Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #61
Str8lin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
More power to you bro, took a vision and some balls to jump into that project! Not only do you have a bomber GS, but what you've gained in experience and confidence is priceless!

Would be great to get a disertation on all that you've got into the bike, specific parts etc.

cheers !
Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #62
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 918
Electrics?

Pretty amazing! So, what's missing? Is any of the original electronics any good? Can you get a fuel pump + motronics from another donor bike (maybe not an HP)?
Or maybe go old school with carbs and a mechanical speedo and call it a day?
Bike electrics always drove me crazy - I'm not sure I would want to fix the existing harness or install a new OEM one. Could one simplify the wiring, just alternator - regulator - battery - high/low beam - tail - brakes - turn signals - hall sensor - ignition (It looks easy on 'American Chopper')? Does the stock HP2 have a 'normal' alternator, or does it need a computer to do anything?
From one of your (OP) comments it sounded like you had a connection to a local BMW shop - maybe they could do the wiring for you if you want to go all original?

Anyways, cool project. You just need a thicker skin.
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #63
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeat View Post
Can anyone tell me what this asshole means?
Pretty sure he was commenting on the fact that the seat foam was in remarkably good condition compared to the rest of the bike, and that the fire retardant material in the seat did its job... OTOH I am pretty sure you have misidentified who the asshole is.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #64
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
OP PM'd me amd called me a "tough guy" for giving my opinion! I'm out,,,,,,,byeeee
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #65
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Brave man to take on such a project. Would love to see more and better photos. Also I wonder what the $2000 to finish entails?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #66
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,230
I will personally mail a 6 pack of PBR to the new owner.

The same type of vision it took to put this together will be the same type of vision required to buy it. I hope you break even at least, but it wouldn't be the first time money was lost on a bike. Looks fun if you have the cash.
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #67
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 230
I sure enjoyed this thread, the puns and the projectr progress. Moose meat is growing on me too. I like it when people react to prodding. Who said our forums were boring?

The look of that original bike probably made most of us who love our bikes recoil. Shock value in spades. The second reaction for me was to do a quick mental calculation of the parts needed and the time - YURK!

A stripped down HP2 has some elemental appeal. If it can run it would turn heads.

Lee

Frostback screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 06:41 PM Reason: Typo
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #68
moosemeat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
More controversy for missionary position BMW purists

I was boared yesterday and was looking at the Termignoni 1098s pipes (drilled the rivets, cut out the cat's, and shortened them 5.5 inches, polished the tips) that were sitting in my shop. So I wanted to see how they would look on the sexy looking HP2e sitting there incomplete on the lift. Some zip ties and electrical tape to hold em in position and I think I like it. The look is very similar to the ass end of the hypermotard. I mite just hunt around on flea-bay for the whole tailsection and see if i can get to work. I like the grab bar, fin and raised tail light of the Hyper.

My boy at the custon exhaust shop can do the bending and welding of the mid pipes. I was also thinking of cutting open the stock header and cutting out the cat while I'm at it. Maybe a black creamic coating on the whole system to match the color scheme.
moosemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #69
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
I was boared yesterday and was looking at the Termignoni 1098s pipes (drilled the rivets, cut out the cat's, and shortened them 5.5 inches, polished the tips) that were sitting in my shop. So I wanted to see how they would look on the sexy looking HP2e sitting there incomplete on the lift. Some zip ties and electrical tape to hold em in position and I think I like it. The look is very similar to the ass end of the hypermotard. I mite just hunt around on flea-bay for the whole tailsection and see if i can get to work. I like the grab bar, fin and raised tail light of the Hyper.

My boy at the custon exhaust shop can do the bending and welding of the mid pipes. I was also thinking of cutting open the stock header and cutting out the cat while I'm at it. Maybe a black creamic coating on the whole system to match the color scheme.
I was told that de-catalysing will yield about 5 bhp. Please post pics and share the work with us.

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #70
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Good to hear the work continues, too many projects get abandoned before they get finished. (don't ask me how I know)

One question is bugging my though, and someone already asked this earlier.

Does the bike run now? What is missing from simply making it rideable?

--
Mikko
Old 12-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #71
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
So now this bike is for sale

I just say it on craiglist for 5600.00 ok I have missed all the chat about this but I don't understand why when u did a lot of hard work , would you not return the fram and everything else to it's original colour.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #72
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,230
^ 'cause it's a 500 dollar project bike and will never be a restoration worthy bike, no need to stay within the lines on this one
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #73
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
who looses more money? the guy buying one for full ding retail and selling it 3 years later for 6-7 grand less-
...or the guy who gets one for 500 and spends 2 years hunting down the parts, has a great fun project in the shop for them friday nites, sinks 5-6 grand for a unique bike no one else has.
Right on, moosemeat! I'm personally for sure going to have a beer (in the garage) for you the day you get that project running again.

--
Mikko
Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #74
moosemeat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
Right on, moosemeat! I'm personally for sure going to have a beer (in the garage) for you the day you get that project running again.

--
Mikko
bumpity bump bump!

All of the carbon fiber body panels are flying over the hump!

Got the last Touratech luggage rack in mail today.
Since I can't post picts someone send me their e-mail and I will send you pictures to link here. Bike looks pretty sick! I'm ready for the next wave of controversy.

moosemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #75
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,137
Here are moosemeat's pics.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote