User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #1
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,285
Flinders Ranges Classic IV - 2011

The Flinders Ranges is 500 kms north of Adelaide in South Australia. This particular event was held between 7th and 11th April 2011.

You’d think that six months is a long lead-in to a bike ride but the popularity of the Flinders Classic is such that people need to organise their holidays and make other arrangements to be able to attend, so it got posted on DBW and then ADV as an option for people’s autumn riding destinations. We ended up with 75 people attending.

It all began in around 2007 when two different groups of riders met up in Blinman and enjoyed each other’s company for a couple of days, it bred a desire to catch up again and encourage others to realise the beauty and rugged rawness of this fantastic part of our country – it might have also been the endless beers or fine Barossa shiraz wine, but we’ve accepted that the landscape and riding options had a lot to do with it.

Anyway, the first Classic in 2008 was a disaster for yours truly, who 2 hours into a 5 day ride decided to nearly decapitate himself on an overhanging branch and get himself flown back to Adelaide on the RFDS. 25 guys made their way to that one, 30 got to #2, 45 to #3 and a whopping 75 found their way to Angorichina Village in the Parachilna Gorge for #4, and what a weekend that was.

About 20 of us made it on the Thursday night and managed to feed and refresh ourselves to the extent that I had some blurred vision and a monster headache on the morning’s ride. Most of us got stuck into the Public Access Route which runs from Moolooloo HS to Angorichina HS basically north east of Blinman in the northern Flinders Ranges. The entire run from our camp and back is about 85 kms.

There was a variety of bikes but I was following ‘Chris’ on his DR650 through a number of deep silt sections which were broken up by deep ruts. We later found out he had 22 PSI in the front and 26psi in the back – fair to say he came off a few times. As I’d approach him on each occasion he’d say that he appreciated the help, only to find that I was there with camera in hand to record his misfortune for the www. He’d learn.

We had a great ride and at the end of it rewarded ourselves with a beer at the Blinman Pub. I got back to the Village and set about welcoming everyone else who turned up during the day and guiding them to their accommodation.

As promised, I had cold beers awaiting the ADV crew who had ridden up from Adelaide with KevS69 leading the way, followed by 1WD, KHB and Emu on his awesome KTM 950 SE. They did it in record time and obviously knew short cuts that Masterbrewer hadn’t been aware of in previous years.

We had 24 of us in cabins, 30 in the 45 bed dormitory and the rest camping. Once the majority had arrived, it was time for another beer so we had a couple of them and then got ready for dinner. Dave of the Angorichina Village arranged for a couple of runs in his bus and got everyone to the Blinman Pub in time for some fantastic wood oven pizzas. The scene was of about 60 people all enjoying themselves and soaking up some liquid refreshment as well as renewing acquaintances. As I looked around I realised that over the previous two years or so I’d ridden on various tracks around SA with most of these guys – and a great bunch at that.

Some were better looking that others - much better looking..

The ADV crew

We got through the pizzas basically unscathed and on Saturday morning there were four rides on offer. Doc had got into the ear of a local property owner, Stu was leading a ride to Mt Samuel, we were heading through the Gorges to Wilpena and the others were doing the Public Access Routes. Another guy, the current Touring Car Masters Group 2 National Champion, decided he wanted to head off to Arkaroola on his own and did so – so maybe it was five rides.

Basically all got home in one piece and there was the BBQ around the firepit on Saturday night. 250 snags and 200 slices of prime minute steak, 20 loaves of bread, 10 kg of onions and 10 kgs of coleslaw later we still found time for a drink and the noise levels rose slightly.

KevS69 won the Leader of the Pack trophy for not only leading the ADV guys there but for also donating 60 lts of homemade beer to the party.
McFear won the GC tyre discount voucher for riding his Ducati with our ADV crew through the Gorges
Mrs Pops won a Spirit of the Classic award for bringing her own Honda and sidecar to the event
Chris won a Spirit of the Classic award for picking up his DR so often during the day
And Conman62 won a Spirit of the Classic trophy for getting his KTM blessed by a priest before the event but still coming off 10 times and drowning it once......that’s the spirit.

Another late night.

Sunday was a mixture of rides again, and one guy managed to flip his Husaberg 450 in front of me whilst the camera was working away.......

Going

Gone

Another managed to run his Husaberg 450 into something and damage a shoulder which the friendly ambo at Blinman (Noel) had a look at and sent him away with two Panadol.

Sunday night was another piss up around the fire after Feral Mixed Grills at the Parachilna Pub and my assessment was that after four nights of this we should have all won trophies.

Got home Monday in reasonable shape and eager to do it all again in 2012.

We have a whole lot of organised fun up there and this year was close to the best yet. Great people having a great time in a magnificent setting.

At the end of the day we sent off nearly $700 to the Childhood Cancer Charity, $240 to a holiday home called Bradley’s place down near Victor Harbor (for kids with cancer and their families to have some quality time) and a small gesture to our old mate Masterbrewer and his wife who are having a hard time healthwise and we wanted them to have a holiday on us.

We had a ball and I love the Flinders.

