User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #91
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,803
Day 8: April 11, 2011 Vegas, Baby!!

One of the things Stuart, Warren and I talked about at lunch was motorcycle trips and were we had been. Stuart had been a lot of places I hadn't including the Grand Canyon. Now I had missed out on the Canyon because of the snow and I got to thinking it would be a shame to be so close and not go so I called work and asked for 2 more days of leave - approved!! Now I don't have to be back to Victoria until the 19th!! Whoo hoo!
We arrive in Las Vegas in the late afternoon and drive right through downtown looking for the hotel. Once we arrive I go check in and find my room to freshen up. The weather is gorgeous and warm so I finally get to wear the sandals and t-shirt I brought It turns out the band's rooms are right below mine and I can hear bagpipes as I'm showering. All glammed up I head downstairs to a full-on bagpipe jam Everyone is taking turns either piping or drumming and beer is in abundance. There were even some very attractive single men Since I neither pipe nor drum I was coerced to put my long rusty Highland Fling skills to use. Believe me that is not something anybody wants to see twice A disturbing resemblace to the hippo dancer from Fantasia without the grace. Stuart and Warren had already been talking about my trip and everybody wanted to hear about it. I was surprised to hear that they were quite impressed that I was doing such a long trip solo. I did run into that over and over as I travelled. I didn't think much about it since I read about long trips on ADV all the time but long distance solo riders are unusual and long distance solo women riders are very scarce. Hey, I'm definitely not one to turn down the admiration of a bunch of good-looking guys The piping and drumming was fantastic and the company was excellent. Later on we all went for dinner and continued with the fun.
One of the things I wanted to do in Las Vegas was cruise the strip after dark so around 9 pm I hit the streets. The concierge had warned me that traffic would be horrendous but I set out anyway and found that it wasn't that bad. I ran down south of town until I found the Las Vegas sign.

Then I continued north along Las Vegas Boulevard.
The Luxor

New York, New York

The Sahara

The Stratosphere. Nope, I didn't ride the roller coaster or the zipline.

I got back to the hotel about 10:30 and the rest of what happened that night can just stay in Las Vegas
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 06:46 AM
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #92
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Great report CG. I envy you. I did a very similar route a couple of years back and loved it. As for the Sidney area? Take your time getting back. It's STILL wet and cold here. Which is just weird. They say spring is coming. But they have been saying that for a long time.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #93
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,960
Great fun! Keep it comin'!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #94
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Great report CG. I envy you. I did a very similar route a couple of years back and loved it. As for the Sidney area? Take your time getting back. It's STILL wet and cold here. Which is just weird. They say spring is coming. But they have been saying that for a long time.
Thanks. Actually I got back to Sidney on the 19th and I haven't had the bike out since - work, sleep and writing this RR has taken all my time
At least it's been warm enough to sit on the patio to drink my morning coffee
Tomorrow I'll write about the Grand Canyon.
A Cougar goes racing
Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #95
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Sure you weren't on the pat bay tonight? thought I saw you.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #96
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Sure you weren't on the pat bay tonight? thought I saw you.
Nope, not me. There's a few orange Wees around Victoria but I don't think anyone has that exact jacket. Makes me hard to mistake.
A Cougar goes racing
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #97
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Nope, not me. There's a few orange Wees around Victoria but I don't think anyone has that exact jacket. Makes me hard to mistake.
Now that I think about it, the jacket was all safety green
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #98
JMH1950
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Where did you stay in Vegas? I seen a few guys in kilts wandering around the place I was staying at. (Alexis Park)
JMH1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #99
rocketmanphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
the never ending story

keep the stories coming cowgirl

glad to hear that all is going well and that you have had, and are having fun........ all because of a motorbike
You know he's on the level.
rocketmanphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #100
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH1950 View Post
Where did you stay in Vegas? I seen a few guys in kilts wandering around the place I was staying at. (Alexis Park)
I stayed at Terrible's. I think there were a lot of kilts around Vegas that week
A Cougar goes racing
Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #101
CanadaCarrie
Excited Rookie!

