Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #17
EverydayRiding
Year round riding

Oddometer: 95
in

in please. I need the anti-vibe kit.

I bought the heavy duty handguards, fat bars, powerlet top clamp, mirrors for my WR250R. It's awesome and is surviving my handlebar forestry practice. The vibes are quite tingly on the highway.

thanks!
EverydayRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
In, bought the F800GS kit but did not think about the Ralle-Moto and need a different top clamp size. My best guess is a 108mm x 38mm/40mm with what looks like SXdx but with 2 extra holes.

This brings me to a quibble, nay, an irritation, about the website. I see photos and I am holding in my hand a HDB that is not listed in the 3 (at least 3) documents that talk about top clamps. For the love of sanity can't they have a real catalog with unique numbers for items with EVERYTHING they make. It would keep us, the customers, from having to wonder, then ask questions, and use up a HDB employee time to answer those questions.

As it is the information is scattered all willy-nilly and leaves things as clear as mud. /rant off

So ya, put me down for that thing I want if they can figure out what they sent me, but in the size I need. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #19
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
I'm IN!

I have a WR250R and I want:

- ADV Top clamp (100 - 38/40)
- Regular guards
- a set of pre-tapped and insert installed bars
- two mirrors

Only problem I see is I can't figure out how to order the ADV top clamp with the set... I can't choose it when I am in the "Yamaha handguard set" page... I know there is a way to order the top clamp buy itself but it seems to force me to order a "standard" top clamp when ordering the guards... Will this be fixed for the buy?
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Only problem I see is I can't figure out how to order the ADV top clamp with the set... I can't choose it when I am in the "Yamaha handguard set" page... I know there is a way to order the top clamp buy itself but it seems to force me to order a "standard" top clamp when ordering the guards... Will this be fixed for the buy?
Paul is still revamping the order pages. He hopes to have that done soon. He will be doing away with the make specific pages and doing what he did with the top clamp pages.

Geckorider,
The part number idea is a great one. I'll mention that to Paul. Since January, he has revamped all versions of top clamp and has phased out his original open bottom clamps and the first version of the powerlet clamp that had the powerlet holes on the lower part of the clamp. He has a small inventory of those still available in various sizes, but once they are gone, they are gone. The powerlet top clamps now have the powerlet holes on the upper clamp rather than the lower portion which made it work better with stabilizers, etc.

Is your clamp like this one?
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #21
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Paul is still revamping the order pages. He hopes to have that done soon. He will be doing away with the make specific pages and doing what he did with the top clamp pages.

Geckorider,
The part number idea is a great one. I'll mention that to Paul. Since January, he has revamped all versions of top clamp and has phased out his original open bottom clamps and the first version of the powerlet clamp that had the powerlet holes on the lower part of the clamp. He has a small inventory of those still available in various sizes, but once they are gone, they are gone. The powerlet top clamps now have the powerlet holes on the upper clamp rather than the lower portion which made it work better with stabilizers, etc.

Is your clamp like this one?
Like that, without the powerlet openings on the bottom and anodized black. Paul has been in touch with me actually and made a fine offer. Have been very happy with the customer service given by HDB and it keeps coming. Trying to run the whole show solo is a tough job so color me impressed.

The better organization of the parts, along with a clear flow of how/what to order, will cut down on questions, customer frustration, and give everyone more time to ride.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #22
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
What the heck it's only money, I'm in. I will be going for top mount with handguards in black including the turn signals in the covers. Just one caveat, I'm going to have to get some new Rox risers asap to find out if I can get the top mount to work with the 1200GS dimensions.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #23
shoein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I'm in. Please
shoein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
anybikewilldo
adventurer????

Oddometer: 20
HDB coupon

Sign me up!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #25
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Reversible?

Hi Chadx,

Just wondering if the reversible ever eventuated? If so will it be available for this buy?

Thanks.
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #26
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Just one caveat, I'm going to have to get some new Rox risers asap to find out if I can get the top mount to work with the 1200GS dimensions.

Some more good news for fans of most Rox risers. Rox Pivoting Riser fatbar top clamps have a spread of 38.5mm so the 38 - 40mm slotted top clamp will accommodate that. (I have not checked on the 7/8" bar risers, but it seems few use Rox risers and stick with 7/8" bars).

The 38/40mm slotted top clamps, in your bikes stock width (100mm, 98mm, 96mm, etc.), will work with the following Rox Pivoting Risers:
- Rox Pivoting 2" Riser - 7/8" Stem clamp to 1 1/8" Bar Clamp
- Rox Pivoting 2" Riser - 1 1/8" Stem clamp to 1 1/8" Bar Clamp
- Rox Pivoting 1 3/4" Riser - 1 1/8" Stem clamp to 1 1/8" Bar Clamp

The HDB top clamps can work with the below top clamps, but only if the noted conditions are met:
- Rox risers with a 7/8" stem clamp to 7/8" bar clamp must use a non-fatbar HDB top clamp which come in limited versions. We've not yet verified this will fit so ask here before ordering and we can verify with Rox.
- Rox Anti-vibration Risers. The anti-vibration Rox Risers have a built in offset that requires a wider than stock top clamp size (often 10 - 20mm wider than stock). There is some leeway in the mounting of the Rox Risers, but it's best to get the Risers first, then measure the min and max width top clamp that will work before ordering.
- Any Rox Riser that uses double-top clamp bolts will not work with any HDB top clamps.

Since Rox Risers are two independent risers, this allows some leeway in positioning meaning they can be positioned slightly wider to accommodate a top clamp width slightly wider than your stock width. For example, if your stock top clamp spread is 100mm, then you'd normally get the 100mm HDB top clamp, however a clamp slightly wider than 100mm would work as well. Similarly, a 100mm top clamp can be used on a bike that normally takes a 98mm or a 96mm width top clamp. Normally one would order the top clamp in the exact width needed, but there are a few times one might consider ordering a top clamp slightly wider than one needs (Importanat: Narrower than stock won't work). One reason would be if it is a discontinued version that you want and that version is only available in a size slightly wider than your stock width. Or maybe you are transferring a top clamp from one bike to another (again, only a wider than stock size can be accommodated. Not a narrower than stock). Or maybe you want to proactively order one wider than you need in case you move to another brand in the future and want to move your rox risers and top clamp to the new bike.

If one wants some bar rise anyway, Rox risers are a good way to get the rise while simultaneously adapting from a 7/8" bar to 1 1/8" bar.

Another benefit of having a one piece top clamp is it will add a bit more resistance to riser twist than the stock, two-piece Rox Pivot risers.

As always, when installing risers of any kind, ensure cable and wiring routing, clearance and adequate length are maintained (including turning the handlebars from steering lock to steering lock).

An explanation why a wider than normal top clamp is needed for the anti-vibration Rox Risers:
In the below images, you can see the standard Rox risers (left image) will allow you to keep the top clamp bolts aligned with the stock top clamp bolts, meaning your stock top clamp width is retained. The anti-vibration Rox risers (right image) show the offset and is the reason why a wider top clamp width would be required (10 - 20mm wider than stock in come cases).

Chadx screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 02:38 PM
Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #27
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Just wondering if the reversible ever eventuated? If so will it be available for this buy?
Hi Gany,
There was one run of 100x38/40mm reversible top clamps done. It is not a version Paul plans on stocking or generally making available in a variety of sizes. As shown below, those had the powerlet holes, switch holes, and also the LED holes and could be mounted in two positions 180 degrees from one another (powerlet holes at top or at bottom) and still work with the handguard mounts. There are likely still a couple floating around. I can ask Paul about it and hold one for you if that is the correct size for you and if he still has some available.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #28
onlead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I'm in.
onlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #29
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Thanks will check it against my WR250R ralle moto damper clamp... Stupid question, the 38/40mm, does that mean the holes are oval as such with centres 38mm and 40mm apart to allow for some variation?
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #30
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
question, the 38/40mm, does that mean the holes are oval as such with centres 38mm and 40mm apart to allow for some variation?
Correct. Paul calls them "slotted" and it accommodates more bolt patterns with fewer top clamps. 2mm is about the width of pencil lead, so it's barely noticeable if it wasn't labeled as such. No degradation to strength or functionality. Not the best angle, but here is an example of the slotted 100x38/40mm top clamp: