Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #121
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I'll bet that Katie Couric is an expert at threshold braking.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #122
bwphoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Ah crap I missed it. Must've been laughing at all the ridiculousness in this thread.

bwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #123
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

From a forum on facebook moments ago:

"It's not a matter of "IF" you lay it down, but "WHEN". "I see far too many riders down here that hold on for too long when looking at an impending collision and sacrifice... their legs, arms, and lives for the sake of wanting to be able to say 'I have never dropped my bike..." Erin Muccio

My reply: Keep parroting the myths and lies there Erin. Your "Lay it down" line is tired old bullshit that was outdated rubbish 50 years ago.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #124
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Most of what passed for layin' 'er down when I was riding in the seventies amounted to:

1) Ignore the front brake because it was dangerous and would "flip you over the handlebars".
2) Stomp the pee-wally out of the rear brake if a threat emerges.
3) Nearly all bikes will swing around after a few seconds of this abuse and unceremoniously lowside unless you get off the brakes after the slide has fully developed in which case they will disasterously highside.
4) The recounting of it at the bar is what turns it into a planned maneuver.

beemerphile screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 03:38 PM
beemerphile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #125
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

"I'v seen many situations where a rider HAD to lay it down....It's not a mentality, it's foresight. "Let me think....my bike or my leg? Gee, that's a tough one...."
Erin Muccio

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 05:09 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #126
cwadej
Keeper of the truth

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
"I'v seen many situations where a rider HAD to lay it down....It's not a mentality, it's foresight. "Let me think....my bike or my leg? Gee, that's a tough one...."
Erin Muccio

You've got to post a link so we can go enjoy the idiocy. And let them know what a load of crap it is
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #127
ebbanflood
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 299
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Most of what passed for layin' 'er down when I was riding in the seventies amounted to:

1) Ignore the front brake because it was dangerous and would "flip you over the handlebars".
2) Stomp the pee-wally out of the rear brake if a threat emerges.
3) Nearly all bikes will swing around after a few seconds of this abuse and unceremoniously lowside unless you get off the brakes after the slide has fully developed in which case they will disasterously highside.
4) The recounting of it at the bar is what turns it into a planned maneuver.
This is so true..... I rode dirtbikes every day of my life from age 12 to age 15. I rode in the sand jumping dunes and riding like a lunatic every day. The rule was the front brake was the enemy. When I was 15, I took my sisters Honda CJ 360 (not a misprint) for my first street ride. I was riding like an ass and passing a car on a bad corner over the double yellow when a car came the other way. I panicked and stood on the rear brake. The bike slid around and I waited just long enough to let go to get the perfect high-side and 150 yard slide on the asphalt. Luckily I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. It took the doctor 4 1/2 hours to get all the asphalt out of my shoulder and chest. The best part of this disaster was (while I was in a wheelchair for 6 weeks) everyone saying " you didn't just lay it down". NOT you did not know how to ride a streetbike, NOT you are too young with NO experience. The best was, I found out years later that the reason the doctor did not give me any pain meds in this 4 1/2 hour ordeal, is that when he was done he said " That kid will never ride another motorcycle". Over 2 dozen motorcycles later.... I am not laying it down.
ebbanflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #128
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veho View Post
You've got to post a link so we can go enjoy the idiocy. And let them know what a load of crap it is
It is Bikerpost.com on facebook. The thread is: Do you have an engine guard on your bike? - BikersPost.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/BikersPost/posts/215830268429154

There is at least one other posting about layin 'er down.

NOTE: All the fun replies are on the fb wall. (not in the discussion thread itself) It is always good entertainment so if you are on fb by all means sign up with BikerPost.com

Another fun thread is:
Am "I" a biker OR a rider? - BikersPost.com

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 05:08 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #129
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Erin Muccio

My reply: Oh DO TELL!! When is it good to crash to avoid a crash? By all means please explain this to everyone. Don't be shy. You are not the only one that thinks this is somehow a good idea. It is idiotic, stupid and indefensible!!!

Erin, Sorry if I am come off harsh here but riders like you sharing your wisdom (or lack there of) is just wrong. Please go get some professional riders training so you can be reprogrammed to the art of riding NOT crashing your motorcycle. I suppose the next thing you are going to tell me is to not use the front brake. (?)

Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #130
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
My reply: Oh DO TELL!! When is it good to crash to avoid a crash? By all means please explain this to everyone. Don't be shy. You are not the only one that thinks this is somehow a good idea. It is idiotic, stupid and indefensible!!!

Erin, Sorry if I am come off harsh here but riders like you sharing your wisdom (or lack there of) is just wrong. Please go get some professional riders training so you can be reprogrammed to the art of riding NOT crashing your motorcycle. I suppose the next thing you are going to tell me is to not use the front brake. (?)

Oh, admit it -- you love it, you big meanie.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #131
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,241
It was a dark rainy evening when I laid my steel horse down...fortunately I was in the garage nice and dry and was just curious how heavy my new to me GSA was and what recovery technique worked best for me, so I laid her down on some nice cardboard :)

I wonder if the thought goes back to the old western movies where the Duke pulls his trusty horse down so he can take up a fire position with a horse meat shield to cover him?

Can't think of a time when I'd low side a bike on purpose, except if I was James Dean and playing chicken racing for the cliff and I miss judged the timing to get on the binders.

Has pop culture and Hollywood played a role in the advent of this 'technique'?
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #132
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
I wonder if the thought goes back to the old western movies where the Duke pulls his trusty horse down so he can take up a fire position with a horse meat shield to cover him?
Moto-LEO's are still taught this very thing. (not layin 'er down while moving but laying the stopped bike down and using it for cover)
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #133
murder face
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Even the top tier racers follow this thought. The GOAT uses it as a last resort:
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #134
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Chuck Norris was riding to IHOP to get the Senior Citizen special when some squid crossed over the double yellow. Chuck didn't ease off or alter his line, he just made eye contact and the squid "laid er down".

Chuck Norris; old enough to get the senior discount, and still man enough to roundhouse kick you through the window and then 3-way all night long with your girlfriend and your mom after your lame ass tried to make a joke about the Senior Citizen thing.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #135
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I have hesitated posting because "laying it down" is an absurd concept.......

But it saved my ass once, wasn't intentional but happened anyway.

I had less than 6 months riding experience and I was out riding some logging roads in pouring down rain. Going about 25mph around a sweeping turn I saw a cable across the road about 50 feet ahead of me. Trees and big bolders lined both sides of the road, nowhere to go but straight, hit the brakes but the mud was like ice, front end immediately washed out, I went down low side and shot under the cable still going 10-15 mph. I finally stopped about 10 feet past the cable. If I did not "lay it down", it would have ended badly.

Now I could probably stop in time.............................................. . or highside and fly into it at speed if I actually tried to "lay it down".