Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
blazerjeremy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Any Nevada Inmates near the TAT care to give me a Mud report?

I am going to attempt the western half of the TAT starting this friday evening from Salina Ut. But here in Utah we have been having a very wet spring. Any thoughts on if Nevada will be one giant mud pit? I will be riding solo and only have 10 days to make it to the coast.
blazerjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
blazerjeremy OP
Adventurer

Spot tracker

Here is a link to my Spot tracking page for anyone who wants to follow along.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0lAN0KY83lE2MQ9M0YiiOKK8ShbHt8diR

There will be no progress on it until I leave on friday afternoon.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
Just based on experience, you can forget about Oregon. probably still 15'-20' of snow in the Cascades, with all the storms this year may not have snow out till late June.

IT'S ALL GOOD!

D-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
blazerjeremy OP
Adventurer

oregon

So How much of the trail in Oregon is still un-ride-able? Just the mountain passes or large swaths of the trail? I had hoped 90% would be rideable and I would just bypass the high sections.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
arashi
underclocked

Oddometer: 7
Northern Nevada

It's been wet, but most of the muddy roads become passable with just a day of sunlight. The problem is the deep snow drifts in the shade at higher elevations.
arashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerjeremy View Post
So How much of the trail in Oregon is still un-ride-able? Just the mountain passes or large swaths of the trail? I had hoped 90% would be rideable and I would just bypass the high sections.
Last week I found roads blocked at 3000-4000ft elevation (more or less), depending on solar orientation. Its been very wet and cold so I don't expect much melting has happened since I've been out.
My experience has been on roads in the Cascades close to Bend. Further south the conditions may be different but I would guess not different enough to make the route passable.

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
canyncarvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerjeremy View Post
I don't have an exact TAT map for Oregon, but I know the general route, from McDermitt to Lakeview 'fer instance.

That is a LOT of high country..miles of nothing. Yes. It's been a wet/cold spring here. Record snowfalls in the mountains: Over 600" at Crater Lake. Yep..that's five feet with an added 'zero' to the inch number. That's not on the GROUND..but cumulative snowfall numbers.

The problem with '..just bypass the high sections.' is, how exactly? Hiway 95 from McDermitt to Burns Junction..over to Burns..south to Lakeview is a bypass 'fer sure..and nothing to do with the TAT.

You've read of the B.C. couple that got lost taking a 'backroad' trip through similar country?

No..you won't be in a 'van'...but it IS pretty dang harsh out that way.

A suggestion: PM wachs. He rides SE Oregon a LOT. He will know more about that area than anyone is my bet. If he says, 'Whoa!' you should reconsider.
canyncarvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,515
I have no idea where the TAT goes through

My brother is working on the Ruby Pipeline just South of Lakeview, Or. He took these pics yesterday

I'd stay below 6,800'

Another shot from 2 weeks ago

wibby screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 03:53 PM
wibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
blazerjeremy OP
Adventurer

I going to take off and see where I get stopped

Thank you all for your reports. I now know I won't be able to make the whole trail. But I think I will take off this Saturday and see How far I can make it. I know I will hit snow and be turned around. Any bets on where Then later in the summer I will just pickup from there and finish the trail. Obviously I could bypass the whole trail on the highway and make Port Orford. Thats not what I am looking to do. Maybe I can get half way across Nevada? Maybe the mud will stop me still in Utah. Who knows
Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
If you are starting in Salina, I think you would be OK as far as Richfield, but I can't believe that there still isn't snow and bad mud over the section of the Paiute trail.

Patrol Dog gave the Nevada section a go in June of 2009, when the area had similar late season precipitation. I seem to recall him spending a lot of time picking his bike up out of the mud.

We hit snow on the TAT in Oregon last year during the first week of July. We made it through, but it just indicated to me that it was good that we weren't much earlier.

Like you said, you may as well take off and ride what you can. The trail isn't going away in the next few months and you can always ride what you missed later.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
blazerjeremy OP
Adventurer

Yeah I know that area very well. It's my back yard and I ride it alot. There is gravel road to the south of that section that will be snow free. I planned to bypass the Paiute section to the south. Only cuts 10 or 15 miles off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
If you are starting in Salina, I think you would be OK as far as Richfield, but I can't believe that there still isn't snow and bad mud over the section of the Paiute trail.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
We hit snow on the TAT in Oregon last year during the first week of July. We made it through, but it just indicated to me that it was good that we weren't much earlier.
Last year and this year don't compare...I rode as much this winter as I didn't ride last winter. ( Rode a lot last year...still mud and snow this year!)

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Any updates on the ride and the trail conditions? I see that you made it to one of my favorite restaurants.

Looks like you might have been able to get a meal at the Electrolux Cafe in Baker, but then ended up for a hot dog at Walker's in Fairview?