Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #46
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
Yeah, but if you put that 28 degree and place it into that 46 degree and then take 11 from that you derive to whatever you guys are talking about!

I want that raising link, period! Better is just that, better!
Better on the road, but maybe not so good if you come across some ruts in a road covered in dust. It may help to have a slower response in that case.

YAMAHA have probably done this to keep the average "returning rider" safe. This well developed non-switchable ABS etc all seems to point in that direction.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 AM   #47
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
The Wasp links get really expensive to me with postage, etc. However I will be ordering some stuff from Off The Road DE and they have a +35mm kit. What do you think about that? Maybe too much raise?
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #48
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
The Wasp links get really expensive to me with postage, etc. However I will be ordering some stuff from Off The Road DE and they have a +35mm kit. What do you think about that? Maybe too much raise?
How so? - Where are you?
The prices you see on the Motorradgarage website include 10% gst which is removed for export sales.
If you were quoted a price from Mike for shipping it would be a 2>4 day worldwide express service.

The suspension raising kit is complete with links + precision cut and pressed centre stand extensions (weld-on) + cnc machined side stand extension (weld-on) + comprehensive instructions for the correct installation.

There are no other kits of this kind as complete as what is offered in the MotorradWorks product.

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #49
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
The Euro to South Pacific Paso exchange rate is not that bad. I will have to admit that postage to Portugal might be a bit of a killer. I will have to agree with Wasp, what he provides in the kit is pretty good for the dollar value.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #50
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Please do not take me wrong, I would never question the quality nor the bang for the buck of Wasp's products. My preference would go over his products any time. However, due to my geographical location and economical constrains, importing an item from half a globe away is not always a clever move. Keep in mind that import duties and postage costs to Portugal are quite above the EU average.

My question was only to see if those links where a viable alternative from a much closer suplier, nothing more
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #51
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

You have no apologies to make.

Quote:
Please do not take me wrong, I would never question the quality nor the bang for the buck of Wasp's products. My preference would go over his products any time. However, due to my geographical location and economical constrains, importing an item from half a globe away is not always a clever move. Keep in mind that import duties and postage costs to Portugal are quite above the EU average.

My question was only to see if those links where a viable alternative from a much closer suplier, nothing more
ZZ. Please dont take my previous questions or statement the wrong way. You (or anyone else) have no one to answer to concerning what you buy or from whom.
I am simply trying to get a handle on peoples perception of value and costs associated in getting our products to the faithful masses around the globe.

I pointed out what comes included in the MotorradWorks kit as a yardstick to what you will need to do this modification successfully and correctly.

I originally looked at purchasing this product from Off-The-Road and, although the price including shipping was fair, it did not include everything required to do the job properly. Upon measuring the rise height that I required I decided that these were too tall and I felt that the drive angle was greater than I was comfortable with from an engineering perspective. This is my opinion based on my calculations and trials only, and I mean no bad joojoo towards the company. This is why I manufactured my own product and settled on 25mm lift.

Do your homework and at the end of the day buy what makes economical and ergonomic sense to you..
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #52
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Their kit now includes raisers for the centerstand, but still lacks a sidestand extension. I'm also afraid that a 35mm raise is too much, mainly without some raise of the front
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #53
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Their kit now includes raisers for the centerstand, but still lacks a sidestand extension. I'm also afraid that a 35mm raise is too much, mainly without some raise of the front
In my evaluation it was not so much the change to the steering geometry that concerned me, more the increased angle of the drive joints as the swing arm is at full droop.
Having said that, I dont think I would like to go much steeper in the geometry than I have now with the 25mm raising kit.. It all feels perfect as it is.

35mm may be fine for some people but I did not want to raise the suspension so high that I had to lower the seat. I run with the seat in the high position as the seat to peg height was already a bit low for my liking. I have actually fitted SWM lowered pegs as well to allow the best sit to stand ergo's for me.

Greg.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #54
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't really care about seat height, even with "only" 32'' inseam I feel safer on higher bikes (go figure).
About the angle of the drive, I have to study this better, but if we imagine the suspension with some sag, the angle don't really changes that much from an extended suspension with standard links. I'll check this better
Old 05-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #55
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Sorry to come into this so late.

If I am not mistaken, Old Git Ray's post #31 has a misleading calculation of fork angle change with raising of the rear by 25 mm.
The conversion factor (approx 1.75) got multiplied instead of (properly) divided.

Raising the rear that much, gives a fork angle reduction of about 0.93 degrees.
Not much, in the greater scheme of things.

Still, a very slight steepening of fork angle, plus a small raising of centre of gravity, would give some sort of different feel to the bike's steering.
Though I'd have to suspect that "the power of expectation" would be the biggest part of the new "feel".
Midnullarbor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #56
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Still, a very slight steepening of fork angle, plus a small raising of centre of gravity, would give some sort of different feel to the bike's steering.
Though I'd have to suspect that "the power of expectation" would be the biggest part of the new "feel".
That would be fine for me - a slight quickening of the steering, combined with a small increase in ground clearance sounds about what I'd want.

Of course I don't have the bike yet so who knows, I may be perfectly happy with it stock!

Trevor
Old 05-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #57
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
great write up.. and now we wait
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #58
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:

If I am not mistaken, Old Git Ray's post #31 has a misleading calculation of fork angle change with raising of the rear by 25 mm.
The conversion factor (approx 1.75) got multiplied instead of (properly) divided.

Bugger....I hate it when I am wrong.

Thanks for that. My simple Trig was not so simple after all. I used "Tan" and not "Inv Tan". Blame it on my age.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #59
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Bugger....I hate it when I am wrong.

Thanks for that. My simple Trig was not so simple after all. I used "Tan" and not "Inv Tan". Blame it on my age.
Mathematically it may work out to the figure you have arrived at, but i'm not sure if it's as simple as all that because it actually works out to a 1.8deg change to 26.2deg (as stated earlier) in real life.

Greg.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #60
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Mathematically it may work out to the figure you have arrived at, but i'm not sure if it's as simple as all that because it actually works out to a 1.8deg change to 26.2deg (as stated earlier) in real life.

Greg.
Greg
I know it is academic, but show us your figures. I appreciate what you said about the rear pivoting about the swing arm but AFAIK the bike as a whole pivots about the front wheel spindle when you raise the rear regardless of how you do it.

How do you get 1.8deg when we get 0.93 (after being sent back to school of course) ?

Just askin. You have been doing this more than most but I am intrigued to see how you work it out.

Ray