awesome reporting...

nice to see rich on this rr.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #32
chilango13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Nice report and pictures

A group of 6-8 riders will be heading down to Cabo in July. Can't wait. Again, nice RR.
chilango13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #33
fltplan
Just toolin around

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for posting with pics. I'll be going to baja soon and this was great info.
fltplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #34
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
Nice Write-Up, reading with interest, we head out there early June also in a team of 4 people & will probably be following a fairly similar route :)

Any plans to post a route map with an indicator of how long it took to get where?

What was the max mileage between gas stops you encountered? Some are telling me no more than 200 miles others are telling me that the required range is much higher...

Depending on the route you should be good with 200miles. I can only go 210-250KM/tank and I and another buddy only ran out of gas once... It was going down to towards San Fransico over to El Arco, and because our group got mixxed up we had to go west to the highway, then south. There was a sand trail going south which is really nice, but I think we would have ran out of gas either way.

Besides that we did a good mix of dirt and you just have to plan your loops. All the towns had gas if you ask around. Only had to get gas three times out of milk jugs/barrel, but once it wasnt required and just done for comfort.

Have fun! Baja is a great place to ride and interact with the people. You realize what you have going on when you get to LaPaz and Cabo, you wish you would have stayed north, or at least in the small towns.

I'm currently planning my mexico/central america trip hopefully to take place this winter!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #35
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Ok, back to the story...after a hot, dry, and windy ride across the desert, we arrived in Loreto...we checked into our hotel.

Loreto was to be our turn around point. With only a week, there was scant time to really see and experience everything Baja had to offer. Even so, I was really looking forward to relaxing for a couple of days!

I had no problem getting into relax mode!

We had a choice to put the bikes right up next to the rooms:

One of the folk dancers at the hotel..there were tourists from a cruise ship and they were performing. You should have seen the looks on some of the passengers' faces when we strode through on the way to our rooms. Several of the men had wistful looks on their faces when we told them were we'd come from...

Here are a few more pix from around our digs...

It was in the mid 80s, but check out the whitecaps on the Sea of Cortez. Wind was a constant companion on our ride!

Downtown Loreto!

This is another way to get to Loreto. This was the last cruise ship of the season...

There is a shopping district, and there are many interesting things to buy!

Great lunch here. Check out the scallop cocktail!

More later!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #36
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 767
On Baja Time

So glad you all made it to Mexico.....yes the stories of violence are over-rated....and limited to specific areas mostly border towns. Too bad the hard working Mexicans that depend on tourism are feeling the brunt of it. Good that you all are helping out the local economy. Beautiful pictures, its a paradise down there.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #37
salty_monk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Depending on the route you should be good with 200miles. I can only go 210-250KM/tank and I and another buddy only ran out of gas once... It was going down to towards San Fransico over to El Arco, and because our group got mixxed up we had to go west to the highway, then south. There was a sand trail going south which is really nice, but I think we would have ran out of gas either way.

Besides that we did a good mix of dirt and you just have to plan your loops. All the towns had gas if you ask around. Only had to get gas three times out of milk jugs/barrel, but once it wasnt required and just done for comfort.

Have fun! Baja is a great place to ride and interact with the people. You realize what you have going on when you get to LaPaz and Cabo, you wish you would have stayed north, or at least in the small towns.

I'm currently planning my mexico/central america trip hopefully to take place this winter!
Thanks for info.

Thanks for allowing me to jump into thread write up. It looks great. I can't wait.

I was trying to piece together the exact route from your thread, I think I'm nearly there but it would be great if you could post it. Just want to compare with what we plan. We have Sat through Sun so similar timescale.
salty_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Our trip was pretty straight forward...into Mexico on a Saturday, stayed in San Felipe. Next morning, off to Puertocitos, past Coco's to Bay of Los Angeles. From here, it was off to Mulege. From here, it was down the coast for Loreto. We stayed in Loreto for two days.

I highly recommend you get off the bikes for a day or two, and Loreto or Mulege would be good places to do so. Get on Mexican time...relax, sightsee, talk to the locals, eat some great food, etc, etc.

After two days in Loreto we headed north to Santa Rosalia, I believe. "Mama Espinsosa's??" I think owned both the restaurant and the motel. Highly overrated restaurant, but if you like the off road racing scene I suppose it's worthwhile for all the pics of racers on the walls....

From here, it was north on the pacific side up through Tecate. Yeah, I could have used one more night in Mexico, but I understood that my riding buddies had many miles to go once we departed Mexico....

Steve
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #39
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anyway, back to the story...

Here is the mission in Loreto:

At the street market:

On the malecon...at night the locals promenaded here, and the main street was filled with teenagers doing what teenagers do best. Hanging out!

This odd looking cactus was in a pot on my table at the bar...

A great window...

Tropical skies...

Rich begins a walk into the outdoor shopping area. Note the absence of tourists...

The mannequins in the stores all had J-Lo butts.

Schools out for the day!

More as we explore Loreto!

Steve
Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #40
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, w#rk has been getting in the way of writing and posting, but here goes...Loreto was the most southern stop of our trip. Regretably, we all had places to be a few days in the future, so we made the most of Loreto, and then headed north towards home...

The rich in Loreto are very rich.

A nice view from the hotel out towards the islands. This place reeked tranquility!

http://r12rtpilot.smugmug.com/Motorc...19_9WiKj-L.jpg

Not bad for restaurant dining...food was good, and the view was better. This was a great spot to sit outside and enjoy a drink!

I felt safer knowing that in the event of a tsunami or hurricane, the evacuation route was clearly marked...straight out to sea!

Under the tropical skies...

I highly recommend "La Palapa" in Loreto for great Mexican fare. I loved the fried red snapper dinner.

True adventurers these two ladies rode their 650 GSs down from the Pacific Northwest, if memory serves me...

Sunrise in Loreto.

Yes, the contrast between the haves and have-nots is shocking.

All too soon, it was time to jump back on the bikes and head north. I knew there was much to still see, but I was sad to leave. The warmth of the people, the food, the sights had made an indelible mark on my spirit.

Here is a shot of the river that runs through Mulege. A couple of years ago a hurricane and torrential rain pretty much wiped out the town. Incredible to believe that hard work and human spirit rebuilt so much!

More soon,

Steve
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #41
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,904
awesome pics and good job steve.

i'm envious!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #42
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
"Mama Espinsosa's??" I think owned both the restaurant and the motel. Highly overrated restaurant
I can't tell you how many times I've scratched my head when hearing "You have to stop at Mama Espinosa's. They have the best [insert name of Mexican dish here] in Baja!!!" I've eaten there twice strictly for convenience and the only reason I went back the second time was to prove to myself that it couldn't really be as bad as it was the first time. Lousy and expensive! If they were in SoCal the place wouldn't last a week.

I love Loreto too as well as that drive up to San Javier mission. What a great place to chill out and relax. My son and I ate at La Palapa last time and had a great experience. Very friendly people and an overall excellent value!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #43
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

We, meaning I, got to Loreto, and decided that a full day off the bike, exploring the town and just generally chilling would be good for the soul and body, so that is what happened. Besides, can you be on Mexican Time running around like the proverbial decapitated chicken? I didn't think so.

So, we didn't make the mission inland of Loreto. Maybe next time, though truth be told, if I never ride in sand again, it'll be too soon.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #44
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
We, meaning I, got to Loreto, and decided that a full day off the bike, exploring the town and just generally chilling would be good for the soul and body, so that is what happened. Besides, can you be on Mexican Time running around like the proverbial decapitated chicken? I didn't think so.

So, we didn't make the mission inland of Loreto. Maybe next time, though truth be told, if I never ride in sand again, it'll be too soon.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve, they're paving on that road to San Javier all the time and the last time I was down they were at least 15 miles to the mission/village. I consider it the most dramatic mission in Baja, even more so than San Borja. Well worth the trip and perfect for the F800. You won't have any trouble at all and there's no sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #45
scout57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
what's not yet paved is easley traveled by car, so no problemo on your trusty steed, nice report .....
scout57 is offline   Reply With Quote