The Mayor (really) of the Flinders and his CRF which had just thrown the header pipe.

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 05:26 AM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Some further pictorial evidence

"Just having a crack"
Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev View Post

Great stuff, Trev. What an awesome event. Well done on organising it. Glad to hear everyone survived it and had a brilliant time. How was the weather up there? And just curious, what kind of bike's this one? It's a bit hard to make out. Looks homebrewed.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
KevS69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Trev you a champion

What an awesome weekend, thanks Trev, here is a link to my photos, http://kevs69.smugmug.com/Other/Flin...48659341_bfDDv

KevS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Good one Trev!

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Great stuff, Trev. What an awesome event. Well done on organising it. Glad to hear everyone survived it and had a brilliant time. How was the weather up there? And just curious, what kind of bike's this one? It's a bit hard to make out. Looks homebrewed.
Good pick Sundowner. It's an 'old' Transalp belonging to Backonthebike. He put it together from some boxes of parts and as an indication of its life, it uses 3 litres of oil every 1000 kms but as Tim says, it saves having to do oil changes. He rode it everywhere we did, including some pretty knarly tracks - and all with Ray Bans and a bandana on.

The weather was magnificent, albeit a little warm on the Friday and it rained for an hour or two Saturday night while we were trying to cook for 75 people - but it was alright, they drank instead.

The guy sitting down with the Feral Mixed Grill in front of him is Squily (from WA). He had his ankle welded together on the Wed before the event, in WA, rode home on the Thursday, loaded up the bike and then left Esperence on Friday morning on his monster Honda and made it to us for a quick overnighter arriving late Saturday night. He enjoyed it so much he stayed until Monday heading off with some suggestions about his intended trip to Byron Bay....that's adventure riding!!

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 05:27 PM
Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

And there was rocks, rocks and MORE rocks

Old 04-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Looks like the Robertstown property where we go, in places, Kipo. I'm wondering what happened after the DRZ encountered those bigger rocks?? Any reason why the vision ceased at that stage??

"Just having a crack"
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
27rich
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 358
great report trev, hope to see you all next year.
1989 XTZ 750 super tenere SOLD
27rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks like the Robertstown property where we go, in places, Kipo. I'm wondering what happened after the DRZ encountered those bigger rocks?? Any reason why the vision ceased at that stage??
No, nothing to hide (I didnt fall off) I waited for the bikes on my left and then rode off.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Everyone was commenting on how clean the Husaberg colours were. We had a couple of 450's and a 570 up there and besides going pretty well, it was just plain obvious that the colour coded gear the Husa riders wear keeps free of dust etc.

Some wag did mention that collectively they looked like the slips cordon for the Sri Lankan cricket team!!!!!

Until the last day when I saw this up at their shack....I asked what was going on and one of the lady folk told me that the boys had asked for their gear to be washed every night so it was fresh in the morning......

FFS fellas, you're supposed to get dirty on these trips - it comes with the territory..........

"Just having a crack"
Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

This piece of footage is some of the best I've seen. It's taken from atop the Husaberg fe570 that was up there with us and Blue Berger certainly lets it rip along this part of a Public Access Route. It goes for 7 minutes or so but just shows what the terrain etc is like. Turn up the volume, there is nothing around that sounds like a 570 in full flight. If you don't think he was trying just wait for the heavy breathing at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=919Y7...layer_embedded

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 07:01 PM
Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,519
Great report Trev

Quote:
As promised, I had cold beers awaiting the ADV crew who had ridden up from Adelaide with KevS69 leading the way, followed by 1WD, KHB and Emu on his awesome KTM 950 SE. They did it in record time and obviously knew short cuts that Masterbrewer hadn’t been aware of in previous years.
It's called bitumen Trev but the first half of the ride up was fantastic, thanks Kev

On another note,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev
At the end of the day we sent off nearly $700 to the Childhood Cancer Charity, $240 to a holiday home called Bradley’s place down near Victor Harbor (for kids with cancer and their families to have some quality time) and a small gesture to our old mate Masterbrewer and his wife who are having a hard time healthwise and we wanted them to have a holiday on us.
I am humbled by the generosity of my great riding buddies & would like to express my appreciation for your totally unexpected gesture.

The feeling of elation & renewed fighting strength, from receiving simple pleasures for both your mind & body during the "existance" stage of the treatment processes, cannot be expressed in words.

As you may know Mrs MB's father has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer and his recent wish before the pain sets in, was to see his beloved homeland Ukrainian Cossack Dancers perform in Melbourne this month.

Your generosity will infact be helping two cancer sufferers, as his wish will come true and Mrs MB will have a treasured opportunity of quality time with her father.

Thank you.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer View Post
As you may know Mrs MB's father has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer and his recent wish before the pain sets in, was to see his beloved homeland Ukrainian Cossack Dancers perform in Melbourne this month.

Regarding the little pressie for yourselves, everyone thought it was a great idea, especially seeing as you put yourself out so much for others when organising or leading rides.....as they say, "what goes around............"

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 04-23-2011 at 02:05 AM
Old 04-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 795
Awesome report.... thanks for sharing...!!
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote