User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
drex
So Cal

Oddometer: 115
Laugh Wow!

Great riding, wonderful pics -- thanks for taking the time to share!

I love the desolation of Baja -- for them I'm sad that the tourists are reluctant to go -- but in a selfish way it's kinda nice. I'm conflicted.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #17
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by drex View Post
Great riding, wonderful pics -- thanks for taking the time to share!

I love the desolation of Baja -- for them I'm sad that the tourists are reluctant to go -- but in a selfish way it's kinda nice. I'm conflicted.
I agree-it's definitely a conflicted feeling. It's eerie walking the streets and seeing no one. OTOH, rooms are dirt cheap and plentiful!

One thing is for certain, I can't wait to go again.

Steve
Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Str8lin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Planning on heading down again spring break 2012. Want to do same run but add the San Francisquito dirt leg. Gotta spend one night in San Ignacio as well.

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8lin View Post
Planning on heading down again spring break 2012. Want to do same run but add the San Francisquito dirt leg. Gotta spend one night in San Ignacio as well.

Cheers!
+1 on San Ignacio! Would love to hang out here for a bit.

Steve
Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #20
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, guys..thought you'd like to see more pix of our adventure...

Finally back onto the beaten path and time to air up!

I was overcome with joy at the thought of not having my fillings rattled out of my mouth! Either that, or at my advanced age, I was ready for a nap!

As we headed south, the cacti became more unique and fascinating!

Near the turn off for Mulege, the map was consulted...don't remember exactly why, but probably to check for gas. With the KTM we had to watch fairly closely. Of course, the big GSA didn't have to watch gas supplies as closely.

In fact, this was one of my bigger fill ups...I never really paid much attention as I knew i could ride a solid 350 miles before needing fuel, and in Baja, while there are some scarce sections, fuel was always available...

Anyway, after an afternoon of wind and heat, the Sea of Cortez burst into view near Mulege!

Pretty spectacular and my mediocre photographs don't do it justice!

After snapping a few pix here we descended into town and found a nice hotel. Rich has stayed here before and we got a rate of $20 per nite.
The hotel was a nice place-the wing we are in seems unfinished on the outside, but the rooms were large, clean and well kept. Plus the hotel had a great little restaurant and bar. I liked it here!

The finished wing...
[IMG]
http://r12rtpilot.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Mexico-2011/P1020535/1252364393_uxkk7-L.jpg[/IMG]

The unfinished side...

Check out all the GSAs. There was a group of Mexican nationals staying here and they had some type of suspension/oil leak problem. Steve dove right in and tried to help. It's good to have partners with mechanical savvy...

In the end, the problem was not fixable with the tools on hand. But the fellowship with other riders was outstanding!

Also outstanding was the food. There was no menu. The owner of the hotel came out and said would you like meat or fish. We said, "Both." We weren't disappointed!

Check out the plate of fish and scallops. I love scallops which was good, because they were on every menu we ate from and they were inexpensive. A great reason to eat in Baja!!

More soon!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #21
SP's Dad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
That would be Bahia de Los Angeles, and the hotel is Costa del Sol.

Victoria and her staff can cook with the best of them!
SP's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #22
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP's Dad View Post
That would be Bahia de Los Angeles, and the hotel is Costa del Sol.

Victoria and her staff can cook with the best of them!
SP's Dad: Many Thanks for filling in the details for me and correcting an error....I had Mulege on the brain...for some reason I didn't jot down the name of the place-or Victoria's either. You are right, she can cook. I gained 8 lbs on this trip, and this meal was one of the reasons...

A side note-we had breakfast here before heading out the next day, which was ok, but the interesting thing was watching Victoria bargain with a local fisherman over a couple of very large lobsters. We knew what was for dinner that night!

More pix later...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
Trey650
Are We There Yet?

Oddometer: 1,846
You should of had the Lobster.

We'll be there in a few days.
Class 10 Cage
Save $5 on Smugmug!! Use code cQNk2QFrIDFCo
Trey650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #24
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, the lobster looks good, but that kitchen set up is def not Costa del Sol and the cook is most def not Victoria! Here are more pics of our trip. I hope you enjoy!

Good times over dinner at the hotel:

I think this dog is more into Hondas...

Here's the proof...either that or he has been reading the Shinko thread and has formulated his own opinion!

A colorful little scene in the del Sol's dining room:

When in Bahia de Los Angeles, stay at the Costa del Sol...what a great little place-wish I could have stayed longer, but there were miles to do, and many more sights to see!

A little low speed one handed photography. Kids,do not attempt at home...

Down the road apiece, I believe near Guerro Negro a break for something cold to drink. Temps were hot and conditions windy. Nice to get off the bike and relax a few minutes...BTW, what happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico!

Ed catches up on some light reading!

Another contented Mexican dog-fortunately he was too relaxed to get up and pee on my tire!

The next stretch of the ride was not particularly note-worthy other than the Army guy waving his rifle at me for stopping to take a picture at the big base in Guerro Negro. I really wanted a pic of the demarcation line between Norte and Sur, but it wasn't going to happen. At least this excited soldier kept his finger off the trigger of his weapon. But on second thought, since he didn't have a magazine in his rifle, at the most I only had one round to worry about!

Anyway, temps were hot, and the scenery uninspiring as we rolled through Vizcaino enroute to San Ignacio!

More later,

Steve

AdventurePoser screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 01:30 PM
AdventurePoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #25
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

On with the ride...hope you enjoy the pix and words!

Check out Ed's awesome KTM I never did figure out exactly what he's carrying in that giant bag, but whatever it was, the bike handled it well!

Every mile I rode my GSA, the more I fell in love with it. Of all the Beemers I've had, the '11 rocks in every way!

We got back on the road, and soon found ourselves in San Ignacio. SI became my favorite city of the ride. It is tranquil, pretty, has a sense of history, and there is water here. In all, San Ignacio spoke to me at a level I cannot articulate. I think I could live there...

We attracted "Space Dude," and "WWF" as soon as we parked. Cute kids, but I wanted to know why they weren't in school.

Like kids everywhere, once they knew we'd be here a few minutes, they brought out their favorite game!

I think this mission is the oldest in Baja...

Remember those little privet bushes you planted around the house for landscaping? Yep, you guessed it... The kept the Zocalo nice and cool!

San Ignacio is a true desert oasis...

After cooling down from the high temps of the road, and taking a few pix, we got back on the road, this time heading toward Mulege!

First, back on the coast at Santa Rosalia!

After cruising the town, we settled here. A beautiful hotel, restaurant, and bar!

There was no parking on the street, but fortunately there was a courtyard that had room for several big adventure bikes! And, the courtyard had some very relaxing areas as well.

We managed to wedge them all in!

My room at $20 per night...

Here is the restaurant area. After Hurricane John a few years ago, the entire hotel was under 2 meters of mud...What an amazing comeback!

If you are into BBQ, this was the place to eat. Every meal was cooked individually, so the food was fantastic and it was a leisurely dining experience!

More, as the trip continues. Thanks for looking!

Steve
Old 05-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #26
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
I know the feeling of "Pretty spectacular and my mediocre photographs don't do it justice". Happens every time I look at the photos I have taken upon returning from a trip. Someday--Baja!!!! Looks like you guys are having a great time! Thanks for sharing. Definitely standing by for more!
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #27
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, more pix forthcoming...for me, it seems like my photos cannot convey the sense of wonder and awe I always feel when traveling to new places. I guess that's why I run them through my head over and over...

Steve
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #28
unlokr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Note to self:

-go south to find sun and warmth!

Thanks for the story and pics!
05 Yamaha TTR-125L (Daughter's Ride)
05 Yamaha TTR-90 (Son's Ride)
unlokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #29
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, back to the story...we are still in Mulege and enjoying our stay at the hotel...here's dinner as modeled by a very smelly, intoxicated German... : BO aside, he was a pretty fascinating guy-just another expat who decided to drop off the earth, into Mulege!

What a great little hotel!

Never got tired of the courtyard of the hotel...bikes, conversation, friendly people. How could you go wrong?

Magoo's Coffee and Sweets...I got up early the next morning and went walking. I found this place about a block up from the hotel. The pastries were awesome, the coffee dreadful. Also, as you can see, I'm going for the high security approach. Note my passport holder casually looped around my neck...opeslap:

We maneuvered the bikes out of the courtyard. The ramp heading into the street was very steep!

Soon, back on the bikes heading toward Loreto!

More soon!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #30
salty_monk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Nice Write-Up, reading with interest, we head out there early June also in a team of 4 people & will probably be following a fairly similar route :)

Any plans to post a route map with an indicator of how long it took to get where?

What was the max mileage between gas stops you encountered? Some are telling me no more than 200 miles others are telling me that the required range is much higher...

salty_monk screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 10:44 PM
salty_monk is offline   Reply With Quote