Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #241
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
...if your thought process was "oh crap, I crashed this bike because of my mistake or lack of experience or skill and I'm too macho to admit it so I'll tell everyone I had to lay 're down", you fall into the 'I had to lay 'er down' group.
fixt
Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #242
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran Noob View Post
fixt
Appreciated.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #243
tlub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
oldie but not a goodie

I do remember, about 43 years ago when I first learned to ride, this 'laying it down to avoid the crash' (??) was something I heard more than once. As in "when you've been riding longer, you really should learn how to lay it down". It mystified me then, and I thought it did not bear careful analysis (but then I ended up being a scientist). But brakes were horrible then, either through design, lack of maintenance, or both, and tires were horrible too. So maybe metal sliding on pavement seemed a reasonable alternative to really crappy brakes. (Although I don't think it really was, even then.) And there was no MSF. And it was cool to have a chopper with NO front brake. I also remember being cautioned by some (generally those who lusted after the chopper) to 'be really careful with the front brake, and practice sliding with the rear locked up'. In fact, use of the front brake was viewed as a near-certain loss of control disaster.
Really.
There was a LOT of misinformation out there. None of it made sense to me, and I am alive because of it. But I still occasionally hear that nonsense from someone who either doesn't ride or hasn't since that time. From what I read here, in the more folklore-centered part of the 2-wheel crowd, some of that nonsense and folklore persists.
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #244
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlub View Post
I do remember, about 43 years ago when I first learned to ride, this 'laying it down to avoid the crash' (??) was something I heard more than once. As in "when you've been riding longer, you really should learn how to lay it down". It mystified me then, and I thought it did not bear careful analysis (but then I ended up being a scientist). But brakes were horrible then, either through design, lack of maintenance, or both, and tires were horrible too. So maybe metal sliding on pavement seemed a reasonable alternative to really crappy brakes. (Although I don't think it really was, even then.) And there was no MSF. And it was cool to have a chopper with NO front brake. I also remember being cautioned by some (generally those who lusted after the chopper) to 'be really careful with the front brake, and practice sliding with the rear locked up'. In fact, use of the front brake was viewed as a near-certain loss of control disaster.
Really.
There was a LOT of misinformation out there. None of it made sense to me, and I am alive because of it. But I still occasionally hear that nonsense from someone who either doesn't ride or hasn't since that time. From what I read here, in the more folklore-centered part of the 2-wheel crowd, some of that nonsense and folklore persists.
I assumed the point was to hit the obstacle with the bike tires instead of the headlight.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #245
Recreateme
One Among the Fence

Oddometer: 71
'Laying her down' is also perpetuated by movie's and TV. Every movie you watch with 'thugs on motorcycles' seem to 'lay her down' at the slightest sign of trouble or popped clutch. I assume movies do this because its more dramatic and exciting, but it also kinda makes you think bikes and bikers are terrible and dangerous and no one can control them lol

I've seen tons of scenes of bikes flying down the road approaching an obstacle and instead of even trying to brake, or steer they just bail and lay her down, sliding on there arse off screen.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #246
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recreateme View Post
'Laying her down' is also perpetuated by movie's and TV. Every movie you watch with 'thugs on motorcycles' seem to 'lay her down' at the slightest sign of trouble or popped clutch. I assume movies do this because its more dramatic and exciting, but it also kinda makes you think bikes and bikers are terrible and dangerous and no one can control them lol

I've seen tons of scenes of bikes flying down the road approaching an obstacle and instead of even trying to brake, or steer they just bail and lay her down, sliding on there arse off screen.

No, no, you have it all wrong.

They slide under the obstacle, then with a sliding start that erects the bike, they resume the chase.
Of course, as you might have anticipated, after these manoeuvres, the bike is still as immaculate as when it rolled down the line.

Now, they should teach us that at the course!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #247
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
It's of little surprise that "had ta lay er down" is perpetuated by the general riding public and media when you consider a large part of the riding community really doesn't possess adequate situational awareness skills, and braking skills to avoid the crash in the first place. Then the crash happens, the media asks the rider, if possible, and the response comes back "had to lay it down" like it was a decisive, chosen, purposeful choice. Actually it is a panic reaction to a lack of skills, and very few riders will admit this, but rather give it away as if it's someone else's fault.

I recall reading in the local paper last year, a rider reported to the investigating officer he had to lay it down. The non-riding public, and much of the riding public reads it like it was an actual skill. Nothing but a line of BS.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #248
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
I've never thought going under a vehicle was a good idea. I think I'll keep braking until the last second and go over, which I have done before. If I had known exactly what she was going to do, I could have steered under her and avoided the crash altogether, which I almost did. If I had panicked and 'laid her down' I would have gone under the front bumper. As it was, I went over the rear of the car and was not injured except for bruised heels from when they hit the ground.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #249
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 112
I remember the era when a good front brake would easily overcome the traction of the tires. It WAS a challenge to get stopped quickly without losing the front on most of the tires of the day.

I saw many bikes worn to the point of retirement with good tread on the rock hard, dry rotted stock OEM front tire.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #250
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
I saw many bikes worn to the point of retirement with good tread on the rock hard, dry rotted stock OEM front tire.
That's why back "in the day" the first thing you replaced on a new bike was the tires. I never rode on stock tires back "in the day." Not more than it took me to get from the dealer to the house anyway.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #251
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Started riding in 1998 and now have 260K under my belt, with never a crash, unless deep sand in Mexico counts.

If it ever comes to it, I think I'll brake until the bitter end. I just grin when someone asks me if I ever had to "lay 'er down."

Cheers,
Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #252
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Typical Faux news story, full of misleading, incorrect .

What's the problem?
However... "fair and balanced".
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #253
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
I heard the same thing on FNC today and searched for this thread smelling BS. A friend of mine (who doesn't ride) asked me if they taught us how to "lay it down" in the safety class I took. Um... no.
Anyone that watches Faux Nooze has already "laid it down"...
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #254
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
There is/was a technique; lock the rear wheel if possible, and throw the handlebars to full lock away from whichever side you want the bike to fall on.

The "if possible" above is in reference to the fact that flat track bikes had no brakes, and I've heard that this laying it down technique was considered to be preferable to running over a downed rider in front of you at speed. With no brakes at all it probably is better to "lay 'er down".
Any old time racers who remember racing in the 60's care to comment?

(Old thread. I probably already made that comment)
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #255
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
My take on this relates to my 42+ years of riding (over 250,000) miles, averaging about 10K miles per season for the past 20 years, riding in all sorts of conditions, and I have never had to lay it down. My bikes have been down four times on the street in 42 years, but not one time did I have to lay it down. In fact. All four were primarily my own fault. I've been an MSF instructor for 22 years and I still hear stories about the lie of laying it down. Just last week had a non - rider ask about taking the course, asking me " when do we learn about laying it down?". I said never, because having to lay it down has nothing to do with real riding. The myth and BS is still out there.

Andyvh1959 screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 09:29 AM
Andyvh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote