ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
The Zumo 550 has BT. Do not think 500/550 Nuvis do.
Correct, the NUVI 550 does not have BT.

........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #17
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
The Zumo 550 has BT. Do not think 500/550 Nuvis do.

Shouldn't that "Answer" button be grayed out?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that the 220 and 500/550 are the exact same hardware.
I think you are right. I can do without the BlueTooth, just give me the option to turn off the automatic off-route recalc on my Nuvi 500. I asked Garmin and they said "no plans to add this feature"

That said, I've been able to work around it by just adding lots of vias. You can have 200 per route. If I get a recalc it's just to the last missed via.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #19
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
can you pair the 220 with a cardo headset and hear both your riding partner (with a cardo paired with you) and the gps giving directions at the same time ?
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrocks View Post
can you pair the 220 with a cardo headset and hear both your riding partner (with a cardo paired with you) and the gps giving directions at the same time ?
That would be a function of the Cardo, and I'm pretty sure it's a feature they tout.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
I think you are right. I can do without the BlueTooth, just give me the option to turn off the automatic off-route recalc on my Nuvi 500. I asked Garmin and they said "no plans to add this feature"

That said, I've been able to work around it by just adding lots of vias. You can have 200 per route. If I get a recalc it's just to the last missed via.
Yeah, that recalc drove me batshit crazy when I was on the oregon discovery route. There are sections with dozens of roads many that don't connect and the thing would re-route me 50 miles to go 500 feet. I didn't realize it when I programmed the route and didn't have nearly enough via points. But then again, 200 per route and what 10 or 15 routes when you start heading across multiple states on dirt roads you run out of routes quickly. PARTICULARLY since you need a whole nuther route to go the other way

Garmin took pitty on me and took my third Nuvi 550 and $150 in exchange for a Zumo 550. This year I think I'm still going to overkill it and I'm going to load City nav, and openstreetmaps on the Zumo, and I'm seriously considering adding a 76c or delorme or a lowrance Baja as well.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Yeah, that recalc drove me batshit crazy when I was on the oregon discovery route. There are sections with dozens of roads many that don't connect and the thing would re-route me 50 miles to go 500 feet. I didn't realize it when I programmed the route and didn't have nearly enough via points. But then again, 200 per route and what 10 or 15 routes when you start heading across multiple states on dirt roads you run out of routes quickly. PARTICULARLY since you need a whole nuther route to go the other way

Garmin took pitty on me and took my third Nuvi 550 and $150 in exchange for a Zumo 550. This year I think I'm still going to overkill it and I'm going to load City nav, and openstreetmaps on the Zumo, and I'm seriously considering adding a 76c or delorme or a lowrance Baja as well.
Zumos have City Nav already loaded and the Z550 can take Topo on the card.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #23
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:

I've been happy with the Nuvi 500 for street riding (I have a 60Cx if I need to do tracks). FYI - the 10 route limit is deceiving - you can store pretty much unlimited routes on the microSD card in .gpx files and import them as needed. You just need to delete some from the 10-route memory to make room. And any that you delete can be reloaded later if you need them.
I don't really blame Garmin for not letting you reverse a "follow roads" autoroute. If you have vias on one side of 4-lane divided highways it will go nuts.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #24
ZXMorty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I bought a used Zuma 220 from an inmate and I have had a few problems. First the wire direct harness didn't work so I had to use the 12 volt power plug. It worked fine that way a couple of times. Now for some reason when plugged in with power it won't switch from internal battery to 12 volt. I used it this past weekend and it had me put on an extra 30 miles out of the way. Anyone have a clue what is going on with the power issue? It also won't bluetooth with my Iphone. Overall not very happy with the purchase.
ZXMorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #25
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXMorty View Post
I bought a used Zuma 220 from an inmate and I have had a few problems. First the wire direct harness didn't work so I had to use the 12 volt power plug. It worked fine that way a couple of times. Now for some reason when plugged in with power it won't switch from internal battery to 12 volt. I used it this past weekend and it had me put on an extra 30 miles out of the way. Anyone have a clue what is going on with the power issue? It also won't bluetooth with my Iphone. Overall not very happy with the purchase.
Well, the easiest solution is to check the plug tip and see if the fuse has blown.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #26
ZXMorty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Done that, when plugged into a power outlet the green power light comes on. It's getting power, but wants to only pull from the internal battery which is almost dead.
ZXMorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,664
This GPS research is making me crazier than batshit. But let me see if I get this right:

You cannot turn off auto-reroute on the Nuvi 550.

You can turn off auto-reroute on the Zumo 220.

Is that right?

Also, can anybody comment to route planning on the Nuvi 550 versus the Zumo 220?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #28
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I have had the 220 for several months now and it is a good GPS. It is an upgrade from my old Quest. It doesn't do tracks (I have a 60CX for that) and i do not use the blue tooth feature, but I know it has it. I can turn auto calc off. Something you can't do with the Nuvi 500/550.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
Orangeshirtdude
Fight the Power Commander

Oddometer: 65
I'm seriously considering the Garmin Zumo 220 because I can get a new one for about $400 compared to at least $200 more for a 550 or 6xx. I do not like to listen to music while I ride. Plus I'm on Sprint so as soon as I get out in the hills of West Virginia, it's game over for incoming calls. Even if I had signal, I don't want to talk on the phone anyway. Therefore, bluetooth to the extent that I can run a wireless earpiece is enough for me. Seems like a good little unit for motorcycling.
Orangeshirtdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #30
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 295
I should have my 220 in a few days. What is auto calc? Also, I would like to use the bluetooth but don't use any comm devices except the bluetooth for the TPX radar detector. Is there a simple bluetooth receiver that I can use-something like the hands free earpieces but that will fit into a helmet?