Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #151
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
And I've been riding for 45 years and I can count on one hand the number of riders I have heard say that they had to lay 'er down. Dozens you say?? Dozens! And all long term harley riders. Oh yeah. Living up to stereotypes you say. Uh huh.
So... you're saying there are only five or less dumb asses you've encountered, then?

Work in a bike shop, you'll have to take your shoes off to count 'em within a year...

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #152
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
"It's not a matter of "IF" you lay it down, but "WHEN". "I see far too many riders down here that hold on for too long when looking at an impending collision and sacrifice... their legs, arms, and lives for the sake of wanting to be able to say 'I have never dropped my bike..." Erin Muccio

My reply: Keep parroting the myths and lies there Erin. Your "Lay it down" line is tired old bullshit that was outdated rubbish 50 years ago.

All I can think of is that guy from Russia, yankin' his foot out from under that tanker's wheel after layin' it down. Makes you wonder if he even applied the front brake.

Mark - klx678
Old 04-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #153
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
It was a dark rainy evening when I laid my steel horse down...fortunately I was in the garage nice and dry and was just curious how heavy my new to me GSA was and what recovery technique worked best for me, so I laid her down on some nice cardboard :)

I wonder if the thought goes back to the old western movies where the Duke pulls his trusty horse down so he can take up a fire position with a horse meat shield to cover him?

Can't think of a time when I'd low side a bike on purpose, except if I was James Dean and playing chicken racing for the cliff and I miss judged the timing to get on the binders.

Has pop culture and Hollywood played a role in the advent of this 'technique'?
I'm thinkin' maybe if, like'n those westerns, maybe the Commanches or Apaches all war painted up and all, was comin' at me slingin' them arrows an' maybe plunkin' with rifles towards me, I'd maybe lay 'er down. Then in mid slide pull my six shooter I had - 'cause'n I could conceal and carry one where I'm from an' since I still had it cause I was at the bar drinkin' an' we kin have one there now too - and start pickin' 'em off one after 'nother startin' with the one furthest away so'n those ones at the front wouldn't know I was killin' 'em off. Jus' like a turkey shoot. I'd likely wipe 'em out, the whole dang tribe, before I slid to a stop now I'm tellin' ya. Long 'fore they knowd what hit 'em.

That's when I'd be layin' 'er down! Yep, yep,.. yep...

Mark - klx678

markk53 screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 03:05 PM
Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #154
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murder face View Post
Even the top tier racers follow this thought. The GOAT uses it as a last resort:

Atsa soma seriouso blocka passa now!

Mark - klx678
Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #155
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Chuck Norris doesn't ever touch the brakes, everything else just gets the F*CK out of the way!

You know why Chuck Norris uses only electric start bikes now don't you...

Mark - klx678
Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #156
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
Oooh Me! Me! I've got a "laid'er down" story...

The year was 1986, and I was astrise a shiny new Yamaha IT200, zipping along a forest service road in north Georgia. Ahhh, the sweet sound of the 2 stroke- getting gears and pretending to be Bob Hannah.

I came around a sharp curve and met a rail buggy and a quad riding abreast toward me. There was a gap on the very right side of the road, and just as I pointed in that direction, another 4-wheeler came up beside the buggy so that the whole road was blocked.

To be fair, I was traveling at the reasonable speeds one would expect from a 15 year old boy (pretending to be Bob Hannha on a new IT200). In a fraction of a second I attempted to "lay'er down", but no! Once sideways, going that fast, the bike caught traction and highsided.

My right leg was caught between the crankcase of my bike and the front rack of the quad, and my left knee must have hit the other riders face as I was catapaulted through the air like some neon-logoed rocket. I landed about thirty feet past the quad, and when my ears finally stopped ringing, all I could hear was the quad rider screaming, "My nose! My nose!"

I began to check myself: arms, legs...and as I picked up my right leg, my foot flopped to the ground at a very unatural angle. In a fraction of second, my dreams of becoming a dancer were crushed into the red north Georgia clay.

Oh, damn you Bob Hannha, damn you!