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
ADVILF - think ADV and MILF - is in Ouray, CO on the July long weekend That'll be a whole other adventure

Wow that event sounds fun! Do you have to be a MILF to go? I am old enough but childfree! He He
CanadaCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #102
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Day 9: April 12, 2011

I managed to drag myself out of bed for breakfast with the band My plan for the day was to go to Hoover Dam and then on to the Grand Canyon. I was hoping to camp there overnight and come back the next day.
It was a fabulous morning, sunny and warm, and it felt sooo good to be out on the bike. Every morning felt like that though whether the sun was shining or not. I always found myself whooping as I got out on the highway in the morning, I was lovin' this!
I headed out US93 toward Boulder City and Lake Mead

Then I took the exit for Hoover Dam. It's a marvelous piece of engineering.

The lake looks awfully low.

As usual, I asked some good-looking guy to take my picture That's the US93 bridge in the background - it's high!!!

Willow Beach off US 93

As I continued along US93 the wind started to pick up again. By the time I reached Kingman it was up to gale force. At Kingman I turned east on I40 straight into the teeth of it. It didn't stop all day. I pulled off at Seligman for gas and a rest. It was a gorgeous day but that wind wears you down.

At Williams I turned up US64 toward the Grand Canyon Village. The wind was still trying to push me off the road.

I arrived at the park entrance and as I was digging for cash to pay the entrance fee I asked what the temperature for the night was forecast to be. "Twenty two" was the answer (that's -5C) My last trip out I'd camped at 2C (35F) and froze my butt off so there wasn't going to be any camping for me.

It was about 6 pm when I pulled into the parking lot at the Village. Nothing prepares you for the first sight of the Grand Canyon. It's so vast and awe-inspiring, it doesn't look real but more like a painted backdrop. It's absolutely the most fabulous thing I've ever seen. It's cliche but there really are no words that do it justice.

Yep, I was really there

Hmmm, OK, so no camping. Where was I going to spend the night? A hotel room there at the canyon is quite spendy and I'm quite, um, frugal (one of the reasons I'd hoped to camp ) I decided to head off to Flagstaff and find a fleabag motel then come back up to the Canyon via Cameron and drive along the rim before going back to Las Vegas. South down 64 I went. When I got to Valle there was a sign for Flagstaff and an arrow pointing left. Oooh, could that be a shortcut? Let's give it a try! Have I mentioned that I don't have a GPS and that the maps and the iPad were packed away in the top box? No?
It's getting dark as I set off down what turns out to be highway 180. The sunset is beautiful and I'm cruising along, no traffic in sight. This is pretty sweet. The road starts to climb and it starts to get cold, fast. And there's a big mountain ahead of me, what's with that? Now there's friggin' snow by the side of the road I eventually get up over 8000 ft and find Flagstaff's ski resort - the Snowbowl. Have I mentioned I hate snow
By the time I get to Flagstaff I'm well and truly frozen. I find the required fleabag motel and spend the next hour in a hot tub.
A Cougar goes racing

Cowgirl screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 09:34 PM
Old 04-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #103
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCarrie View Post
Wow that event sounds fun! Do you have to be a MILF to go? I am old enough but childfree! He He
Open to all singles I'll PM you the deets.
A Cougar goes racing
Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #104
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Did you ride to Baker, CA then down route 127? Looks like some terrain I was in last week. Really enjoying the read of your adventure, great way to get a date.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #105
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Did you ride to Baker, CA then down route 127? Looks like some terrain I was in last week. Really enjoying the read of your adventure, great way to get a date.
Thanks.
I didn't ride 127 - I took 58 from Bakerfield to Barstow then I15 up to Las Vegas. Baker is just north of 58 though so it's the same terrain. Baker is a long way from Nfld - where you riding?
A Cougar goes racing