Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
pthomas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Just bought an R90/6

I had been looking since January and finally found a bike

The tank and the fairing are not included in the sale, so I'm looking for a fuel tank. The tires are dry rotted and the crossover pipe between the headers is cracking. (Any tips on where to source either and how to determine whether the tank from another model will fit my '74). Otherwise it's in good shape and has some of the 90/S features such as the seat and front end.

I'm glad to officially join the group now that I own a bike.

pthomas screwed with this post 06-04-2011 at 10:08 AM
pthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 878
Nice!

those tanks are hard to find, but a stock one shouldn't be.

I got a whole set of headers, (both pipes, crossover, and finned exhaust nuts w/gaskets) for $35 on ebay, they were off of a /5, i used them on a R60/6, so they should work on that one. I'm not positive, however, the 900cc might have a bigger exhaust.

welcome to the asylum!

Mendo
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
The twin front disc is not an R90S item, it was an option on the disc braked /6 bikes. Pity about the big tank, they are very collectable.

With that seat you can fit any /7 tank and the seat tank combo will work. If you go back to a /6 tank, you will need to change the seat to a /6 type. I think that the r90/S /7 seat is longer.

Tanks seem to be getting expensive, make sure that it is not rusty or leaking, best to check the inside with a torch looking for pinholes, usually around the fuel taps area. If the tank has been sealed, some sealants don't seem to work very well with the increased amount of ethanol in fuel.

Bike looks really nice, does it run well?
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendodave View Post
those tanks are hard to find, but a stock one shouldn't be.

I got a whole set of headers, (both pipes, crossover, and finned exhaust nuts w/gaskets) for $35 on ebay, they were off of a /5, i used them on a R60/6, so they should work on that one. I'm not positive, however, the 900cc might have a bigger exhaust.

welcome to the asylum!

Mendo

Nope Dave they are all same header /5/6/7 untill 81 when they went with the 2 crossover type.
But even then, the crossovers are all the same.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
The twin front disc is not an R90S item, it was an option on the disc braked /6 bikes. Pity about the big tank, they are very collectable.

With that seat you can fit any /7 tank and the seat tank combo will work. If you go back to a /6 tank, you will need to change the seat to a /6 type. I think that the r90/S /7 seat is longer.

Tanks seem to be getting expensive, make sure that it is not rusty or leaking, best to check the inside with a torch looking for pinholes, usually around the fuel taps area. If the tank has been sealed, some sealants don't seem to work very well with the increased amount of ethanol in fuel.

Bike looks really nice, does it run well?
No Chas it's the opposite. the tank is longer on the S and /7, so you can run the seat that he has with a /6 tank but it will have a 2 inch (ish) gap. By saying torch, you might want to elaborate, here in the states, torch means FLAME, which I don't think is a good idea to stick in a gas tank. In G.B. torch means flashlight.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Wirewker,
The seat is a /7 item fitted with the rack that appeared on the RS/RT/100S bikes so I reckon will only fit properly fit with a /7 tank. the cockpit fairing looks as if it is a proper S fairing with an aftermarket screen on it.

Sorry about the linguistic confusion, I did mean flashlight!

If the bike has been sitting around unused for a few years then you will benefit by doing a full service before starting to use it?

Charles
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
pthomas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was going by what I'd been told by the seller; thanks for education me about my bike.

I don't know the history of the bike, the current owner bought it a month ago for the tank and fairing. I have the address of the previous owner and will contact him and see what kind of life it had. The current owner has been ridding it with those tires, the previous might have done the same.

I'd love to find the same tank, or bigger, but haven't been able to do so. I have a line on a German police tank and I think that's what I'll end up with based on time and cost: a tank is needed to ride her home.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
How about some photos?

We loves us some photos and filling in your profile with a location would be nice too!!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,743
Oooohhh.. . an ADVENTURE ride.... cool! Nice score
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
pthomas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
How about some photos?

We loves us some photos and filling in your profile with a location would be nice too!!
There is a link to a pic, the only pic I have, in the original post. I'll post more pics of the bike when I go get it. That might take a few weeks.
I'll fill the profile.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Wirewker,
The seat is a /7 item fitted with the rack that appeared on the RS/RT/100S bikes so I reckon will only fit properly fit with a /7 tank. the cockpit fairing looks as if it is a proper S fairing with an aftermarket screen on it.

Sorry about the linguistic confusion, I did mean flashlight!

If the bike has been sitting around unused for a few years then you will benefit by doing a full service before starting to use it?

Charles
Actually a /7 takes a short Bench style seat but the length is the same as this cowled seat which originally appeared in 74 with the S models.
Maybe in the UK they didn't have bench seats?
Either way he can run either tank with the seat.

Trust me.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
pthomas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just to ensure I'm understanding this correctly: any tank will bolt on, but the /6 and earlier will have a two inch gap. Tanks made for GS (and maybe another model) are the exception to that rule and would not fit.

Has anyone had any luck fitting another manufacturer's tank?

Thanks

1974 R90/6
Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthomas View Post
Just to ensure I'm understanding this correctly: any tank will bolt on, but the /6 and earlier will have a two inch gap. Tanks made for GS (and maybe another model) are the exception to that rule and would not fit.

Has anyone had any luck fitting another manufacturer's tank?

Thanks
The tank form G/s GS R65 ST R100r mystic use a different front saddle and won't mount up front correctly. I like the look of the S /7 tank more, but what do I know?
Just and old fart. Your other assumptions are correct. /6 tank, gap.
/7 tank, no gap

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
subagon
Hopelessly lost

Oddometer: 570
pthomas,

Welcome the the club. I'm over in Plant City if your ever in the area you're welcome to drop in and share a wrench or ride. I have a few tanks you can look at to compare.

As a new airhead owner I'd strongly suggest you join the Airheads (www.airheads.org). A great group that's eager to share a hand and knowledge about these bikes. The Florida Airheads (www.flairheads.org) are very active and hold several tech days each year. Tech days are a great places to learn how to fix your bike. The next Tech day is on May 6th in Homosasa. Last year had about 30 people show up, some rode, others trailers their projects.Here's the write up from last year, I'm the one who had the flat tire. Bike or no bike, a great time is in store.

subagon screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 08:28 PM
subagon is offline   Reply With Quote