User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Rich2wd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
990 Adventure + Moto Hooligan airbox

G'day all, has anyone here besides 'holeshotmike' http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=15308241 that have fitted the Moto Hooligan Airbox to their 990 Adventure?

I understand that it will diminish the dirt bike capabilities of the ADV but as a HP junkie and riding a majority of my time on tar it has to be a good thing right. Are there others out there with the Moto Hooligan Airbox?

Cheers Rich
Rich2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 647
I had a friend put it on his Super Duke and loved it! With an aftermarket exhaust and tuned, it added a lot to the bike. Plus, I've met Aaron (his shop is near my house) and he's a super cool guy. Sorry, that's all the input I have for you.
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,949
For Dirt Use you can now get an Outerware Pre-filter.

http://www.motohooliganperformance.c...&product_id=76

I hope to start testing this on my AWD 950 as soon as I can get a custom base plate made. Great looking parts from Aaron.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Rich2wd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

G'day CJ, yep I'm onto it mate the Outerwears pre-filter. I haven't read a bad word about the Moto Hooligan airbox, I just hope it suits the life style of the ADV. Hey CJ why the necessity of the custom base plate?

Cheers Rich

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
I wouldn't bother with it for an Adventure. They work great on the other LC-8s but the Adv. has those big fuel tanks that block all the engine heat in. If you put it on without making some kind of heat management you will loose hp.
This is the P-3 that Marlee Parks made before the motohooligan guy came on the scene. Later I made a raised Carbon fibre roof like the moto box. The raised roof gave me 2hp but that only brought me back up to where I was with my modified stock airbox. In this picture I was still getting more hot air in. The front had to be closed off all the way to the radiator.

I was thinking about adding some NACA ducts on the sides of the glove box.
You can see that there isn't any room on the sides really for airflow once you try and block out the hot air.

At this point I was still getting 160 degree temps in the airbox area.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
924sas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
i was thinking of the hooligan airbox - it just looks the thing
but went for the all in one package of a guy in my home town - dyno run, optimizing via mapping in small box (similar to pc), airbox (simple version, the bottom part stays original)

the outcome is more than satisfying for me and would be even better, if i wouldnt ride with db-killer and cat...

the only downside is the "sound" of the airbox if you twist the throttle... yes, it puts a huge grin on your face and it's great if you want to shock people, but on the long run... not sure yet.

and yes, it would be better, if there would be more cold air... but loosing some horses on the way doesnt bother me at all. she still pulls my arms long

924sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich too_wheelz View Post
Hey CJ why the necessity of the custom base plate?

Cheers Rich
I need it offset for the Front Wheel Drive shaft. No issues for fit on a normal 950 Carbed bikes. Fit on perfect.

I don't have the option of an air box on this bike and I'm not ready to swap on the FCR's until the bike gets broken in a bit more.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
I need it offset for the Front Wheel Drive shaft. No issues for fit on a normal 950 Carbed bikes. Fit on perfect.

I don't have the option of an air box on this bike and I'm not ready to swap on the FCR's until the bike gets broken in a bit more.
My understanding is that our carbs (not sure if this applies to all CV carbs, but probably does) have better response if the airbox vacuum is higher (more restricting airbox) rather than lower (free-er flowing airbox). This is the reason I guess that H2W kit works so well with the additional filter, but it looses a tiny bit of top end response.
So, if this is correct, then you will loose low-mid torque on a 950, something that I guess is valuable to your AWD bike.
Correct me if I am wrong.

With FI is a whole different story.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
Rich2wd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies fella's, an interesting read weighing up the pro's & cons in regards to the Moto Hooligan Airbox. I'm hoping for further discussion and information in the near future.

Cheers Rich
Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
My understanding is that our carbs (not sure if this applies to all CV carbs, but probably does) have better response if the airbox vacuum is higher (more restricting airbox) rather than lower (free-er flowing airbox). This is the reason I guess that H2W kit works so well with the additional filter, but it looses a tiny bit of top end response.
So, if this is correct, then you will loose low-mid torque on a 950, something that I guess is valuable to your AWD bike.
Correct me if I am wrong.

With FI is a whole different story.
I agree. Adding the H2W prefilter and jet kit long before the AWD conversion did seem to add more bottom end pull and throttle response. It also smoothed out a dip in the power curve around 3,500 RPM when I did some dyno testing. I'm no carb expert. If the bikes running and I can travel from sea level to 13,000 feet I'm happy. I don't have time to seek perfection.

After the AWD conversion I could no longer use the Stock Airbox. My only option was to run an open filter element. I put the jetting back to stock to richen it up again and I was surprised it felt so well after reading so much on here about how bad it was going to be.???? Maybe the 2-1 pipe helped in the bottom end power. I can still pull the front end up like I could in the past. I do feel more top end power on the freeway now (passing power).

It's running. I drove it to Moab and back. Geek drove it. He didn't seem to complain about the loss of power. I have abouut 6,000 miles on this setup so far. I guess until I get it back on the dyno I won't know for sure. I checked it at around 70,000 before the AWD conversion. When I get back from Alaska-Mexico in late July I'll try and dyno it again. Should be about 100,000 then.

W/ the AWD the bike pulls so much more. The LC8 still has enough power to spin up both wheels in the dirt at will. If I did lose a little bottom end, it's not slowed me down. I wish I had more insite, but that's all I got at the moment. Let the testing continue.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,731
if it was made for fcr's and had a large base plate that kept out the hot and ducted in cold air I'd want one.
cj?

I'd sacrifice the odd deep water crossing for more power all the time.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
cjracer
AWD please!!

I didn't "Feel" an issue with heat or notice the loss of HP, but Tahoeacr has done more testing than I have and I'm sure he has the numbers to prove it.

W/ the FCRs, you just put Pod filters on, that's a project for later this year. Flanny did a slick setup for the FCRs.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 714
News Flash

H2W is working on jetting for the M H air box He will be going to the dyno next week
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
H2W is working on jetting for the M H air box He will be going to the dyno next week
In case he reads this, I do hope he will provide graphs of the M.H. setup against the prefilter setup
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
924sas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
here is one of my graphs ...but we will have another go once i've got the mapping from original to akra changed...

924sas is offline   Reply With Quote