User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
ArmyStrong OP
6F

Oddometer: 122
14 GSA Battery ? from dumb ass

I have a battery tender that flashes a green, yellow or red (the part that is attached to the bike).

i have only plugged it in once when I fractured my back and was not riding for 2 weeks.

Lately, it is flashing red when I take off in the morning for my 20 mile commute to work (daily). I arrive and its green, and red again when I leave.

Weather is colder, 30s at night. I also am using heated gear and my heated grips more.

Should i be plugging it in nightly? I never read the manual (shame on me), and was unsure if plugging it in routinely was advised.
ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
ducmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrong View Post
I have a battery tender that flashes a green, yellow or red (the part that is attached to the bike).

i have only plugged it in once when I fractured my back and was not riding for 2 weeks.

Lately, it is flashing red when I take off in the morning for my 20 mile commute to work (daily). I arrive and its green, and red again when I leave.

Weather is colder, 30s at night. I also am using heated gear and my heated grips more.

Should i be plugging it in nightly? I never read the manual (shame on me), and was unsure if plugging it in routinely was advised.
What battery tender are you using?
Are you turning off your heated gear controller? And is this switched on with ignition or direct to battery?
Batteries work/last best when they are getting used/cycled. So leaving a battery plugged in all the time will make it go bad faster.

Sorry to hear about your back. :( Sounds like healed up.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
ArmyStrong OP
6F

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post
What battery tender are you using?
Are you turning off your heated gear controller? And is this switched on with ignition or direct to battery?
Batteries work/last best when they are getting used/cycled. So leaving a battery plugged in all the time will make it go bad faster.

Sorry to hear about your back. :( Sounds like healed up.
CTEK US 800 tender, I got it when I took delivery installed so not sure how it is wired.

I unplug the gear when I park the bike (gerbing stuff). It connects to the stock powerlet thing near the handlebars.

I ride daily, just not very far on work days, so I was thinking with it being colder, and with me using the heated gear, maybe the driving is not charging it enough.

I plugged it in tonight and will see how long i keep the green light. The last 4 nights it showed red when I started it around 11pm for the ride home, it cranked fine.
ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Grimreaper7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
The CTEK comfort indicator (the traffic light connector attached to the bike ) is a great way to instantly see if you need to charge the battery up. But it is not the way to tell if the battery is charged fully, you need to use the indicators ON THE CHARGER.
The traffic light will go green as soon as you connect the charger (turned on of course) it's just a voltage monitor.
You need to leave the CTEK charger connected for long enough for the green 'battery full' led to come on (could be anything up to 36 hours)
If it still turns red after a day, then yes, you are probably not putting enough charge into the battery while riding it, either use less heated gear or use the charger more whenever you can.
Grimreaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote