ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #196
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Sounds good, Geek. Can I sleep on your couch Thursday night?
You bet. (or if you don't mind Einstein you can sleep on the Futon in our guest room )
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #197
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
You bet. (or if you don't mind Einstein you can sleep on the Futon in our guest room )
Sweet! I love animals. Cat, right?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #198
Geek OP
oot & aboot

yeah.. he has his own facebook page. you can find him on mine or cheryl's page and message him to make sure its ok with him
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #199
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,254
Geek,

Saturday night I know a MUCH quieter and better alternative to the Sand Dunes camping...and its very close
Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #200
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Planning Summary at this point:

**actual route may vary
Looks exciting, especially the going in circles up north. Looking forward to it.

DirtySantana screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 09:53 PM
DirtySantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #201
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton View Post
I have been following the thread for the last few days and I am really thinking about coming along. I am still new to dual sport riding but getting there. I bought the bike in September last year and spent winter setting up the bike. Its an F650 Dakar I have some home built panniers and most of my personal gear together. I still need some dirt tires boots and tools / spares for repairs. Is there anything else I might need or should try and get ready? I have been putting around 250 miles a week on it and all I really want to do is ride more.

Andrew
Welcome Andrew

Short Answer: Toilet paper

Do you have much riding experience?
How about much camping experience?

It is ok if you don't, I'm just curious so that I can help you think of things you may not have considered...

As for completely generic beginner suggestions: Think about everything you need to be "self sufficient". What do you need to survive if everything goes wrong?

Do you have a way to start a fire?

How much water? It is desert out there - you should have lots of water with you (I find I personally use about a gallon/day out there).

If you get a flat tire do you have what you need to fix it?

Is your bike reliable: chain? sprockets? brake pads? all in good condition?

What if your bike's luggage has a mounting failure in a get off (common with hard bags) - do you have extra straps to hold everything together to get you home?

If you were broken down and on your own out there would you be able to survive several days? What if you had a broken leg?

There won't be cell phone service where we will be so you need to be ready to cover all potential situations. A lot of us run with SPOT satellite trackers because of this.

Just some chains of thought to get you started thinking about what to bring and what to leave at home
Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #202
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
Geek,

Saturday night I know a MUCH quieter and better alternative to the Sand Dunes camping...and its very close
Oh come on.. you don't wanna watch the turbo banshees doing 100mph wheelies by the tents all night?

I was already counting on you. "Sand Dunes" is just the vicinity- I'm looking forward to camping at the spot you told me about

Geek screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 10:07 PM
Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #203
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySantana View Post
Looks exciting, especially the going in circles up north. Looking forward to it.
It'll be great to ride with you again Miguel!
Time sure flies... we haven't ridden together since our Montana run last summer

We need to find some cattle guards out there

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #204
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,943
Quote:
Planning Summary at this point:

**actual route may vary
Prime route!

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #205
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,261
Mr. Geek, Sir!

I would like to maybe possibly go on this ride with you and company, however my submittal will be most likely last minute.

Which bike would be best? the 950 or the 530?

Thanks

Rick

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #206
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,943
I have a couch and a couple of beds in Steamboat if anyone wanted to head over on Thursday... Dysco may be taking up one of them if he's kicked out of his provided housing by then...

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #207
amorton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Welcome Andrew

Short Answer: Toilet paper

Do you have much riding experience?
How about much camping experience?

It is ok if you don't, I'm just curious so that I can help you think of things you may not have considered...

As for completely generic beginner suggestions: Think about everything you need to be "self sufficient". What do you need to survive if everything goes wrong?

Do you have a way to start a fire?

How much water? It is desert out there - you should have lots of water with you (I find I personally use about a gallon/day out there).

If you get a flat tire do you have what you need to fix it?

Is your bike reliable: chain? sprockets? brake pads? all in good condition?

What if your bike's luggage has a mounting failure in a get off (common with hard bags) - do you have extra straps to hold everything together to get you home?

If you were broken down and on your own out there would you be able to survive several days? What if you had a broken leg?

There won't be cell phone service where we will be so you need to be ready to cover all potential situations. A lot of us run with SPOT satellite trackers because of this.

Just some chains of thought to get you started thinking about what to bring and what to leave at home
Riding experience is varied, mostly on pavement some dirt but usually on sketchy street tires so the bike never really feels planted.

Camping gear is not a problem, It turns out light weight motorcycle camping gear and backpacking gear is one and the same. I typically take enough with me for an few extra days if needed geared out to a weak or two on foot.

Tires kit is part of what I need I have heard you can get a 21" tube to work in a smaller tire to save space but I figure it wont hurt to pick up a set of irons and 21" and 17" tube along with a set of patches

My racks should be fine in a crash and the boxes are 20mm ammo cans so a big rock will fix them, I would put them up against any commercial gear, but with that said I always have a few ratchet straps with me. Brakes chain and sprockets are all new maybe 500 miles on all.

Any baby wipes are way better or at least a required supplement to toilet paper. 5 months in Afghanistan will teach you how valuable they can be.

Thank you for the suggestions and I will start trying to get my self to where I feel ready, maybe a few trips to rampart seeing as I live in castle rock.
amorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #208
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
I have a couch and a couple of beds in Steamboat if anyone wanted to head over on Thursday... Dysco may be taking up one of them if he's kicked out of his provided housing by then...

I may take you up on that if there's room.. I'd rather ride up the night before than at the crack of dawn, that's for sure.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #209
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
Mr. Geek, Sir!

I would like to maybe possibly go on this ride with you and company, however my submittal will be most likely last minute.

Which bike would be best? the 950 or the 530?

Thanks

Rick
950. It is dirt roads for the most part. Hope you can make it!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #210
SemperRex
OH YEAH

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
I love to get in on that! Save me cold dark ride from Boulder at 4am... I'll bring beer.