User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #76
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Laying it down

Asked by a student (not me) at the MSF rider's course "Are you going to teach us to "lay it down"?

Answered by instructor "We teach riding, not wrecking".
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #77
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
Point retracted, dakez. I am not here to malign the corporation itself, so yes the choice of words "unoffical corporate philosophy" were poorly chosen.

I do, however, spend enough time in their shops to know that regardless of what the mo co says in their documents and other releases, some of their staff either by overt statements or by simple omission allow a very irresponsible riding and lax safety attitude to persist.

I am sure it still happens as I still hear the ridiculous talk going on between some riders.

The "flip over the handlebars if you use the front brake" one kills me
Have you ever tried to do a stoppie on a cruiser?

Where I work (a large store) the largest display of helmets is Shoei and Arai. Granted there is also a display of DOT approved Half-Helmets for those that prefer them or those that just can't get beyond the Image sheep phase. NO Novelty Skid lids to be found however.

Times they are a changin'

Ride Safe Ride Often.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #78
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbh View Post
Easy, did it several times as a NOOB-lock up the front wheel when it's not straight, don't let off. Down in a flash!
I didn't lay it down, it LAID me down.
Ian, Iowa

That's not "layin' er down"... That's a "face plant".

"Layin' er down" Is locking the rear and having it kick out to the side in a controlled fall to get the bike to slide broadside reeeeal easy so you can use them shock absorbers to take up some-a dat impact!! Don't cha Kno nuttin? . You ain't supposed ta use da front brakes on a motorcycle lessin' ya climbin' a hill and don't make 'er all da way to the top... That theres what dem front brakes is for!!!"
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #79
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Your bad! You'd have done better to look at the helmets, ignoring all the matte and black, to see that they actually were decent helmets (labels inside), then told the newbie that it isn't an automatic that he will "lay 'er down" any number of times and the sales guy was full of BS, but his brain is still worth protecting - even if only with a half shell.
So what good is your brain if the rest of your face is scraped off?

I've seen numerous Harley shops sell those cheap ass skid lids(~$50) with a warning label in them stating they are not for highway use. I'm sure if I wanted to I coould crush the sides together with my hands. Why even sell such crap in the first place? I seen them being used on the road. I had a guy(Harley Pirate) tell me he could replace my Shoei RF1000(which his drunk wife knocked off the bike when she knocked the bike over) with as good a helmet for $50. Yeah right...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #80
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
I laid my bicycle down as a kid. Car turned infront of me and I could avoid it as there was cars coming on the opposite lane too, didnt help much that I was going way too fast and only had rear brakes on the bike and the braking power of a street bike tire was shitty at best... car just continued like nothing happene.

Road rash ftw, I did get some "ooh and aaah's" in school from other students and girls, you know you were the ultimate badass in middle school. But I did make a mental note, not to slide on my skin on the road again and to avoid "laying it down". However, I would rather lay it down than take a highside.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #81
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
However, I would rather lay it down than take a highside.
I made that same point a few pages back. My accident happened so fast that there was little to be done. Looking back, I would have sustained a lot less damage if I had low-sided the thing. Not that I advocate "lay er down" but in that case, it would have been the best option.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #82
debueller
Has a thing 4Fungirl

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Not Appearing View Post
I laid her down to save the nuns and children from my 700lbs of American iron. The EMTs patched me up and the only thing broken on the Superglide was my front brake handle which was cool because I only use my rear brake.
LMFAO

Sig line material, there.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #83
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I had a guy(Harley Pirate) tell me he could replace my Shoei RF1000(which his drunk wife knocked off the bike when she knocked the bike over) with as good a helmet for $50. Yeah right...

I hate people I dont know fucking with my helmet...

If Im away from the bike it gets locked to the top case by the d-ring. The bike could get knocked over and the helmet wont hit the ground.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #84
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
See... now that's funny!
And it signals the start of a true Harley/cruiser bashing thread.
Not that theres anything wrong with that.

I HAVE laid it down whilst racing flattrack,no ft brake what so ever.
You either get good at laying it down or get good at hitting things.
Its the first thing a speedway rider learns,if you cant lay it down on command you dont get your racing license.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #85
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Hi, my name is Marc and I "laid er down".

It started as a casual thing, I would bomb down the trails in Soledad Canyon almost every weekend on my 1971 Suzuki TS 90.

I started to realize that it was getting out of hand when I would fantasize that I was racing in Baja and keep the throttle pinned around blind curves on a trail that I had ridden (literally) a hundred times. I knew it was stupid, but all my friends would ride fast on blind trails too.

