easy to get off road and and camp almost anywhere. Where ever you go and whatever you take do a couple of local dry runs to see how everything works. What seems to work in the garage doesn't always work on the road. Enjoy the trip!
Sounds like you have a terrific trip planned! Take lots of pics and ride safe! I'd be interested to know how the plans you make now, work for you on the actual trip.

VR

Old 03-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #10
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,368
Congrats on putting the miles on the bike. I put on a lot myself this year. My longest day was about 750 (Truckee, CA to just outside West Yellowstone) I've had quite a few 500+ mile days on my round the country trip. No mechanicals. The engine is bomber. I use the rear passenger footpegs a lot. I also go to a library with my laptop before a big ride and download some audiobooks to my iPod. That gets me through the big days. Go for the unabridged editions, cuz, well, you have the time....
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:12 PM   #11
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Say hey to Joe for me and good luck on your IB run!
will do.thanks for the luck,we're gonna need it.

i have never worn ear plugs when riding until i got the klr. do you wear ear plugs,heidi? on the bike,not at dinner with bawb << j/k.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #12
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 306
What's the average of miles you go in a day? Anywhere from 3-500 miles, just depends on whether or not I'm in a hurry; normally, I'm not. My longest day was about 620 miles, from Woodland Park, CO to Kansas City MO.

How often do you stop? About once every hour or hour and a half.

How long do you stop? Five minutes or so, just long enough to stretch and get a drink. I've found that if I stop longer than that I can start to get groggy.

How fast do you travel? 60-70 mph. I try to avoid the interstates if I can, and that speed seems good on secondary roads. I usually travel without a set itenerary, so I have no reason to go faster than that. Plus, a thumper loaded with a weeks worth of camping gear gets comparily crappy fuel milage when speeds creep above 70; If I wanted to go fast I'd get an FJR....
CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:59 PM   #13
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
I have not actually done any touring as such on the KTM but have managed 6k miles since the end of July by commuting evert day plus day rides of upto 2 or 300 miles. However I can say that on a properly set up thumper, you can do huge mileages, I covered around 80k miles in two trips on a DR800 some years ago, total time to cover the miles was 16 months, I managed a couple or so 1k mile days in that, admittedly I was young and mad then, now I'm older and psychologicaly challenged I doubt I would consider more that 6 to 700 mile days and they would be an extreme case, 300 to 500 would be a more sensible maximum.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:02 AM   #14
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware

I agree. These rides help you organize, and utilize your time on the road better. The F-650 can be a very comfortable bike that will very easily do the long haul. The problem is us its very easy for us to introduce both mental and physical fatigue. If you are interested in longer touring days. It may be good to pick one of the many IBR rally books that are out there. I read one of Ron Ayers books. I have read others. But Ron's books offer lots of information on how to ride efficiently.

Curious, On longer rides do you stop to oil the chain. Or do you use a Scott oilier?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 AM   #15
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
will do.thanks for the luck,we're gonna need it.

i have never worn ear plugs when riding until i got the klr. do you wear ear plugs,heidi? on the bike,not at dinner with bawb << j/k.< of feeling the lessen plugs ear K.>
I use an iPod - every time I get on the bike. Even for short trips. I just purchased a pair of Etymotics ear phones to use. Having ear plugs in(with music) totally makes the ride diiferent. If I get to a point where I need to concentrate, I turn the music off.

I went without ear plugs/phones day before yesterday and it's a HUGE difference. Without them, after a few miles I get ringing in my ears. I've got a pretty good helmet, a Jarrow, that cuts the wind noise down, along with a taller shield to further reduce noise.

I've also got a custom(Temperpedic/Gel) heated seat and I can sit for more than 100 miles without my rear turning to mush.

VR