But can you still play the Violin?

Mark - klx678
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #157
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
But can you still play the Violin?
You mean "fiddle" don't you?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #158
larry sellers
rip razzle roar

Oddometer: 36

from: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574094 What happened here ? (harley goes down suddenly)

If you're gonna lay 'er down, at least wear some decent gear.

larry sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #159
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultravoyageant View Post
See, dude should have been riding Megaforce and he would have been all right;

awesome
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #160
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,531
Walking out to my R90 today, I saw some thug-wannabe talking to a (what I assume to be) professor standing by the motorcycles. I got close and heard the professor ask where the thugs motorcycle was. The thug said "Yeah, I have a Kawasaki and was going 100 yesterday by the lake and had to lay 'er down. I rolled and jumped and rolled and jumped. No scratches!" The professor was hooked and started laughing "Really?! Wow!" The guys story got better and better.

I and the Harley-dude next to me suited up and chuckled to each other as the guy was talking about going 100 on one of the side roads of Rolla, MO. Of course, the thug and professor turned and stared at me when I started the bike as if I was supposed to wheelie out of there at 100, too. Sorry, can't do it..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #161
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
You mean "fiddle" don't you?

Missed that Georgia reference there...

Mark - klx678
Old 04-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #162
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Walking out to my R90 today, ...

Made me think, you could put wheels on the valve covers... maybe even little disc brakes. That way you could "lay 'er down" and still be braking...

Heck maybe even hook up the ABS on newer BMWS!

Mark - klx678
Old 04-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #163
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,985
Last tuesday I had just finished mowing my lawn and jumped on my scooter to run 2 miles down the road for a gallon of iced tea. Had on shorts and a wife beater,my mowing attire, but did wear my fullface. As i rounded a turn I caught a glimpse of a municipal truck pulled off to the side of the road and the next thing I knew I was sliding down the road.. It happened so fast I never moved from the riding position until the slid was almost completed. By this time I couldn't tell if cars were coming in my lane so I kicked the scooter away at the last minute and rolledover my shoulders and up on my feet while still moving. Thats when I realized there was hydraulic oil everywhere. Tho truck had blown a pto line. I could barely stand up without my feet sliding out from under me. The scoot was still running so I tried to pick it up, and this is the funny part,as I picked it up my feet slid out from under me and as I started to fall I opened the throttle and got drug accross the street into a yard. Luckily I got it under controll without falling again. The truck driver ran over to check on me and I didn't have a mark on me and only a few minor scrapes on the scoot.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #164
ziepan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 608
^^ dude that Sucks... glad you didn't get any major damage.
ziepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #165
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Last tuesday I had just finished mowing my lawn and jumped on my scooter to run 2 miles down the road for a gallon of iced tea. Had on shorts and a wife beater,my mowing attire, but did wear my fullface. As i rounded a turn I caught a glimpse of a municipal truck pulled off to the side of the road and the next thing I knew I was sliding down the road.. It happened so fast I never moved from the riding position until the slid was almost completed. By this time I couldn't tell if cars were coming in my lane so I kicked the scooter away at the last minute and rolledover my shoulders and up on my feet while still moving. Thats when I realized there was hydraulic oil everywhere. Tho truck had blown a pto line. I could barely stand up without my feet sliding out from under me. The scoot was still running so I tried to pick it up, and this is the funny part,as I picked it up my feet slid out from under me and as I started to fall I opened the throttle and got drug accross the street into a yard. Luckily I got it under controll without falling again. The truck driver ran over to check on me and I didn't have a mark on me and only a few minor scrapes on the scoot.
Sort of like when I hit the clay/dirt mix on the country road where the farmer had been pulling out on the road to turn while plowing the field beside the road - one instant I'm upright, next instant I'm on the ground seeing my triple throwing a trail of sparks from the pipe sliding down the road on its left side... Kind of an interesting show at midnight, but scary as heck when you don't know how bad the damage might be and the long walk to some unknown house in the middle of the night!

But neither of us did it intentionally of course...

Mark - klx678