Add me to the coupon list, please.
torinreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #78
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Common Sizes for top clamps. Top clamp sizes that have a slash "/" are a slotted top clamp which allows for fewer clamps to fit a wider variety of bikes.

Suzuki
RM/RMZ
1 1/8 bars
100x38/40mm

DR-SM
1 1/8 bars
96x38/41mm
FYI...stock DR 650 with 7/8" bars is 100x33/35mm. Fits my '08 anyway.
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #79
Scharcon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm In!
Scharcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #80
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
In.....I need a top clamp with ram mount for my new Husky.
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #81
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
I don't see a specific reason why the correct size HDB top clamp wouldn't work with the Rox offsets. I think the top clamp bolts for those are simply shorter, correct? They still have the standard sized heat and are not running at any weird angle? As long as the top clamp measurement is correct, I would think it would work. Since those are fatbars, guessing the 38/40 is the correct up/down measurement. Width is probably around 100mm? If someone knows a reason why it wouldn't, post up, otherwise it's probably worth a try.

alrighty so what exactly should i order...? kinda lost me in the middle there
Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #82
Toddwmac
ADV addict

Oddometer: 283
In for the HDBfest
Thanks
Lost but don't care!
Toddwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #83
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post

This is exactly what I am looking for my Airhead GSPD. It has been set up with custom triple clamp from a CR450x with a BRP sub mount. The is a Scotts reverse mount underneath.

I need to go and measure which one I would need, but thi would resolve all of my work arounds in my setup.

Is there anyway to cut off the tabs on th upper part of the mount where the hand guards mount be for it is sent to be anodized? My bike already has hand guards on it and it might give me some more clearance.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #84
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,119
I went back to double check the posts and see if I could answer some of the questions.

Here in general is how the damper setups affect assembly and ordering.

I don't support any top clamp mounted dampers, reason is I'd need to double or more my inventory of top clamp versions, and for the most part submts are a better solution.

So for submts in general the top clamps are 100mm or greater, reason being the makers of the submts standardize the one piece lower clamps that the damper must physically fit between and then machine the mounting holes to the upper triple to whatever the stock spacing is. This reduces the different setups needed to make the parts and costs. Scotts, BRP and GPR all do this.

The exception to this is like the KTM Scotts/BRP submt plate that sandwiches between the upper triple and the lower handlebar clamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm View Post
Count me in! Need to know what top clamps will work with a Scotts damper on a '11 F800GS with the stock bar.
So Jamm and Motorfiets, never seen a damper setup on a F800GS, but I'd bet even though the holes that mount to the upper triple are 98mm spread, that the bolt pattern is 100x38/40mm for the top clamp.

Here also, as Chad has mentioned, is a good example of a case where the templates could be of good use. Print them out and overlay them on the top clamp to be sure, because like in many cases, I haven't seen this setup before and can only give a best guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
in.......... maybe........ can I fit it with this setup?!? F800GS with scotts and rox offset risers

Now Motorfiets, your pic illustrates just how different some setups can be, nothing from the upper triple north is stock, but if you can imagine we're only interested in replacing the top clamp up, everything south does not affect fitment. So if in doubt, print out a template and overlay to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Thanks for the info, just measured and the WR250R ralle-moto clamps are 108x~39 so Id need a 108x38/40 pattern. Will check out the other standard clamps and weigh up my plans from there. Cheers.
Gany, yes all the RalleMoto setups I've done so far have been 108x38/40mm. Those Aussie dudes like their clamps big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Couple questions:
1. Which hand guard is the right set up for a stock 990?
2. I have Scott damper on the bike. Can I still install the hand guards?
Thanks for the answers.
FYYFF, All of the 9XX setups I've done with dampers have been with aftermarket upper triples, reason being the lowers are cast into the stock triple and the lowers are at an angle to the steering stem. It's critical to the function of the damper that the damper axis is concentric with the steering stem axis so that the damper doesn't bind while turning the bars.

So for your case the setup for a stock 990 is 90x38/40mm and the setup for a 990 with a Scotts upper triple and a damper is 100x38/40mm. Let me know which one you have or even post a pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
What the heck it's only money, I'm in. I will be going for top mount with handguards in black including the turn signals in the covers. Just one caveat, I'm going to have to get some new Rox risers asap to find out if I can get the top mount to work with the 1200GS dimensions.
farmerger, these are the requests that scare me the most and also will require the most info to get it right, I've seen some way out there bar bends on street bikes that the guards just aren't meant to fit.

I had to look up the 1200gs (I'm not a big street bike guy) and would need some pics of the cockpit area and the bar clearance with the bars turned at full locks to see about fitment and any interference. Some reservoirs can also be an issue, so please include those in the pics when you send them to me.

Hope all this helps more than confuses things.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #85
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
So Jamm and Motorfiets, never seen a damper setup on a F800GS, but I'd bet even though the holes that mount to the upper triple are 98mm spread, that the bolt pattern is 100x38/40mm for the top clamp.
so should i order the 98x38/40 set or the 100 set?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #86
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Oddometer: 436
Any word on a Datel mounted top clamp? I talked to Paul and it was in the works a few months ago.

Can you please include me on the 15% coupon list.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #87
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
I just took some calipers to my F8 top clamps (that came with the damper kit). I have the Scotts Damper sub mount underneath

I keep on getting 98x40 but please consider I am relatively inebriated and I was measuring at a funny angle I am mostly certain it is 98x40 but you may want 1 more source.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #88
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttys View Post
Any word on a Datel mounted top clamp? I talked to Paul and it was in the works a few months ago.

Can you please include me on the 15% coupon list.

Thanks!
PM sent

Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #89
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
I just took some calipers to my F8 top clamps (that came with the damper kit). I have the Scotts Damper sub mount underneath

I keep on getting 98x40 but please consider I am relatively inebriated and I was measuring at a funny angle I am mostly certain it is 98x40 but you may want 1 more source.
Looks like you're right EnderTheX, when I zoom in I can see it 98x38/40mm.
I owe you a beer.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #90
mxbulldog
Braaaap!

Oddometer: 117
I am in for a set of handguards for an 09 F800GS. I will be going with all black anodized and the ADVdx clamp. Also will be ordering mirrors for both sides. Interested in the anti-vibe inserts as well.

I noticed in a couple of the pictures and drawings there was a mount for a Scosche ipod controller. Is this offered or was it a custom job? Would it be possible to get one and what kind of price would I be looking at? That is definitely the most sano way to mount that ipod controller I have seen yet!

I will also be looking to have my order shipped USPS to Canada.

Thanks,

Bruce
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote