Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Man what a great adventure! I'm sorry to have missed it but glad to have missed it! I've got no good rain gear...
Good to see everyone having a good time and working as a team. One of these days I'll get to go on one of these adventures with you guys and gals!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,543
Badguy, EOD3MC, scottP, Jaxobsessed, and VACommuter came to the house Friday evening. After a meal and a couple cold ones it was off to bed fairly early. I felt like I was five years old and it was Christmas eve. I must of felt that way the next morning too because I was up at 4 o'clock and so was scottP so at least I had good company. We spent the next couple of hours drinking coffee, fussing with rain gear, and watching the weather radar. Being the weather experts we are, after much watching of the animated radar on accuweather we determined the worst of the storm was north of us and what was left would go east of us. Weathermen are allowed to be wrong sometimes, right?

Blaster and Dorito showed up on the Spot tracker at 6:13am leaving from southern Maryland riding most of the way in gusty winds and heavy rain. They already had an adventure by the time they got here. Twohawks, Blooch, Mtnflow, Crotchity, and SLiP210 fought through the same conditions in the Shenandoah Valley getting here. Blooch showed up with his bike puking coolant so he returned home to watch his grass seed wash away as his lower 40 became part of the Shenandoah river.

We left at 10:00 immediately dealing with rain and fogged visors. We pushed on to Monterey where we would refuel. I knew I would be close on gas but figured I had a few miles worth of cushion, I found out different three miles shy of Monterey when my reserve didn't work. So here I am, the one who has been harping on being prepared for the trip since January is sitting there out of gas 55 miles into a 600 mile trip.

I sure am glad I was nice enough to loan SLiP a fuel bottle since I got to use it first. Too bad the way he mounted it to his bike it rubbed a hole in it.

We hooked up with Pomo west of Monterey and headed to Huntersville. A few of us split off the try the first Alt section of the trip. Our fears were confirmed at the first water crossing.

So we headed to the hotel to meet up with the rest of the group.

Sun broke through the clouds at the hotel so we started spreading out wet gear in the parking lot to dry. Here's Pomo posing with scottP proudly displaying his beer, a Stroh's if I remember right.

Back in dry clothes and enjoying the sun L to R are Mtnflow, Pomo, Jax, EOD3MC, and VACommuter sitting on the "Hackasaurus".

Preparing for Saturday's ride along the Greenbrier River, signs of flooding everywhere but it was shaping up to be a beautiful day for riding.

EOD3MC alongside his KLR650 he rides like a 250. Shane Watts should be proud of his student.

Jax wanted to pose for a picture beside my DR, he's such a good guy how could I say no?

When we got to the second Alt portion of the trip Jax, Blaster, Dorito, and Pomo said they would go but if it got bad they would turn around and take the main TWVT to Hinton. They never turned around, God only knows what their definition of "bad" is.

SLiP working his way up one of the hills, he just got the bike a couple of weeks ago but you wouldn't know it. As always the pictures do not show how steep and impossibly slick the hill was.

Up next EOD3MC

He even had too dodge some old guy on the trail.

Mtnflow waiting on the rest of the group. He has to do that sometimes.

Off to the next mud hole.

It seems Jax has been in a rut lately.

Blaster pulled something in his leg so it was Pomo to the rescue.

Then he took Dorito's bike up. She was busy nursing Baster back to health or giving him hell for laying up against a barb wire fence, I can't remember.

Saw this cool old structure, I really wanted to get the bike in the shot but had to keep moving.

scottP's KLR glows green at night. Must be a SMIB thing.

Great group and alot of team work throughout the trip. When Badguy got a flat we used VACommuter's jack, Mtnflow's screwdriver, EOD3MC's tools and spare tube, scottP's pump, my tire irons and EOD3MC's baby powder. Special thanks to EOD3MC for letting me use some of his baby powder for my "condition" I'll withhold the photo at this time.

Thanks again Chip for this wonderful route. You helped create many lasting memories among friends.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by h14xl View Post
They never turned around, God only knows what their definition of "bad" is.
I often wonder that myself.

By that point, going back was almost harder than moving forwards, as is usually the case. You suddenly find a huge mudhole, or a slippery hill, and think: "As bad as this is, having to do all that stuff I just did in reverse is probably worse." It definitely gets easier just around the corner, right?

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #19
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,100
Inquiring Minds want to know..

Apparently, Kevin thinks we need some culture in SMIBland. That haughty taughty cabin had this soap:

Since it's missing any semblance of rope, it clearly can't be "soap on a rope". So, what the heck do you do with the hole in center?

And to add the preface that TwoHawks would say: "not that there is anything wrong with that"....

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,675
Thanks for putting this whole event together Kevin...Had a great time
Please thank Rhonda again for all the food and hospitality.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #21
EOD3MC
What will break next

Looks like I took the same pictures as everyone else...But here are a couple new ones...

When we finally got out of the rain on Saturday, Bruce tried to dry his gloves out a bit...Didn't help much

Scotty tearing up the forest road corners

Just in case you haven't figured out where we went..
We went through the valleys

Along the rivers

and up over the mountains..

And through the farm land

There were also some great twisty paved roads...but no way was I going to slow down enough to ride them one handed so I could snap pictures...

Overall, we went everywhere....Great Ride

EOD3MC screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 03:27 PM
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #22
krotchity
Aussies Rule!!!

Oddometer: 26
hear here

I second that. Thanks a heap for the breakfast hospitality, AND for orchestrating this entire debacle. I had an awesome time. really hate that i missed the "mud alt" day though.
krotchity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #23
EOD3MC
What will break next

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotchity View Post
I second that. Thanks a heap for the breakfast hospitality, AND for orchestrating this entire debacle. I had an awesome time. really hate that i missed the "mud alt" day though.
No worries...We can do it again....
Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,660
This ride will be one of my favorites for a long time..... Gonna be REALLY tough to beat.
I took an unBELIEVABLE 313 images. hope Y'all are ready.

So many thanks to H14XL! mtnflow, thank you too! Y'all knocked it outta the park!

I will post a mess more pix. I am also going to make the entire album available to the participants.

I enjoyed myself to the Nth degree.

Waterproof? ER.. Wazzat?

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 05:21 PM
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
JaxObsessed

Who's da MAN?

Here's the man:

Yes it can hold the following:
a heated kidney shaped pool,
a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,
a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
a king-size Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,
a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,
real simulated Indian jewelry,
a Gucci shoetree,
a year's supply of antibiotics,
a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,
a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,
Rosemary's baby,
a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,
a new Matador, a new mastodon,
a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,
a Merc Montclair, a Mark IV, a meteor,
a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,
a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,
a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,
a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,
or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,
a Las Vegas wedding,
a Mexican divorce,
a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,
AND a baby's arm holding an apple

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 06:11 PM
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #26
SLiP210
you can call me slip

Oddometer: 295
I was glad to meet everyone. This was a GREAT first trip for me. Hats off to everyone for getting thru Saturday, there were nasty comments about the weather but not one acted like they didnt want to go. I am looking forward to hanging out with you guys again. Thanks Kevin.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflow View Post
On saturday we rode in the rain ...Found some dirt..

Wow, Dean! Excellent shots! You're better at knowing when to take pics than these guys are at getting through mud holes!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #28
JaxObsessed

Nice to meet you too SliP! I met a mess of great folks! TYVM!!!!!!!!

it stopped raining for another second... and we didn't know what to do///
Old 04-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
EOD3MC
What will break next

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Wow, Dean! Excellent shots! You're better at knowing when to take pics than these guys are at getting through mud holes!
Who do you think dug the mud holes ??

We all kept wondering what he was doing when he would get way ahead of the rest of us
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #30
JaxObsessed

Do not rub the Explosive Ordinance....