They say you can't start to recover until you hit bottom, and for me that day was Feb 23rd, 1975.

Late in the afternoon I was riding along on an old mine road that followed the contours halfway up to a ridge on the right and a canyon on the left. Sure I was going fast, but I thought I was in control. I came around a right hand curve that led into a side canyon before coming back out to the main canyon. This time there had been some heavy rain mid week and the trail was completely washed out...

I grabbed the brakes and started to scrub off speed, but I realized that there was no way I was going to stop before the edge. I threw the bike down on the right side and sprawled myself onto the dirt, the bikes' momentum carried it away from me and I clawed at the ground to no avail as I slid over the edge like Wile E. Coyote in slow motion.

Fortunately, the ravine was only about ten feet deep and I landed on my feet on some sand and gravel. My bike had gone farther than I and was laying on it's side, handlebars bent, tank dented, front fender busted.

Once I realized that I was unhurt I started to think about the fading sunlight and how I would get out of there and back to the trailer. I couldn't climb up and out with the bike and there was about an 8' drop to the sandy canyon bottom. Well there was nothing else to do than to roll the bike to the edge and just let it fall! A few kicks to the handle bar, pull off the remains of the fender, a couple of kicks to clear the motor and we're back in business.

It's been years, but I still take it one day at a time. I recognize that I have a disease and I know that it only takes one long pull on that throttle and I could be right back on my face in the dirt.

Thank you for listening and for your support .
My name is Marc, I'm an Adventure Rider and a recovering "Laid er Downer".
At age 53 Im considering slowing it down a little,too slow and theres no point to the ride. Ive come close to giant drop away disasters while trail riding but have always skated by the skin of my teeth.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #86
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbanflood View Post
I allways get a kick out of that line. In the movie "On any Sunday" they discuss the reason. I don't recall entirely but I think they talk about flat track racing and how much better it is than high-siding. In truth I would say that my footpegs and handlebars scraping on the street had more stopping power than my 61' Panheads brakes . These days I'll take tripple disks, ABS and some good rubber.
NO front brake= lay it down or run into things,or high side into a wooden fence.
Dang I miss doing that kind of stuff.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #87
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
When I was just a kid I learned about the "lay er down" on my bicycle because I too had been unable to stop fast enough a few times. I put a front brake on my Sting Ray that I adapted from a 10 speed after I drilled and spot faced the fork. I was the only kid with that set up.

Later on my Suzuki TS 90 I really enjoyed demonstrating the power of the front brake by making a point of riding down any hill that I couldn't climb. I would work my way around to the top and take the fall line down, really slowly!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #88
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
Asked by a student (not me) at the MSF rider's course "Are you going to teach us to "lay it down"?

Answered by instructor "We teach riding, not wrecking".

Kind of like what one of my Industrial Arts education professors told us...

"Never demonstrate the wrong way to do something in an effort to tell students what not to do... it might just happen to you."

I may tell, but I never show. I still have all my fingers intact to this day.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #89
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
So what good is your brain if the rest of your face is scraped off?

I've seen numerous Harley shops sell those cheap ass skid lids(~$50) with a warning label in them stating they are not for highway use. I'm sure if I wanted to I coould crush the sides together with my hands. Why even sell such crap in the first place? I seen them being used on the road. I had a guy(Harley Pirate) tell me he could replace my Shoei RF1000(which his drunk wife knocked off the bike when she knocked the bike over) with as good a helmet for $50. Yeah right...

Apparently you aren't familiar with at least trying to get a new rider to try to minimize injury?

If you didn't bother reading, I said if the shop is selling genuine H-D brand helmets they are made by HJC and KBC. Those are worn by professional racers of all types world wide if you don't also realize that. Second, if you can't get a new rider to wear a full face, wouldn't you at least try to get them to wear an open face or a half shell at the least?

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

As for your helmet, obviously the guy was full of the usual biker lifestyle bullshit. I hope you did get something out of the whole thing, but I have a feeling not. My condolences for your RF1000 and the bike. I'd be pissed too. That's why I seldom set my helmet anywhere that it might fall in a restaurant or on my bike - Murphy's Law and all y'know.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #90
themenz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
Bluhduh Laying it down with a pro cam!

This guy in Russia decided to lay it down and it kinda worked. At least he was ATGATT.

Course he ignored the warning guy on the right (7 seconds), took his eyes off the road, passing on the right, etc.

Deserved to get his ass kicked by the driver in the wife beater.